Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Tow Mirrors (upgrade for 2002 Exc)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 03:33 PM
mblaksley
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Tow Mirrors (upgrade for 2002 Exc)

Greetings,

I'm looking to upgrade my paddle style mirrors to the newer two mirror extendable type. I've been at this for a long time and this list has been very helpful so if I'm plowing old ground please bear with me. My problem has been I want the new mirrors to support power adjustment, heated mirrors and turn signals like my current paddle style mirrors. I wanted to go with Ford original mirrors from the dealer but they no offer a bundled package (both Driver's and Passenger mirrors) for about $450.00. You can still get them individually but you pay about $400.00 a piece which is out of the question. So, now I'm looking at aftermarket and I recall some of the forum threads seemed to like the replacement mirrors from 1aauto. Are they quality mirrors that don't shake when you go down the road? I plan on towing my trailer a lot so the mirrors must stay stable. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I also believe that there use to be a rep from 1aauto that use to chime in on some questions. If you have any contact info that would be great, please send along.

Finally, in reviewing 1aauto web site today, I found they are now offering an upgrade for the 2002 Excursion (F series) for that matter that has power adj, heat and turn signals with the newer ford F series look (much more square that the 2001 too 2007 style. Here's a photo:

Thanks you in advance for any advise on these mirrors.

2002 Ford Excursion Power Heated Light Smoked Style Signal & Clearance Light Textured Cap Upgrade Towing Mirror Pair

In Stock (Ships same day for orders placed by 3 PM ET)
(3)
Part Number: 1AMRP01095
List Price:$524.80 (You Save $164.85)
1A Auto Price: $359.95
Free Ground Shipping

<small>video available</small>

Old 02-18-2014, 03:39 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the 2010's OEM but they are a ridiculous price. Many on here are using the ones you have posted and love them, I'm sure they will start chiming in soon. You can't go wrong at that price though. Just my .02

Old 02-18-2014, 03:53 PM
mblaksley
Junior User
Thanks Michael, love your truck. Great picture. Appreciate the info and will see what others. I would love to have the OEM newer style but the costs and adaptation are beyond me. Thanks for the quick response.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:01 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
If you have power/heated mirrors now, then you have the wiring for the heat and power mirror motors...you just need to add in the running light and turn signal leads. For your new mirrors, they should make an adapter that changes the round plugs to the rectangular ones...

(this is the adapter for the "old style" power+heat mirrors, but it should be similar wiring for both mirrors)

Mine had the tow mirrors, but only power/heat - no running lights or signals.

All I had to do was to splice in to the extra wires on the mirror harness and run leads to the turn signal and running lights (I used one of those 'line taps'). All you need to do is to find the pins that are not part of your harness and then hit them with 12v to figure out which one is the signal lead and which one is the marker light (running light) lead.

Replacement for the old style tow mirrors was dirt simple...disconnect, unbolt, bolt the new ones on, tap the wiring, connect and run the leads.

For the new style, I can't imagine it would be much different.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:09 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do it, Great upgrade, Good quality.

Wire colours for the mirrors https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13748423

The thread is great read through it.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:18 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 818 Likes on 566 Posts
I have the '08+ style tow mirrors on my '05 EX from 1AAuto. My ex is a pretty basic XLT model that had factory paddle mirrors with heat and power adjust only. The new mirrors came with an electrical adapter that mated them to my factory plug and everything worked perfectly. (power adjust, heat, turn signal, marker lights). My new mirrors are rock steady at speed with no shake or vibration. An excellent upgrade!
The guy to talk to is "1ATony", he is the main man at 1aauto.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a write up I did, it shows step by step and other info. Others have contributed to the thread as well.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tallation.html

Old 02-18-2014, 05:00 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the 1A auto mirrors on my F350, i loved them for the 50 miles that ive driven with them on

Old 02-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Keving150
New User
I have a pair of these that were given to me for christmas:
Robot Check Robot Check

They were an exact fit and even came with the round plug adapter. There is no vibration even on the bumpiest roads. The only negative I can say about these is that they didn't have the turn signal in the glass like my old mirrors had.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:56 PM
mblaksley
Junior User
Great info from everyone! Really appreciate you all taking the time to reply. I'm going to go with the 1 aauto 08 style for my 02 exec. Should be plug and play I hope. Does anyone know how to contact Tony the rep at 1a auto?

Again, many thanks. I've been wanting to do this for a long time. Hopefully now I can get rid of my add on trailer towing mirrors.

Best, Michael

Old 02-18-2014, 06:02 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,079 Likes on 555 Posts
Another vote for the 1Aauto mirrors, excellent quality and no shakes. The wiring for the lights can be a bit of a pain, depending on what's in your door already, but the power and heat is simple with the adapter harness that was included. Being an 02, you might already have the signals and parking light wires in the doors.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:05 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Being an 02, you might already have the signals and parking light wires in the doors.
...we were just discussing that. My 2000 only had wiring for power/heat (no signals). The OP's truck has signals in the paddle mirrors, but those don't have a running light function.

So...the question: Anyone out there swapped paddle style mirrors with signals? If so, did you have to add the wire for the running light portion, or was that already in the harness?

Old 02-18-2014, 06:57 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
...we were just discussing that. My 2000 only had wiring for power/heat (no signals). The OP's truck has signals in the paddle mirrors, but those don't have a running light function.

So...the question: Anyone out there swapped paddle style mirrors with signals? If so, did you have to add the wire for the running light portion, or was that already in the harness?
I had signals but no running lights. I pulled the running light power from the headlight switch.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:51 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jspence105
I had signals but no running lights. I pulled the running light power from the headlight switch.
Yup, signals were there, running lights IIRC were not in the harness till 2003 MY

Old 02-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2ozhzTOWsTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yea, they're pricey....but they are ohhh sooo nice! (I have $750 invested in mine) But for the money, the 1aautos are nice.

Originally Posted by LivingLarge
I have the 2010's OEM but they are a ridiculous price.

Quick Reply: Trailer Tow Mirrors (upgrade for 2002 Exc)