1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ford F5

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:01 PM
fordf5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got them pesky lugs off. Still waiting on some brake parts. Master cylinder is rebuilt and back in place. Have been busy with removal and painting of all things brake related. Started running new brake lines.

I also dismantled and repainted the heater. It had been a mouse house.
.been busy with many tasks and finally begining to see some progress.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:28 AM
fordf5
Senior User
I am in need of a passenger side front wheel cylinder 1 1/4".
Any sources would be greatly appreciated.
.....Thanks Roger

Old 04-24-2014, 06:00 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Chuck's trucks. Be sure to save the fitting from the old hose at the wheel cylinder end.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:26 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
Chuck's trucks. Be sure to save the fitting from the old hose at the wheel cylinder end.
Ray did you get them from NAPA or elsewhere? I'm pretty sure I got the number from you, a W4571, I just looked it up and I got mine from Amazon. I paid $75 for the pair including shipping.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:02 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Originally Posted by harleymsn
Ray did you get them from NAPA or elsewhere? I'm pretty sure I got the number from you, a W4571, I just looked it up and I got mine from Amazon. I paid $75 for the pair including shipping.
Joe, you are correct. The number is as you show. I did get mine through Amazon, as well. I remember our conversation about the number. I replied this morning while on my first cup of coffee.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
This has been a really fun and interesting build. Funny, I am running a paralell thread on a '47 2 ton on the '47 and older page. Same teardown and re-using a good used 8ba etc, etc. Does your truck have a remote brake booster? I would be interested in seeing how best to deal with it. I removed mine for now because I don't want to spend the $ to have it rebuilt, so been taking some test drives without it. I was looking for an '51 or '52 f4 or f5 but found the '47 instead. I really like your truck and what you are doing with it. You seem as obsessed as me. None of this complete disassembly and waiting 5 years to slowly put it back together with all new parts. Nothing wrong with that if you want to end up with a perfectly restored and beautiful truck. That is what the vehicle hobby is primarily about. Just sayin' it's good to see another guy building on a wing, a prayer and a shoestring. Or is it a piece of baling wire? Can't wait to see the video. Your son can do that for you. Thanks for sharing your truck with us, and enjoy your kids in sports. I have many fond memories of my four kids and following the teams. Believe me there is PLENTY of truck time after they move out.....

Old 04-24-2014, 10:51 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Nice build! Is your radiator support magically floating in mid-air? Must make painting easier!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:09 PM
fordf5
Senior User
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
This has been a really fun and interesting build. Funny, I am running a paralell thread on a '47 2 ton on the '47 and older page. Same teardown and re-using a good used 8ba etc, etc. Does your truck have a remote brake booster? I would be interested in seeing how best to deal with it. I removed mine for now because I don't want to spend the $ to have it rebuilt, so been taking some test drives without it. I was looking for an '51 or '52 f4 or f5 but found the '47 instead. I really like your truck and what you are doing with it. You seem as obsessed as me. None of this complete disassembly and waiting 5 years to slowly put it back together with all new parts. Nothing wrong with that if you want to end up with a perfectly restored and beautiful truck. That is what the vehicle hobby is primarily about. Just sayin' it's good to see another guy building on a wing, a prayer and a shoestring. Or is it a piece of baling wire? Can't wait to see the video. Your son can do that for you. Thanks for sharing your truck with us, and enjoy your kids in sports. I have many fond memories of my four kids and following the teams. Believe me there is PLENTY of truck time after they move out.....

Thanks for the replies I appreciate all the information that I can get.

Gary mine does not have a booster but it definitely is a wing, prayer, and baling wire...Got about 475 in new rubber that is sitting in boxes in our living room just waiting for the reassemble process after paint.....
O yea I will have my son video the maiden voyage and try to post it here.......... and by the way the maiden voyage is going to happen this weekend........with or without brakes.....I hope
....Roger

Old 04-25-2014, 06:05 AM
fordf5
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe
Nice build! Is your radiator support magically floating in mid-air? Must make painting easier!
It looks that way but ifn you look by the old lawnmower you will see the support wire it blends in quite well with all the other junk or um i mean treasures/supplies.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:26 AM
fordf5
Senior User
I still haven't been able to locate a 1 1/4" front wheel cylinder.
The Bleeder was already screwed and broke off,,,I drilled it out and in the process went about 1/8" tooo far and I don't think that it will seal.
HELP!!!

Old 04-25-2014, 07:30 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
fordf5 -have you tried Chuck at Chuck's Trucks? If he doesn't have the part he probably knows were to find one. 203-288-2769

Old 04-25-2014, 07:53 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I got all four of my wheel cylinders for my F4 from Chuck's Trucks.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:47 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fordf5
I still haven't been able to locate a 1 1/4" front wheel cylinder.
The Bleeder was already screwed and broke off,,,I drilled it out and in the process went about 1/8" tooo far and I don't think that it will seal.
HELP!!!
Amazon.com: Dorman W4571 Wheel Cylinder: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman W4571 Wheel Cylinder: Automotive

This is a 1 3/8 instead of 1 1/4 but it is the correct replacement.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Originally Posted by harleymsn
Amazon.com: Dorman W4571 Wheel Cylinder: Automotive

This is a 1 3/8 instead of 1 1/4 but it is the correct replacement.
I looked at that link, Joe and I bought two of them Feb, 2013

If there is any chance of the size not matching, I would certainly replace both so as equal force on each wheel.

Edit: I don't remember what size cylinder I had vs what size I now have but I've driven the truck at road speed and it has good braking power, no power assist.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:47 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
If Chuck doesn't have one, try Bob Selzam in Tom's River NJ. He has tons of parts for our vehicles. His business is called Half Ton Fun and he just sells parts for all sizes of ford trucks before '57 primarily. Sorry, I don't have his number handy, but been buying from him for 20 years. He includes a hand written paper invoice in the box and then you send him a check.

Quick Reply: Ford F5