1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust and Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:16 AM
Se7vinDeadlySins
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust and Intake

Can anyone give me some advice on aftermarket exhaust and air intake for my 2014 F250 6.2L CrewCab.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:50 AM
wbrook_ford
Junior User
Do an internet search for 5star tuning. They have alot of stuff

Old 02-26-2014, 11:58 AM
Se7vinDeadlySins
New User
Originally Posted by wbrook_ford
Do an internet search for 5star tuning. They have alot of stuff
Thanks alot for the info. I'll check em' out.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:06 PM
dscabra
Tuned
MBRP exhausts are top quality and not terribly expensive. I still have a stock intake, but I've heard good things about AFE.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:06 PM
Se7vinDeadlySins
New User
Thanks dscabra, do you know if swapping out the intake will require a PCM flash? I'm not trying to do too much that involves screwing with the warranty. I did that right of the bat with my 09 mustang, its a beast, but that was the plan from the start. Not so much with this truck.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:17 PM
wbrook_ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by Se7vinDeadlySins
Thanks dscabra, do you know if swapping out the intake will require a PCM flash? I'm not trying to do too much that involves screwing with the warranty. I did that right of the bat with my 09 mustang, its a beast, but that was the plan from the start. Not so much with this truck.
I'm not sure how the 6.2 will take to the intake. If I recall correctly, some intakes on 5.4 trucks would cause the MAF sensor to give false readings that a tune was needed to fix. I think this has to do with the change in diameter of intake pipe the MAF sensor sits in, and the relation to airflow change.

Then again, the ECU might be smart enough to figure it out. I'd call or email 5Star tuning. They are the go to when it comes to these gas super dutys.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:33 PM
dscabra
Tuned
Originally Posted by Se7vinDeadlySins
I really don't know. For the 6.0L, I don't believe there are any issues with an aftermarket intake, but I don't know about the newer engines.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:07 AM
bikerman2299
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dscabra
MBRP exhausts are top quality and not terribly expensive. I still have a stock intake, but I've heard good things about AFE.
I have an AFE Stage 2 intake on my '11 F250 Gasser. It is LOUD! If you like listening to the sound of your valves, and every other mechanical wonderment under the hood, then by all means, grab an AFE Stage 2 Intake. The RPM range I say its loud in is from just above 3k rpm's to red line.

The other part I ran into was fitment. It looks all nice and pretty out of the box, but when I started to install it, the support bracket that mounts to the intake plenum did not match up by any stretch of the imagination. As a result I called AFE and they said I had ordered to wrong part number. Long story short, according to AFE I have a one off truck that the radiator was mounted backwards in and it MUST have an aftermarket intake plenum.

I wish you luck in your search. If you you'd like me to send pictures to you, no problem, just PM me.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:23 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerman2299
I have an AFE Stage 2 intake on my '11 F250 Gasser. It is LOUD! If you like listening to the sound of your valves, and every other mechanical wonderment under the hood, then by all means, grab an AFE Stage 2 Intake. The RPM range I say its loud in is from just above 3k rpm's to red line.

The other part I ran into was fitment. It looks all nice and pretty out of the box, but when I started to install it, the support bracket that mounts to the intake plenum did not match up by any stretch of the imagination. As a result I called AFE and they said I had ordered to wrong part number. Long story short, according to AFE I have a one off truck that the radiator was mounted backwards in and it MUST have an aftermarket intake plenum.

I wish you luck in your search. If you you'd like me to send pictures to you, no problem, just PM me.
Load some pictures in here so others may see what you are refering too.

IMO I would not worry about intake and exhaust yet. Check into 5star first and see about tuning. I will hopefully be tuning my V10 this year with a programmer from them.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:24 AM
unyalli
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wbrook_ford
If I recall correctly, some intakes on 5.4 trucks would cause the MAF sensor to give false readings.
You recall correctly, the Volant CAI was the only one would not cause this. I had a Volant sealed box unit on my 05 5.4L and the increase in throttle response was noticeable with no increase in intake drone. Top quality unit. They have kits for all the Diesel SD,s and I can't get them off their *** to do one for the gas trucks. Maybe if enough of us requested it.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:04 AM
Se7vinDeadlySins
New User
WOW, some really good advice and info here guys..Thanks. I will definitely be checking out MBRP exhauts and AFE intakes. From what I gather from you guys is that 5Star is the best place for me to start looking. Bikerman2299, if you could send me some pics that would be great.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 AM
bikerman2299
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
So I spoke too soon. I'm in Afghanistan, and the pictures are at the house in california. I'll post them up when I get home. Sorry.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:42 AM
Se7vinDeadlySins
New User
LOL, No problem. Be safe over there.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:26 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
there is no reason to change the intakes on these trucks today. Ford has hundreds of hours of testing and their intakes are free flowing and trap more dirt than ANY aftermarket unit. Just like on the 5.4 and V10 motors the intakes are more than the motor can pull in, just save your money and keep the stock setup

Old 02-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ well put!

Quick Reply: Exhaust and Intake