Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making a second or third transponder (PATS) key.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:56 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Making a second or third transponder (PATS) key.

I went to have a third PATS key made so I started by ordering a transponder key online but they didn't mention anything about the quality of the second key I have. After doing some research I cancelled the order before they sent it.
If you have only one OEM key the second one has to be an oem type key with the offset oval slot on top and can only be made by hooking up to the OBD in the truck in order to make a second key so all those second keys made by hardware stores and locksmiths are just clones and are useless for making the third and fourth etc keys. The clone (second) keys they charge $80+- for are the same as the original key but some early ones have a battery in them that is only good for 7+- years (and won't help in making the third key).

Old 03-02-2014, 10:03 PM
mtnsammy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure but my EBAY keys have been duplicated several times. The way I lose keys I would be broke if it weren't for EBAY.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:17 AM
superdave02f552
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
So there's a battery in the key? I must have missed that when I took the junk key apart to see

Old 03-04-2014, 12:25 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
All your PATS questions answered

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...pats-info.html

And FYI, the RFID doesn't have a battery. That is a myth.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:05 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by superdave02f552
So there's a battery in the key? I must have missed that when I took the junk key apart to see
I said some of the older ones had batteries, look it up.

In most cases, transponder keys can be cloned. This means that the 'chip' in the existing key can be copied and written onto a special cloning chip. This will only duplicate your key and will have the exact same electronic signature that the original key has. In this case, if you have the original key erased from the car's memory, then the cloned key will also be erased. Most cloning keys have an internal battery that will die after a number of years. We use the type of cloner that will clone the key permanently and has no battery. The cloning keys with batteries usually have a bit larger head. The cloning keys we use are as close to the original manufacturer's key as is possible. Sometimes cloning is a better solution to adding extra keys. Some cars cannot be cloned yet. In some cases, cloning is the only choice. If, for example, your car only allows 4 keys and you want more than 4 keys, then cloning will be necessary.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:03 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by EXv10
If you have only one OEM key the second one has to be an oem type key with the offset oval slot on top and can only be made by hooking up to the OBD in the truck in order to make a second key so all those second keys made by hardware stores and locksmiths are just clones and are useless for making the third and fourth etc keys. The clone (second) keys they charge $80+- for are the same as the original key but some early ones have a battery in them that is only good for 7+- years (and won't help in making the third key).
yes...no...fusion of knowledge

if a PATS key you buy online has a true RFID inside...it is a true PATS key. RFID tags are dirt cheap. we're talking pennies for them. I've bought tons of these keys on eBay for $5-10 shipped

then using 2 PATS keys with my various Fords over the years, I programmed the new eBay keys to the vehicle. At no point were they ever cloned.

now, if you went to Walmart/Lowes/Home Depot and used their cloning machine...then yes you are up poop creek without a paddle. You'll have to visit an actual Locksmith with the PATS module equipment, or the Dealership. At either place, they plug into the PATS module and make it recognize/memorize 2 unique PATS keys (RFID embedded in handle).

been down that road a few times. It's usually about $50 for the Dealership to program 2 unique keys to the truck. Each time after I had the Dealership program the car, I immediately took an eBay key and made a 3rd key. Again not cloned, but a unique key that the PATS module recognizes

Old 03-04-2014, 04:04 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

do you have 2 unique keys?

or

do you have 2 keys, 1 of which is cloned from your original?

Old 03-04-2014, 08:16 AM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you only have one key the Dealership or AE can program a new one. here they charge $125 to program a key.
if you have 2 keys you can program a new one, i have use ebay key with great luck, i only get the ford ome keys. they cost $2 more but are better key.
also there can only be 8 key programed to the truck.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:10 AM
rch10007
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
yes...no...fusion of knowledge

if a PATS key you buy online has a true RFID inside...it is a true PATS key. RFID tags are dirt cheap. we're talking pennies for them. I've bought tons of these keys on eBay for $5-10 shipped

then using 2 PATS keys with my various Fords over the years, I programmed the new eBay keys to the vehicle. At no point were they ever cloned.

now, if you went to Walmart/Lowes/Home Depot and used their cloning machine...then yes you are up poop creek without a paddle. You'll have to visit an actual Locksmith with the PATS module equipment, or the Dealership. At either place, they plug into the PATS module and make it recognize/memorize 2 unique PATS keys (RFID embedded in handle).

been down that road a few times. It's usually about $50 for the Dealership to program 2 unique keys to the truck. Each time after I had the Dealership program the car, I immediately took an eBay key and made a 3rd key. Again not cloned, but a unique key that the PATS module recognizes

You just said the same thing the OP said...