What do you think of the 6.2 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:31 AM
RRRAVEN
Cross-Country
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
What do you think of the 6.2 Transmission

Hi everyone-
I have about 2500 miles on my 2014 XL350 CC 4x4 with 4.30 gears and I was wondering what others with the 6.2 think of the transmission action/throttle response?

If I'm rolling at a slower speed and I just romp on it the truck just seems to rev up and wind itself up tight but not really go anywhere until it catches the next gear. If I get the thing rolling along pretty good and then mash it the things rips! My 2002 with a 6.8 V10 4.30's kind of did the same thing.

My 6.2 tranny feels great when I'm on the throttle steady but when I'm in heavy traffic, behind grandma, coasting and on and off the gas it seems like the computer gets confused and it doesn't know what gear it wants to be in. RPM's are up and down.

I really like the manual option as you can hold it in the gear you want or shift it as you want up or down with a flick of the finger.

The tranny also seems a but sluggish when it is cold. I think the electronic solenoids like the fluid to be warmer before they work smooth.

Just wondering what others think of their 6.2 tranny action.

Later-
RRRAVEN

Old 02-16-2014, 11:52 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Same tranny as the 6.7 btw.
My shifting seemed to get more predictable
@ 5000mi. I'm getting used to it now.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so far I like it..i got the 6.2L with winter being super cold I let it warm up,, but I like it so far over my 5.4 tranny. I agree it is not neck snapping putting along behind grandma, I think the weak link is 3 to 4th..seems theres a tad of a lag before she goes,, but I only have 1600 miles on mine and will see in spring if warmer temps helps..i do like this 6 spd tranny.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:48 PM
kas83
Senior User
I noticed a huge difference in my uncles Raptors shifting after tuning it, even in the economy level. Fords strategies don't seem very conducive to longevity IMO.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:56 PM
claycomotrucks1991
Senior User
Takes some getting use to but it's ok could be a lot better design but Ford hasn't fix the problems very fast!

Old 02-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
Want to hear something funny? My company bought 12 new 6.2L F-250's. A few of them shift really nice, but the rest hunt around for gears, have delayed downshifts, and sometimes pause between shifts. No transmission failures yet though.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:55 PM
onlydjmac
Freshman User
Unless your towing. Tranny is always hunting.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:10 AM
RRRAVEN
Cross-Country
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
On the drive home from work yesterday I started playing around a bit with the auto/manual and gear lock out on the transmission. If you have the tranny in D and then toggle the +/- button the gear indicator lights light up so than you can actually see what gear the tranny is in while you are drivng. That gives you a better feel for what the transmission is actually doing while you are driving. Another thing you can do while in that mode is lock gears out, say to stay out of 5th and 6th while in town or in heavy slower stop and go crap. Just toggle the minus (-) button and the 6 light will go out, do it again and the 5 light will go out. So now you have 5th and 6th locked out and you will only see the 1st thru 4th indicator lights lit. All of this is in the owners manual. I've read that section a few times but only messed with it for the first time yesterday. I guess it just takes getting used to and just getting familiar to a modern automotive transmission control unit and how it was programmed from the factory. Is it optimal? Who knows? At least it can be aftermarket programmed if that's your deal or Ford can flash program it with an update it is available.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
That function has been around for the past 3 years. I do like the fact you can lock out some gears if you prefer but just be prepared for worse fuel economy. although when your driving around town with the stop start by the time you get to 6th your looking to slow down..But it is the trade off to better mpg's as you drive. I like this tranny over the last SD I had with the 5.4.. that was a slow dog,, at least this 6.2 seems to have more getup..Nice to have choices for your driving needs..

Old 02-18-2014, 11:02 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I have a 2012 and it acts just like yours. I prefer the 5 speed in my 06 V10....that is until I plugged in a superchip. The tuning it provided the tranny makes it work much better. Big change in the way it shifts. Still sluggish in the cold though.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 AM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Had the same experience but towing it worked like a dream. Now that it is 5 Star tuned it just is wayy to much fun all the time.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:01 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Originally Posted by JohnnyThunder
Had the same experience but towing it worked like a dream. Now that it is 5 Star tuned it just is wayy to much fun all the time.
I see guys are adding modified computer chips in there 6.2L. It changes the shift points of the truck. Do you find any fuel mileage increases with these chips or is it just faster throttle response and does that diminish your MPG's?

Old 02-19-2014, 02:22 PM
onlydjmac
Freshman User
From what I have heard, the tune comes with a contagious disease called WOT (Wide Open Throttle). This causes a decrease in MPG. But that was just the drift I got reading posts on here.
LOL

Old 02-19-2014, 02:30 PM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
There are mileage gains to a degree but it is way more about how the engine and transmission respond in everyday driving that makes the 5 Star tuning worth while. And the increase in power for towing or the disease refered to above is a nice benefit as well.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:37 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I have noticed no increase with the superchip as far as mpg. The truck just feels much more responsive, like ford should have made it.

Quick Reply: What do you think of the 6.2 Transmission