Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injector Upgrade - time to make a decision

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:47 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Injector Upgrade - time to make a decision

I've though about which injectors to put in the Excursion so much that I've reached overload and my brain can't take it anymore. I wanted to see what FTE thoughts were and if I am missing anything.

background : My F-250 has Swamps 175/146 single shot injectors/Van turbo/T. Wildman Tunes, stock HPOP & stock fuel system. It's a great setup for towing and some occasional street fun. I wouldn't change the setup at all - have been very happy with it. Sitting at 350 hp & 700TQ.

The Excursion currently has stock split shot injectors, Stock turbo with the high flow outlet, T. Wildman Tunes, stock fuel & stock HPOP. Newly built HD tranny - not a BTS but Jerry at J&M know's his stuff.

1. Even though I am happy with the setup in the F-250, I want to do something different in the Excursion. Minimum around the 400 hp mark and 425-450 on the top end would be the HP goals.

2. I don't tow much with the excursion except for the occasional flatbed trailer pull to the landfill and a boat twice a year. So, not focused on a tow setup - a daily driver.

I'm 99.9% set on the H2E Turbo. going to order Strictly Diesel's Regulated return. Either a Stealth HPOP or Bob's Adrenaline.

Injectors - I'm not towing much so I don't necessarily have to worry about EGT's in the same way when towing. For a while I was pretty much set on the 238/80 hybrids with Tony's tunes keeping it around the 450 level. But recently I have been leaning more towards the 160/100's or 160/80's for better fuel atomization and combustion efficiency compared to the Hybrids.

any thoughts or recommendations?

I'm gonna pull the trigger on ordering stuff shortley - start the install after the snow ments & I don't need to rely on the 4x4 vehicle as much.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:01 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cant help you as far as the injectors go but I do have the Strictly Diesel regulated return and am very happy with it. Clean install and detailed instructions. Are you going to delete your filter?

Old 02-21-2014, 09:16 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Gonna keep it on there for now. Thought about removing it but after this winter I'de rather have the stock bowl on top of the engine than a post pump filter down below.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 AM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
If you go with the H2e I would get Bob's WW2. It made a big difference on my set up.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
As you know... I'm right about at your goal, but I had to add ladder bars on my stock-height truck to prevent axle-wrap when Pedal and Matt do their dance... and that's with rolling the accelerator. I had to beef up my intake significantly just to take the 38R, let alone an H2E. You will also likely want some live tuning to keep the street manners on your land yacht. The stock fuel pump will just keep up with your sticks at WOT, if you have a proper fuel delivery system and the in-tank mods. I went with the plain 'ol T500 and it doesn't strain in the least at WOT. Factor all of that into your budget when you go Stage IIs.

That being said... for just sending the pokeys to the rearview on a two-lane up a grade - you won't be able to chisel the corners of your mouth away from your ears. That grin is bone-deep.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:45 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by CGMKCM
If you go with the H2e I would get Bob's WW2. It made a big difference on my set up.
Yeah, the modded H2E seems to flow quite a bit more. Rocky (Rockin S) is gonna send it out to get ceramic coated as well.

Originally Posted by Tugly
...................... You will also likely want some live tuning to keep the street manners on your land yacht. The stock fuel pump will just keep up with your sticks at WOT, if you have a proper fuel delivery system and the in-tank mods. I went with the plain 'ol T500 and it doesn't strain in the least at WOT. Factor all of that into your budget when you go Stage IIs...................
This is why I'm struggling on the decision (this week ).....

- If I choose the 160/100's I'm approaching or at the the nozzle size that tends to need live tuning.

- If I choose the 238/80 hybrids I'm dealing with the fuel atomization and lower combustion efficiency from the lower injected fuel pressure - which I'm wondering what this will do to cold starts in South Dakota?

Old 02-21-2014, 11:51 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I have the Hydra chip & software. So Tony can e-mail me the tunes which will help speed up the "tweeking" process.......

I'm not educated enough on the hybrids to be 100% sure. But I'm thinking with the 5:1 ratio and cold weather operation I could be shootin myself in the foot.....

