Need new system for 92 F150 - should I keep the stock Y pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 11:20 AM
schnide
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new system for 92 F150 - should I keep the stock Y pipe?

I recently purchased my first Ford truck, a 92 F-150 Supercab short bed 4x4 with the 302 and E4OD. After purchase, I took it to the local shop I use for inspection. The shop says it needs a whole new exhaust system, basically from the manifolds back. I believe the stock Y-pipe is structurally okay, but should I reuse it? I've been looking around on the forums and it appears the stock y-pipe is not highly regarded as a performance accessory, but also that the off the shelf aftermarket y-pipes aren't materially better, if better at all (I was considering the Magnaflow #93307 to replace the Y-pipe and cats). I don't think a custom made Y-pipe is an option for me considering probably cost and no known local availability. So, should I keep the stock Y-pipe and replace both cats with aftermarket, or go with the Magnaflow set up (or other)? I also need muffler and tailpipe as well. Thanks guys!

Old 09-17-2013, 08:50 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What did the shop say about the Y that is on there? None of the aftermarket Y's are for performance. If your cat(s) are bad then I'd get the Magnaflow unit. As for the rest of the exhaust, you can do what you like after the cat. Personally, I'd go with a Dynomax Super Turbo or Magnaflow muffler and turn the exhaust out the side in front of the rear wheel.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:18 PM
schnide
New User
They didn't say yea or nay regarding the stock y, only that both cats, the muffler, and tailpipe need to be replaced. That's an interesting idea having the pipe exit out the side before the rear wheel. That would simplify things some. I'll be attempting the install myself.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:09 AM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would lose the y pipe and run duels. Less back pressure and better performance. Not to mention the sound. I would run true duels straight out the back. No cats and turbo or glasspack mufflers.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 956 Likes on 757 Posts
On this truck the first cat doubles as the collector for the head tubes from each side of the motor so there's no replacing that cat without replacing the Y pipe. That said the original Y pipe is stainless steel and often outlasts the truck, so unless the cats are clogged this shop is likely just trying to rip you off.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:49 PM
schnide
New User
The first cat was clogged and the PO performed "surgery" to free it up. It has about a 4"-6" cut in it with some material coming out. Second cat is coming apart at the seams. I wondered if the stock y pipe could be reused by cutting off the collector cat and replacing with a 2 inlet, single outlet universal fit cat. Apparently, that isn't an option?

Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Boy, I love stumbling on these gems. People giving advise with no clue about what they are talking about.

Ok, what you heard is true, the stock y-pipe is stainless and will likely outlast the truck. It is not a high grade stainless, so it does not stay shiny and pretty, but for the most part, it should never need to be replaced.

It is also true that none of the bolt on replacements are performance oriented. The stock setup works fine.

Yes, you can get a dual inlet single outlet replacement and have it welded in place. They fit just fine, and work just fine.

The statement that the true dual produce less backpressure and better performance is false, and is based on the false idea that a dual setup flows better. In reality, a dual setup has over double the friction and over double the inertia of a well designed single system, and that friction and inertia reduces torque, throttle response, and economy. Sound would be the only benefit, and thats if your idea of sounding better is driving around with a headache all the time. On top of that, true duals are easy to oversize. On a 302, a single 2.5" exhaust is technically oversized, a single 2.25" system meets the engines needs. Dual 2.25" exhaust is larger than a single 3" exhaust. So if you ran true duals, you would need to run 2", and I guarantee you dual 2" exhaust would flow significantly less than a single 2.25" system.

As far as attempting the install yourself, I strongly recommend you find a good muffler shop. Unless you are really good at welding, have a pipe bender, and numerous other related tools, you just don't get the quality or durability of a proper professional install. Not saying all muffler shops do a good job, but you will probably spend less for the results you get to have a pro do it.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:55 AM
svp_evo
Senior User
Yes, me too. I love it even more when the first know it all drops his 2 cents. Fact of the matter is, bigger is better if your engine needs it, and if you are going to tune your set up for the larger diameter pipe. "Good" back pressure is a lie.

If you run dual exhaust you are going to want to have your motor tuned to increase the mount of spent gasses traveling through them. Think of it like a straw.. sure a 3 inch straw is going to move more liquid, but it takes a hell of a lot more suction to get it going than it does to move the same amount of liquid through a 1 inch straw. the rules of velocity and volume apply to gas as much as liquid.

If bigger wasnt better, then every drag car set up would be running single exhaust.. only difference is their car makes the horsepower and is tuned to run with that set up.

My truck makes 400hp. If I tried to run a single 2.25 it would choke it.