6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FICMREPAIR.COM Customer Experience (Long Post)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up FICMREPAIR.COM Customer Experience (Long Post)

As luck would have it, my 2007 F350 6.0 has gone thru a complete bullet-proofing in recent months after it needed first the oil cooler and EGR cooler, then water pump, and finally after it blew the head gaskets, new studs and head gaskets. It was at that point in time that I was increasingly having starting issues with the truck, very rough cold idle, and upon checking FICM Main Power Logic Power, and battery voltages using my scan gauge, I realized it was time to replace the FICM. Now I went to my local shop and he wanted $500 for an Alliant Power FICM with a 1 year warranty. That’s not bad but I didn’t like the warranty. I wanted a better warranty on a part that costs that much money.

I’ve been a member of these forums for about 3 years, maybe a little longer and kept seeing how much people have liked the products from Ed and ficmrepair.com. So I checked their prices on line for a lifetime warranty on a rebuilt FICM, was the same as one with a 1 year warranty, the choice was clear. I needed the part now as I waited a little too long to replace it and the truck would hardly idle when cold, so I called ficmrepair.com. The sales representative Elaine was very knowledgeable about their products, asked me questions about my truck and what mods have been done, such as exhaust, blue spring mod, tunes, etc. I answered her questions and then asked about the PHP tunes and whether they would be usable my SCT tuner that has custom tunes from Matt at Gearhead Automotive Performance. She was able to articulate what the PHP FICM tune does and how it would interact with the custom tunes. I was sold. So I bought the rebuilt FICM with lifetime warranty, and the PHP 80 HP tune.

I needed it now so didn’t have mine ready to send, it was worth the extra 50 bucks and I ordered it on this past Wednesday, 2-19. The package arrived as planned on Saturday 2-22, and I started to work. I disconnected the batteries, drained 2 gallons of coolant, got the degas bottle out, and had the FICM out in about 30 minutes. Putting it back in I struggled a bit with the middle connecter, finally getting it to lock in then locking in the connector closest to the front of the engine. I put the degas bottle back in, hooked up the batteries, poured some coolant back in, and fired it up.

OH what a relief, started right up with a nice smooth idle. I ran it for a bit until it was warmed up and I got the coolant to a acceptable level. I had taken the custom tunes out before I started on this. I wanted to see what the FICM with PHP tune would do before I stacked the other tunes in. All I can say is wow! My initial test drive was about 20 miles probably 8 miles of that a 7% grade. It pulled the grade with ease. On pulling away from a dead stop the turbo lag that was once there is mostly gone; It was like driving my V10 equipped 5 Star tuned Excursion which has very good throttle response.

The next day I had a road trip planned to help a friend move a 63 Lincoln Continental in my enclosed car hauler. Just a short 150 miles one way trip over a single mountain range into the valley and then back to home with an empty trailer. The trailer is 4100 pounds empty and the car is about 5700 pounds, so about 9800 pounds cargo and trailer. The truck towed it like a dream, excellent power going up the grade and descending it into the valley then maintaining 65 mph on the 4 lane to our destination. I watch the exhaust gas temperatures when towing, the EGT stayed below 800-900 degrees most of the time unless I was full throttle down to pass, then would climb to a max of 1300, my signal to let up a bit and keep it below 1200. I am very impressed with the power the PHP tune makes via the FICM. The truck performed extremely well with the setup. I can’t wait to try it with Matt’s tunes again!

Thanks again to Ed and his staff for sending me the right part at the right time, on time and getting my truck back on the road. Call me a very satisfied customer.

Last edited by cay5628; 02-24-2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: spelling, of course!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^^^ what he said!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:12 PM
chefbuba
Junior User
Just filled out the intake form to send mine in tomorrow.
I looked at all the other guys doing ficm repairs and had to go with someone that is recommended on this and other forums and is also active on this one.
Hopefully I can get my truck back up and running this weekend. Oh, and by the way, those harness connectors were a bitch to get out!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Fal-308-Win
Posting Guru
Ed who?????

Old 02-24-2014, 08:21 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Originally Posted by chefbuba
Just filled out the intake form to send mine in tomorrow.
I looked at all the other guys doing ficm repairs and had to go with someone that is recommended on this and other forums and is also active on this one.
Hopefully I can get my truck back up and running this weekend. Oh, and by the way, those harness connectors were a bitch to get out!
I was fortunate, the harness connectors came right out, I pushed them in a bit then squeezed the connector clips to release them and they came right out. I had more trouble getting the middle one to "click" into place. The other two audibly "clicked" when they seated, but that middle one had me worried. I ended up biting the bullet after wrestling with it a while then finished reassembly. It all worked out.

I agree with you regarding going with someone who is both recommended by peers/customers and active on here. My entire experience with Ed and his staff has been extremely positive. Good luck with your repairs, you can't go wrong with this company.

-Mark

Old 02-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Fal-308-Win
Posting Guru
Oh that Ed!!, it's pretty nice when you can do a repair and then forget all about it!!!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I need to send mine in to Ed for warranty work, but can't be shut down for a week.

That's the side effect of warranty work and internet merchants...

But I completely agree Ed is a stand up guy and plenty good to deal with.

Josh

Old 02-25-2014, 10:29 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
I need to send mine in to Ed for warranty work, but can't be shut down for a week.

That's the side effect of warranty work and internet merchants...

But I completely agree Ed is a stand up guy and plenty good to deal with.

Josh
Hey Josh - You have an issue with one of our units? That soooooo doesn't happen very often. Drop me an email (ed@ficmrepair.com) with what's going on with it. I'll have questions about charging system health and the usual (I know that you know what causes these things to die most early deaths, but we need to figure out what happened to prevent a recurrence). Regardless, we can just ship you out a replacement to pop in so that you aren't down save for the time it takes to swap between modules. Sorry you're having trouble, but we'll get you fixed up!

To the OP - thanks very much for the kudos! I'm so glad that you're thrilled!!

Old 02-25-2014, 10:40 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com
Hey Josh - You have an issue with one of our units? That soooooo doesn't happen very often. Drop me an email (ed@ficmrepair.com) with what's going on with it. I'll have questions about charging system health and the usual (I know that you know what causes these things to die most early deaths, but we need to figure out what happened to prevent a recurrence). Regardless, we can just ship you out a replacement to pop in so that you aren't down save for the time it takes to swap between modules. Sorry you're having trouble, but we'll get you fixed up!

Very cool Ed!!!! I think I've had mine for a couple years,, atlas 40,,, no issues whatsoever. Iirc,, I've got about 200k on mine.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:42 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

You can't hardly beat that service with a stick, Josh. Ed.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:55 AM
cay5628
Elder User

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Service above and beyond. Way to go Ed!

-Mark

Old 02-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Dutter65
Junior User
Originally Posted by cay5628
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Service above and beyond. Way to go Ed!

-Mark
Let me top that! He let me come out to his house at 9:00 pm and fixed me up with alternator, blue spring and plugged my FICM in his truck to verify mine was still good!

Old 02-25-2014, 01:26 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Very happy with my upgraded FICM from Ed also.

Oh, it also did away with my turbo lag also. Only downside, is my rear tires spin too easily now when turning corners in town.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got to get mine in,it's been too damn cold and things in the house keep breaking and the funds keep getting depleted for my toys......I can't wait for spring!

Old 02-25-2014, 07:46 PM
KIDkiser
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
very satisfied with mine,ed is the best. I have told everybody I know

Quick Reply: FICMREPAIR.COM Customer Experience (Long Post)