1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Restoring Grandpa's '57 F100 - First Truck and First Post

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:43 PM
real550A
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taylor, congrats on getting your truck home!
Better plan on going through the entire brake system, put a new kit in the master cyl., and kits in all 4 wheel cyls., if you don't replace them with new.
Also, I'm sure the clutch master cyl. will need a kit too. They all do, after a truck has been sitting for many years.
Those are pretty basic and necessary projects to get back on the road, and you can work on getting the engine going while you wait for parts. I found kits for everything at Rockauto.com, and very reasonable. The local Napa didn't stock some of them, or I would have just gotten them there. I like to buy local when I can. Mine is an F350, I think you'll find F100 parts everywhere. Best of luck! Mike

Old 03-10-2014, 05:18 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Happy Birthday and getting it home is a Great Gift!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:47 AM
D57
Freshman User
I think you're on the right track here. Get it on the road safely then work on different systems a little at a time. A lot of projects that get taken down to the frame never get put back together!

Definaty inspect the front cab mounts as they almost always rust out. Maybe you can stop the damage before they need replacement.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:07 PM
'57 Ford F100 Nut
Junior User
Originally Posted by D57
I think you're on the right track here. Get it on the road safely then work on different systems a little at a time. A lot of projects that get taken down to the frame never get put back together!

Definaty inspect the front cab mounts as they almost always rust out. Maybe you can stop the damage before they need replacement.
Thanks for the confirmation of my plan and also the info about the cab mounts! I will definitively check them out!

Originally Posted by Walston
Happy Birthday and getting it home is a Great Gift!
Thanks for the Birthday wish! And yep, it was an awesome gift!

Originally Posted by real550A
Taylor, congrats on getting your truck home!
Better plan on going through the entire brake system, put a new kit in the master cyl., and kits in all 4 wheel cyls., if you don't replace them with new.
Also, I'm sure the clutch master cyl. will need a kit too. They all do, after a truck has been sitting for many years.
Those are pretty basic and necessary projects to get back on the road, and you can work on getting the engine going while you wait for parts. I found kits for everything at Rockauto.com, and very reasonable. The local Napa didn't stock some of them, or I would have just gotten them there. I like to buy local when I can. Mine is an F350, I think you'll find F100 parts everywhere. Best of luck! Mike
Thanks for the congrats, advice, and website link! Yep, planning to go through all that stuff that you mentioned.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:26 PM
'57 Ford F100 Nut
Junior User
Hey Guys!

Spent my birthday cleaning up my truck which was alot of fun! Actually turned out better than I thought it would! Took out the floor mat and seat so the seat can be recovered and the floor mat replaced. I have alot of work ahead of me, but for sure have a very good start!

Here are a few pics of how it looks now:

Be sure to check back for updates! Thanks, Taylor

Old 03-11-2014, 05:36 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Looks good. The floor is impressive, still painted! If you have not done it yet, I would put some ATF or Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder. Maybe 1/4 cup in each and let it soak for a week or two and then see if the motor is still stuck by trying to turn by hand.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:04 AM
'57 Ford F100 Nut
Junior User
Looks good. The floor is impressive, still painted! If you have not done it yet, I would put some ATF or Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder. Maybe 1/4 cup in each and let it soak for a week or two and then see if the motor is still stuck by trying to turn by hand.
Thanks for the compliments! Yah, I was surprised how nice the floors are. You must have read my mind on the marvel oil! LOL! I actually put some in last week when it was at Grandpa's. Going to try and turn it by hand soon and put some more in if it is still stuck. Hoping I can free it up...Just would hate to have to spend the money for an engine rebuild plus I would not be able to have it on the road like I wanted to by the end of the summer/start of fall. The internals of the engine should be in good shape as it only has like 20K on it...

By the way, are you involved with tractors? I see you have a link to a tractor website...My family and I are really into them. My Grandpa (The one who gave me the truck, has about 15 Farm Tractors and my other grandpa has several garden tractors). Myself and my dad have some as well and I sell garden tractor parts as a business.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:17 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by '57 Ford F100 Nut
By the way, are you involved with tractors? I see you have a link to a tractor website...My family and I are really into them. My Grandpa (The one who gave me the truck, has about 15 Farm Tractors and my other grandpa has several garden tractors). Myself and my dad have some as well and I sell garden tractor parts as a business.

