1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Starting my Coe build starting right is half the battle

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 07:47 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pweng1
I just use a craftsman shop vac With a exhaust hose outside thru a dryer vent
If you're using regular sand, be super careful about that dust. Silicosis and COPD and permanent respiratory issues are no bueno!
I fear the damage I might have done, unawares, with my home made media blaster back in my younger, much less careful days...

Old 05-24-2014, 11:02 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the tip. It is a cabinet blaster i use mostly that exhausts outside but i do have 2 pressure tank ones I better wear my big respirator with all of them.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:57 AM
vintage56
Elder User
An even better option is using blasting beads. Further reduces hazard.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:57 AM
vintage56
Elder User
Respirator too though

Old 06-01-2014, 02:17 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
This project will take many years

Ok Well between Mom in hospital and summer yard issues im just not making much progress. I was stripping parts off an old cab but it seems impossible even after 3 cans of WD 40 and the other stuff. I went to the local car show and talked to some guys with ford pickups for a little encouragement. Some told me they had theirs in the garage 12 years. I still cant seem to find a Coe owner close by. Even the donor truck has given me problems trying to change parts. Im wishing i had a gear head buddy like in the old days to help me out.

Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2014, 09:35 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
I envy the guys with their big shops and helpers. Under the truck today i had thousands of little helpers, Yep ANTS. Crawling all over me until i had to stop. As soon as i can get these trucks mobile the better. Still looking for a good friend that like to do this.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:23 PM
vintage56
Elder User
KNOW THE FEELING
it's a unique thing for boys our age to still be playing with trucks it seems...
hang in there, keep your vision
if I were close, I'd be helping bust YOUR knuckles!
kidding. tried putting a torch on 'em yet? hot wrench might work wonders...
JML

Old 06-05-2014, 06:16 PM
HDWrecker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to do a double take! I know those trucks well. The white colored COE that has the FORD logo on the door sat inside an old mill near Frederick, MD. I believe it had a Buick nailhead engine in it. The mangled cab laying in the back of that pick-up, I think, is what's left of a '52 COE that said Vienna Trash Service on the door (I have a photo of it from years ago). I haven't been over to the mill in a couple years, I guess he is starting to get rid of stuff now.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:09 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
has sold most his stuff

Yes He sold most of his trucks. I bought 3 from him. he was hoping to sell the land but the mill is not rebuildable. The cab in the back of the pickup is in real bad shape.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:32 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
The world working against me

Well I must say between my job , homelife and feeling my aches and pains. Im not gettingh much done. I am now at a point where reality has hit me. should i start these projects with all thats going on knowing i dont have the time and energy to finish.Should i just tinker with them for many years until i make progress in hopes of better days. Out of room for storage and working outside I know wintertime will be just be a nonproductive time for the trucks.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:08 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hang in there and remember that it can be all about the journey, not the destination. Mine took 12 years and many time I had to just enjoy the bit of the project I was working on and other times when there was no progress I just had to enjoy the dream.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:12 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
I know the feeling. I have just about hit a wall with time, finances and skill. As a matter of fact, just this morning as I was crawling out of bed I got to thinking it may be 10 more years before I get done.....I vote for hanging in there. I'm confident it will be worth the wait.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:10 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Life happens, I've been way too busy to even look at my COE for a while now. If it's something that makes you happy then keep at it....you will get it done.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:50 PM
Tropic
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We live side by each, I live in Barrhead, are you going to the auction in Stoney on the 16th, maybe we could meet there? I will try to buy an old ford cab for my top chop on my 52 COE.

Allan

Old 07-28-2014, 03:16 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Part of the dissassembly solution is using the right products! WD40 is a water repellant, NOT a penetrating oil or lubricant. (WD stands for Water Displacing) Throw it away or use it for what is was designed for, keeping things dry, and use a good penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench or Pblaster for freeing corroded fasteners. Soak the fasteners with the penetrating oil a couple times a day for several days before attempting removal. Always use 6 point sockets and/or box wrenches rather than the more typical 12 point wrenches. There are special sockets available with curved teeth inside for removing very rusted and/or rounded off fasteners, but often times it is easier/makes more sense to simply tighten nuts and bolts until they break if you will be replacing them anyway, than to try to unscrew them.

Quick Reply: Starting my Coe build starting right is half the battle