1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Thinking of doing e-fuel on my 97

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:36 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinking of doing e-fuel on my 97

I am thinking I want to do a DIY e-fuel set-up on my 97 this spring. There seems to be a lot of threads on here on the subject, but I'm having a hard time sifting through it all.

I have decided that I'm probably going to stay with 1/4" lines. I still need to decide on the type.

Also, I am trying to do this as cheap as possible, so I will be using JIS fittings rather than AN fittings.

I am having some difficulty decided on a fuel pump, FPR, and filters. I read a recent thread where someone suggested a Walbro GSL392, but its not rated for diesel. I'm not sure I want to use a SD pump either.

Can you guys give me some advice?

Was it Bill that had a good/cheap set-up?

Old 02-19-2014, 03:23 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Iirc bill had like 350 in his efuel

Old 02-19-2014, 05:50 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
I am thinking I want to do a DIY e-fuel set-up on my 97 this spring. There seems to be a lot of threads on here on the subject, but I'm having a hard time sifting through it all.

I have decided that I'm probably going to stay with 1/4" lines. I still need to decide on the type.

Also, I am trying to do this as cheap as possible, so I will be using JIS fittings rather than AN fittings.

I am having some difficulty decided on a fuel pump, FPR, and filters. I read a recent thread where someone suggested a Walbro GSL392, but its not rated for diesel. I'm not sure I want to use a SD pump either.

I've run both the SD pump and the Walbro GSL392. Both worked fine. Obviously with the Walbro not being rated for diesel, you can't really blame it if it fails, but mine has been solid so far. The SD pump worked great for me, but it wouldn't keep up with my stage 2's.

Personally, if you want the best of both worlds either go with twin SD pumps or IIRC the Bosch pump I looked into at one time was the Bosch 044. I think Jim recommended that one awhile back. I just tried to Walbro to see how it ran and if it would last.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:25 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Thanks guys! I like the looks of the Bosch 044. There is a large price range on Ebay, like from $50-$200. I saw a post on a Honda forum about possible chinese copies. There are also a nice looking mounts available for around $20. I found this nice flow chart:

I was reading the TJBEGGS E fuel thread. I might look into the pump he got from NAPA.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:29 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by cowmilker08

I have about $350-$400 in mine. That is using a cheap pump and FPR. I got some fittings from work, and made my own pump and filter bracket.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:00 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Full force sure sells the gsl392 for the application.i got mine on fleabay for 90$...i hope it lasts.i might buy a spare for trips just in case?!?

Old 02-19-2014, 11:38 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordman67
Full force sure sells the gsl392 for the application.i got mine on fleabay for 90$...i hope it lasts.i might buy a spare for trips just in case?!?
I probably need to upgrade my pump. I am running a Precise pump from Rockauto. I have my mount set up for dual pumps but just running a single right now. I would like to upgrade to a better pump or run duals.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:50 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fordman67
I would either toss a stock SD pump or another walbro pump in the tool box for long trips just in case. I put my stock SD pump in my tool box.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:24 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to start stocking up on parts for this years rre trip. Good luck with the e fuel.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:30 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I basically copied TJ's thread. I'm running the bosch pump from Clay. I've got double the cost that Bill has in his into mine, and it was a pain in the a$$ for me to find all the fittings I need, living in the middle of nowhere. It does work well though. I've got a cheapo 30 dollar pump in the toolbox for a spare.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:45 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
OK, I think I got the pump and filters nailed down. I've decided to use the NAPA stuff like TJ did since its all in-stock at our local store and will be easy and quick to replace them.

Also, is it ok to run the pump off of the fuel heater wiring?

I'm still at a loss for what to do about an FPR. Is there a good place other than the engine valley to mount the FPR? What options are there for FPRs?

Old 02-21-2014, 12:52 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
I would look at either Fuelab or Aeromotive FPRs if it were me. I don't remember the part number for mine off hand, but its an Aeromotive.

As far as the pump wiring goes, are you against just buying the Strictly Diesel wiring? It's a pretty nice little setup.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:54 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't think the fuel heater wiring will be heavy enough gauge.

On a side note, I've been wondering how the pump wiring works with key on vs. engine running. With most (if not all) EFI systems, the ECU will pulse the pump for a few seconds when the key is turned to on, but turns it off if the engine isn't started. I'm assuming the SD ECUs work this way too, but is there any way to do that with an OBS?

Old 02-21-2014, 12:55 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
I'll look into the Strictly Diesel wiring kit. Did you use their kit?

Old 02-21-2014, 12:58 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dclack
I don't think the fuel heater wiring will be heavy enough gauge.

On a side note, I've been wondering how the pump wiring works with key on vs. engine running. With most (if not all) EFI systems, the ECU will pulse the pump for a few seconds when the key is turned to on, but turns it off if the engine isn't started. I'm assuming the SD ECUs work this way too, but is there any way to do that with an OBS?
From, what I've read people use an oil pressure cut off switch. There was some talk about using a solid state relay to turn the pump on for a few seconds before engine start, but apparently you don't really need to do that as the oil pressure comes up very quickly.

Quick Reply: Thinking of doing e-fuel on my 97