Old 02-21-2014, 04:39 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend

Old 02-21-2014, 05:11 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
You know more than me, but if you go with the 160/100's you can reach your goal pretty solidly with that H2E and proper tuning, and the great thing is you can have Tony tune it and de-tune it so you can do some towing. The great things is, these guys who know what they are doing, like Tony, can dial them way back and you can pretty much do anything you want/need to do.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:34 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Nah, Jason.....with all that you have done to your truck the past year I think you passed me up a while ago...... Anyhow, picking injectors this time around is a bit more difficult. There are allot more choices!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:04 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Yeah, the modded H2E seems to flow quite a bit more. Rocky (Rockin S) is gonna send it out to get ceramic coated as well.

This is why I'm struggling on the decision (this week ).....

- If I choose the 160/100's I'm approaching or at the the nozzle size that tends to need live tuning.

- If I choose the 238/80 hybrids I'm dealing with the fuel atomization and lower combustion efficiency from the lower injected fuel pressure - which I'm wondering what this will do to cold starts in South Dakota?
Rich with the goals you have for the EX I agree you have alot of choices to chose from as far as injectors. What does Tony suggest since he doing the tuning? Now I was just reading on another forum where a guy was running 200/100% with good street manners and if I recall correctly 468 or 488hp. Personally I think once you get into the over stock nozzle 100% that support modds and tuning is the key to getting them dialed back or dialed in for your needs. So I would think 160/100%, 200/100% or the 238/80% are all going to be left to the tuning. Any of these with proper tuning will get the job done.

But I think you touched on a very important issue that most guys don't have to deal with and that is the -20* to -30* below zero temps you see in SD. So I am glad to see that is playing a factor in your choice. Just because it might work for a guy in TX, FL, CA doesn't mean it will work for you. So it will be interesting to see if any cold weather guys running large injectors weigh in on this.

By the way nice move on the H2E !!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:20 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
I don't know jack. But based on what I've read, given your goals and mods, I'd look at Mike Farmer's Sureflows. You'll find some threads on other forums. He builds 200/100s like BDK mentioned.

And thanks for the crickets, I lolled.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:03 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
I don't know jack. But based on what I've read, given your goals and mods, I'd look at Mike Farmer's Sureflows. You'll find some threads on other forums. He builds 200/100s like BDK mentioned.

And thanks for the crickets, I lolled.
Now that you bring that up David them 200/100% were Mike Farmer's Sureflows and it seems like guys are having good luck with them. The Sureflows are alittle different than other hybrids from what I have been reading but I am not sure how or why.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to do 160/100s with an S366 for that power level. There's nothing crazy or new about that setup. Live tuning won't be necessary. You may need a tweak or two in order to make it just how you like it, but the first set of tunes should be pretty solid, if not spot on.. That setup should put you right at 450-460hp. Another turbo that you could try out would be the S364.5 FMW. The specs look promising to me, but I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet. Obviously the GTP38R is also an option.

238/80's with an S465 or an externally wastegated S366 would be a nice setup also. That setup will be capable of anywhere from 480-520hp though. I know there are guys farther north running big hybrids.. Dave comes to mind. He's running 400/400's in Alaska... I'm in Texas, so what do I know, but I'm going to tell you that hybrids shouldn't have an issue with your temps.

I tend not to suggest the H2E kit simply b/c of the T4i flange and because I don't like that the Hypermax kit still uses donut gaskets.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:15 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Thanks for all the input

Ed, Tony has known me & my driving habits for about 10 years so he suggested the 160/80's or the 175/80's for the 400HP level I am after. But he also said he could "tame the beast" if I wanted larger injectors so I would have room to grow down the road. I've changed my PCM to a PMT1 PCM so I should have allot of options and get around some of the Excursion quirks.

David - thanks for the link, something to check into for sure.

Travis - thanks for the additional options - you just added to my homework pile!.

According to Cary & Rocky they can get the moded H2E Turbo with bellowed up pipes and the new CAC tubes. But I'll verify that to make sure......

I've looked at this chart by Matt (Gearhead) & Bill (PHP) alot this week......a good reference for estimated HP levels when choosing injectors....

Power Hungry Performance - injector selection

Quick Reply: Injector Upgrade - time to make a decision