1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What do you enjoy doing most

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:02 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine is the build . fabricating , rebuilding , cleaning , assembly , rust repair , and paint . All with limited tools and knowledge . Then being able to stand back and say , I did it . The reward is having someone say , I like your truck . I have been apart of building bridges, roads, houses, race cars , golf carts , tractors , and even horse drawn buggies , and the feeling of having built something that will last for a long time after I am gone is one of great satisfaction .

Old 02-23-2014, 08:26 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
dmack, this is a great thread!

Old 02-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Indybeer
Laughing Gas
Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts
I really dreaded all the repair that my cab needed. But in the end, I found that I really enjoyed all the cutting, grinding, fabing and welding involved in getting my cab from what it was to what it now looks like.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:51 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yamagrant
Anything I do to my truck gives me a world of satisfaction. I worked as a mechanic for the better part of my life, mostly working on other people's special interest vehicle's. I've been wrench free for 10yrs now, and it's my turn to enjoy working on my own truck. Better as a hobby than a job.
I'm a "hobbyist mechanic" who generally enjoys working on my own vehicles. For some reason, my friends and family think that I would likewise like working on their vehicles in my spare time. I think not! I can't imagine how your friends and family looked upon you.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:06 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoy engine rebuilding I suppose because of the satisfaction I get when it comes to life .I enjoy electrical work because it allows me to zone out for a while . Metal fabrication and welding satisfy my need for artistic release . But I think the best part is getting one finished so I can start on the next project .

Old 02-23-2014, 09:48 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
My favorite part is driving. I'm putting 400 miles on my 53 sedan this weekend and I will put at least 600 miles on it next weekend.

My second favorite part is getting all exited and planning a new project. I love to think of all the possibilities while keeping the car or truck "stock" (to most observers).

My third favorite part is successfully doing maintenance that improves the way a vehicle drives. I get a thrill on the test run after successfully tuning up an engine and rebuilding the carburetor. The flip side is unsuccessfully trouble shooting a problem. My friend's 53 Mercury carburetor (or maybe engine) is currently driving me nuts. Next weekend I will go after that problem again but this time armed with a vacuum gauge and a timing light. Man that car is frustrating right now.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:51 AM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Thanks for all the reply's guys. I can relate to many of the comments, many bring back memories of challenges I have overcome in the building process.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:01 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Too many of you will relate to this. How 'bout my least favorite might have to be that last turn of the wrench, just to be sure it's good and snug, and there's that mushy feeling and it gets real easy to turn.......Ok, I'll try to stay away from this thread and go back down to the shop.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:15 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
Too many of you will relate to this. How 'bout my least favorite might have to be that last turn of the wrench, just to be sure it's good and snug, and there's that mushy feeling and it gets real easy to turn.......Ok, I'll try to stay away from this thread and go back down to the shop.
Man I can relate to that, when I was younger I had to choke up on a wrench or I would strip every bolt I touched, LOL.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:56 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Gary, Jimmy? They make a torque wrench for that. But yes I seldom ever use one
either. I learned a long time ago to do it by feel. Tight to me is just short of pulling the threads.
If ya know what I mean by that. I love doing head bolts that way.
Look at the head and torque it from center out to each end as evenly as possible.
It is an art of sorts. One can even flatten out a slightly warped head this
way. And no torque wrench. It just don't seem to be tight enough with one.
And the only time a head didn't seal or something came loose was when I did use one.
For the most part that is as there are always exceptions.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:28 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Man I can relate to that, when I was younger I had to choke up on a wrench or I would strip every bolt I touched, LOL.
Jim didn't you just have a thread where you felt the torque wrench felt wrong and your touch proved correct? Practice makes perfect and there is no substitute for experience.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:03 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Gary, Jimmy? They make a torque wrench for that. But yes I seldom ever use one
either. I learned a long time ago to do it by feel. Tight to me is just short of pulling the threads.
If ya know what I mean by that. I love doing head bolts that way.
Look at the head and torque it from center out to each end as evenly as possible.
It is an art of sorts. One can even flatten out a slightly warped head this
way. And no torque wrench. It just don't seem to be tight enough with one.
And the only time a head didn't seal or something came loose was when I did use one.
For the most part that is as there are always exceptions.
In the shop manual for my '37 Buick the procedure for tightening head bolts is to use 7" box wrench and tighten until it stops. I was puzzled why this procedure was recommended, no where in the manual does it list a torque spec for anything unlike the shop manual for our trucks where every single bolt has a recommended torque pressure. I asked around and found out there weren't any standardized torque specs until the late '30s.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:17 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Bob. That great info. Didn't know that. Or more likely just forgot it cuz
everyone knows I know everything. Right?

Old 02-24-2014, 02:24 PM
1950F2
Junior User
The whole thing I like about the build.
The find, drag it home, tear apart, find what it needs, get, fix, repair, rebuild. put together.
It took me 1 year to take apart, 1 year to fix/repair, and 1 year to put together. Now it is almost time to see what I missed. LOL

It is also very satisfying that I did it all less the motor rebuild(not the right tools).

I'm working on a 1950 F2 239 flathead, all original. Was a barn find, sat 42 years last plated was 1970. Racoons destroyed inside and left enough droppings in bed to fertilize a small garden!

I'm working on build pics to post.

This site has been VERY helpful.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:17 PM
gdub
Senior User
I've enjoyed every stage of the build so far. I'm at the point now where my chassis is about one good afternoon of work from completion (paint the rear-end, install gas tank, and finish the aerostar spare tire carrier) . I lifted the body off a week ago and it was amazing how much more I could get done to it. Body work is 3/4 done, so the end is really starting to come into sight.

Quick Reply: What do you enjoy doing most