56 f100 5.0 coyote swap project (help please) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 f100 5.0 coyote swap project (help please)

Old 02-28-2014, 12:54 PM
New User

Reneau87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
56 f100 5.0 coyote swap project (help please)

My son and i finally are getting somewhere with our project. We got a 56 f100 that we're doing a 5.0 coyote swap with an automatic tranny. We bought a wreck donor 2012 5.0 at the wrecking yard. We gotten the motor and tranny in the car is wire up. We took all the the part that is needed to do the swap. We are using all the factory wiring, drive by wire, intake box, pcm that came from the donor car. Has anyone done a 5.0 swap using all the original part from a donor car. And is there any program out there that available to flash the pcm. I been online looking for a standalone pcm but no one seems to offer it, I seen a kit thats for 1500 that is made for the swap but its only for manual. Please help anyone.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Post Fiend

CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
Why would you want an aftermarket PCM if you already have one from the donor? The PCM is already programmed for your engine/tranmission, no need to change anything. The PCM "talks" to the engine and transmission and makes decisons on how to control each based on some external factors. The external factors you need to be concerned with are the fuel system (high pressure pump and return line) and the exhaust system (O2 sensors)...these are the inputs that you will need to add to the PCM to complete the system. Time to get some technical help or do some homework on the PCM device input/output control lines.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:04 PM
New User

Your right i dont want a new pcm, i just want mine to have the vats taken off, i live in sacramento and no shop says they can do that, without the pcm being flash the engine would be in a no start mode.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Post Fiend

CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
I would do some research and see where the system gets it's anti-theft code. If you have all that's "needed to do the swap" then you should have this component as well. I am not as familiar with the Ford PCM as I am with the GM/LS but it would seem reasonable that what you need from the donor is a section of the ignition circuitry. Do you have a schematic for the Ford PCM? You may find what you need in there if you know what to look for.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Post Fiend

51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.
You have to buy a new pcm kit from Ford Racing in order to get the engine to run. They only make a manual transmission version so in order to use an automatic, you have to find an aftermarket controller.
https://www.fordracingparts.com/part...KeyField=12284

The anti theft is physically hard wired into the factory pcm and can't be disabled. You would have to keep every computer module from the donor vehicle to have a chance of it starting.

I had a chance to get a wrecked 2011 F-150 5.0L for cheap but passed once I knew it would cost $2K to get it to run.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Junior User

Charlie_in_OC is starting off with a positive reputation.
@ 51 dueller... Good Digest Version of what is needed.

I'm putting a 2011 5.0 into a 64 F100 and there is ALOT ( as in $ ) that needs to be changed.

Stand alone engine harness. $

4R70W trans with a stand alone harness if you want to run a auto.

Steering? Plan on running power steering??? Aftermarket again since the 5.0 used electric instead a hydraulic pump.

LOTS to consider and budget for before dropping a motor / trans into a chassis.

@ the OP... you won't be to run the 6 speed auto... no one in the aftermarket makes harness / controller for it. As for thinking "I'll just swap everything into it" .... Good luck! You would have to swap everything. Don't give up, there are lots of Coyote swaps out there. Do some research online and you'll find a fair amount of information.

Here's a good source of info:

http://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conten...n-Roadster.pdf
Old 02-28-2014, 11:08 PM
Senior User

1low50 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Okay relax everyone. The 5.0 is still really new but things are out there. Mostly yeah, the PATS are a pain in the butt. I am attempting to make it all work myself as I bought a wrecked 2013 with 5.0 and 6r80. I have the ENTIRE car. If you don't have that then the best way to make the new 6 speed auto work is get both the aftermarket ford PCM and a controller from Powertrain Control Solutions. I just read an article about a 51 shoebox that has the v6 ecoboost with the 6r80. It has a fuel system by FAST with the transmission controller by PCS.

Reason I know this, just in case I can't get the mustang parts and computer to jive with my old 50 F1 I wanted a backup plan. Now I now it's there.

The article is 51 Ford Road Tour Custom-Golden Dream.
Plus Sean Hyland got a coyote and 6r80 to work in project Pegasus. I just can't find much info on that one for free.

Tons of info out there you just have to look. People have added the power steering for cheap. If you are willing to put this monster in the frame rails, you should be willing to make some parts at home.

As far as getting rid of the PATS I have yet to read an article or discuss with someone that has done it. Bama performance may be able to help with that if you buy their tuner kit. They do software for the mustang guys I believe. You need at least the gauge cluster, key, ignition switch (electronics, theres 2, one is a transponder ring by the key and the other is at the end that is like an old style switch) and the ECM to have a chance at making the thing start. From the electronic steering rack to the traction control, to the fuel pumps, it's all communication. They even have a restraint system control module that is basically a black box. I have heard that if it records an accident you won't be able to run the car with it in that state. However I was able to start, run, do a burnout, and drive my rolled over mustang down the street. I didn't roll it over but I drove it last...

Hope this helps but keep your chins up. This thing can get done.

Last edited by 1low50; 02-28-2014 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Things to add
Old 03-01-2014, 12:02 AM
Senior User

Jasonnoel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Jasonnoel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The headaches of Ford motors.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:59 AM
Post Fiend

51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonnoel View Post
The headaches of Ford motors.
Not really just a Ford problem. The manufacturers are starting to encrypt the PCM on the newer trucks (diesels) so programmers don't work anymore.

Computers aren't independent like they used to be and don't function well without all the components. Just like a person doesn't like having an arm or foot removed.