Well lookie there, an excuse to post a pic of my pre war 9N. It ain't no barn dweller, I use it. Got 13 acres to mow and a mile of private road to grade and keep snow off of. The latter I do for all of the neighbors as well as myself. They routinely pay me with pie, cake and cookies.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:24 PM
'57 Ford F100 Nut
Junior User
Originally Posted by vntgtrk

Well lookie there, an excuse to post a pic of my pre war 9N. It ain't no barn dweller, I use it. Got 13 acres to mow and a mile of private road to grade and keep snow off of. The latter I do for all of the neighbors as well as myself. They routinely pay me with pie, cake and cookies.
WOW! That is a nice looker! Thanks for sharing! Always liked those old Fords! Like I said, my grandpa has many farm tractors (most of which have not run in 10 or 20+ years. Going to pull them out one by one this year from the barn to the shed and have him help us get them all going (He really can't do much any more, but is a wealth of knowledge!).

Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by '57 Ford F100 Nut
Thanks for the compliments! Yah, I was surprised how nice the floors are. You must have read my mind on the marvel oil! LOL! I actually put some in last week when it was at Grandpa's. Going to try and turn it by hand soon and put some more in if it is still stuck. Hoping I can free it up...Just would hate to have to spend the money for an engine rebuild plus I would not be able to have it on the road like I wanted to by the end of the summer/start of fall. The internals of the engine should be in good shape as it only has like 20K on it...

Yes that is my website, showing the restoration of my Father's 1946 Ford 2N. I sure don't have 15, but I am into tractors, mostly old ones. I have a 1953 Jubilee ready to be restored, it has oil in it's cylinders right now.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:28 PM
'57 Ford F100 Nut
Junior User
Yes that is my website, showing the restoration of my Father's 1946 Ford 2N. I sure don't have 15, but I am into tractors, mostly old ones. I have a 1953 Jubilee ready to be restored, it has oil in it's cylinders right now.
Cool! Would love to see pics of your Jubilee when you get it done!

Old 03-18-2014, 11:36 AM
'57 Ford F100 Nut
Junior User
Update on my F100 Progress

Hey Guys,

Thought I would give you all an update on my F100. Have had a couple of up's and down's over the last day or two with it.

First, I took out the old battery and cables (were chewed up) and replaced it with new cables and a used battery we had. Put some hose under the battery to prop it up so the tray would not dig into the battery. Also put a block of wood behind it so it would not move around (It it is being held in place with a bungee cord now.).

Second, got new, improved headlights and plugged them in to see what would happen. To my surprise, they worked and the high beams worked as well! A couple of the dash lights worked as well as the front and rear parking lights on the right side.

Now the bad news...Going to have to replace one of the head light rings as it fell out at some point and is beyond repair. They are only a couple in the country (from what I could find) and it looks like it is going to cost me $75. May not seem like much to some, but I am on somewhat on a budget and am trying to keep cost down.

Been soaking the engine with trans fluid and marvel mystery oil. It is getting down into the block which is good. I know this because the dip stick is way over the full mark (It was not before)...Thought I was getting the engine to turn a bit (Put a breaker bar and socket on the crankshaft bolt, but was in reality only tightening the bolt).

Need to get the engine free before I spend money in other area's as I am not sure how that is going to turn out yet...

My end goal is to have the truck running and driveable by the end of summer/beginning of fall, so I am going to keep going with that goal in mind.

I will be sure to update my thread with new developments.

Thanks,
Taylor

Old 03-18-2014, 07:39 PM
78 & 87 Super Cab
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a sharp looking rig!

Old 03-18-2014, 08:32 PM
'57 Ford F100 Nut
Junior User
Originally Posted by 78 & 87 Super Cab
That is a sharp looking rig!
Thanks for the compliment!

Old 03-19-2014, 05:37 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 613 Likes on 550 Posts
That cleaned up nice. Looks like a great driver! From what I could see in the pics, it appears your front rims are newer than the rear ones. The original dog dish hubcaps were held in place with the nubs turned in towards the lug nuts while later trucks used the outward facing nubs like those on the front of you truck.

Quick Reply: Restoring Grandpa's '57 F100 - First Truck and First Post