If you want a power steering pump get one off a 2011 F-150 as they still had a regular rack and pinion.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:50 PM
New User

wwagner479 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Coyote Engine

If it's not too late I have some information concerning your Coyote engine swap. I have a 48 F-1 and am preparing to installing a F-150 Coyote engine with automatic in my truck. Through reading lots of articles I found out that SCT Tuners can now turn off the security codes and you can run the engine and auto trans on the donor cars PCM. I talked to them just a few weeks ago and then went to their local dealer and they said no problem. The local shop is a Mustang shop and they have lots of experience doing this including installing the Coyote engine into a Fox body Mustang. The best thing is by using the original PCM you will also be able to use the original automatic transmission and not have to spend $1700 for new PCM from Ford Racing. I have not installed the engine yet but have it scheduled for the same shop to install it as soon as they can get it in their shop. They will also be installing a new Mustang II front suspension kit from CPP. Another good thing about going to a Mustang shop is they have access to lots of parts they have removed from other Coyote engines such as the Mustang shorty headers and exhaust systems that you can pick up cheap. Keep in mind that if you have to make any changes in the factory air box or piping you will need them to retune the PCM anyway. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:46 PM
Post Fiend

Good news...I figured it would just be a matter of time.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:38 AM
Senior User

jerry_s is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wish they had this/I had found this a year ago when I started planning my build. I came across a totaled 2013 shelby (rear-ended) in OH and they were willing to sell the engine & transmission for $5K (8,000 miles) but I passed as I would have to strip off all of the electronics on the engine/transmission and buy aftermarket computers - because of this there was no warranty and the shop that was selling it still wasn't sure what it would take to get it running so I'm going the crate engine with aftermarket computer route.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:51 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwagner479 View Post
If it's not too late I have some information concerning your Coyote engine swap. I have a 48 F-1 and am preparing to installing a F-150 Coyote engine with automatic in my truck. Through reading lots of articles I found out that SCT Tuners can now turn off the security codes and you can run the engine and auto trans on the donor cars PCM. I talked to them just a few weeks ago and then went to their local dealer and they said no problem. The local shop is a Mustang shop and they have lots of experience doing this including installing the Coyote engine into a Fox body Mustang. The best thing is by using the original PCM you will also be able to use the original automatic transmission and not have to spend $1700 for new PCM from Ford Racing. I have not installed the engine yet but have it scheduled for the same shop to install it as soon as they can get it in their shop. They will also be installing a new Mustang II front suspension kit from CPP. Another good thing about going to a Mustang shop is they have access to lots of parts they have removed from other Coyote engines such as the Mustang shorty headers and exhaust systems that you can pick up cheap. Keep in mind that if you have to make any changes in the factory air box or piping you will need them to retune the PCM anyway. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck.
This is great news because after doing some research I gave up and I was going to buy a 4r70 with the stand alone controller and sell the 6r80. Can I have the number of who you talked to about this please? Also I need a wiring diagram that says what exactly I need to use from the original harness. I have all the donor wiring but I didn't keep the gauges because I thought I didn't need them will that be a problem? How much is the shop charging you to do the wiring part of your swap? If it's not too expensive I will just have somebody do it because this project is starting to take a toll on me. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:52 PM
Junior User

Charlie_in_OC is starting off with a positive reputation.
wwagner479

Please post up the info on SCT / tuner you're using.

I talked to the SCT tech line... 2 weeks ago and there was nothing on the horizon of using the Ford OEM harness / ECM in a stand alone application.

I currently have a 2011 F150 engine with factory harness and ECM and Performance Automatics 4R70W with a separate harness / ECM.

Unless the aftermarket can finally reflash the factory ECM I'll most likely be going a F.A.S.T. stand alone system because at this point I've yet to read one good review on tuning the Ford Racing stand alone harness.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:05 PM
New User

wwagner479 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Coyote Engine Install

I talked directly to the SCT tech line a few weeks ago and was told there was no problem defeating the security system but I would have to talk to a dealer to get more information and that they would have install a new tune on the engine too. I then went by a shop in Memphis TN called DynoSpeed and talked to Josh Elam who knew exactly what to do. He said they had even installed these engines in older Mustangs too. I had read an article in Motor Trend a few months ago from late 2013 and they said SCT should have a fix for the security issues by the time the magazine was printed. I figured by now it should be available and that's what everyone I've talked to at SCT and DynoSpeed has confirmed.

We don't have a fixed price because Dynospeed hasn't seen the actual truck yet, only pictures, but they will be removing the existing 351W and automatic, installing a new CPP independent front suspension kit, installing the F-150 Coyote engine with automatic, reconnecting the existing gauges in my 48 F1 truck, re-plumbing the fuel tank with a return system, installing a Coyote Boss intake and take off headers from a Mustang so that when it leaves their shop it will be running. The estimate is around $5,000 but that is a rough estimate and I am well aware it will most likely end up costing more. I'm sure I'll also have to buy a few more parts somewhere along the way too. Since I wanted power steering for the truck, I have already purchased a kit including the power steering pump and mounting bracket from Sean Hyland Motorsports in Canada for a little over $600. Stock Mustang headers are often taken off and disposed of so those can be found very cheap or free sometimes.

At first I was looking for a Street Rod Shop to do all the work so I talked to few shops and most had never done a Coyote engine swap before but would be willing to try. The more I think about it now, any good Mustang tuner shop that works on these cars all the time is probably the best way to go.

I don't have any idea about the wiring but Josh said most gauges can easily be adapted to work with the Coyote engine. Overall I was pretty impressed with the folks at Dynospeed especially after several lengthy face to face conversations and shop visits. Time will tell but for now I'm confident enough that I'm planning on taking my truck to them as soon as he can work it in.