1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Hubs and lift blocks questions

Old 02-15-2014, 05:37 PM
bigbird189
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hubs and lift blocks questions

I have two questions, but first here is what I have.

I have a 1985 F250 single cab mud racing truck. Currently it is down to the frame. Its getting a 460, and solid front axle swap, cab and bed swap. I have started to build this. I am not new to the forum per say but just finally joined officially. I am keeping this is the stock class. The truck and front solid axle I got free, paid 400 for the 460 with tranny and transfer case(the whole truck actually but in bad condition). Money is kinda tight so homemade stuff is kinda the route I am going. I have some mechanical skills but not much but have a neighbor who does have mechanical skills but was unsure about my question number 1. The front axle is from a 1976 f250 and is dana 44 8 lug. Unsure of spline size.

So here goes my question number 1: The hubs on the 76 axle are the old style ( I will try to get pic) and not like the 80s hub. Can I put a hub from the TTB axle I removed on the solid axle?

I know its better to find a dana 60 but this is all I have access to and can afford.

Question number 2: I making my lift kit from parts from different trucks. I know this not street safe whatsever but Can I use blocks on the front axle? Even If I were to weld them to the axle? Please don't beat me up too bad, just curious, I know that they do not recommend that all but where as it is just a mud truck going in a straight line and only that.

Please keep in mind this is a mud truck and not street driven at all and I am on a budget. Sorry to make this so long. Sorry if this has been answered before and I am just blind to have seen it somewhere.
Thanks

Old 02-15-2014, 06:08 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,654 Likes on 1,337 Posts
1. I am not sure. If you had a dana 44 hd ttb (most regular cab f250's did) then definitely no, the hubs are smaller on those. If you had a dana 50 ttb, standard on extended cab f250's then maybe. I do know the parts from the hub out are the same on a dana 50 ttb and a straight axle dana 60(the late model kind).

You have a early model dana 60. I do know the leaf spring pads will not match up, you will have to do some fabbing to bolt it under the truck. The pumpkin I believe is further toward the center also, so you will need a lift and possibly a little clearancing to to avoid front driveshaft interference.

Why don't you fab up a setup like the shackle reversal kits? Just go to sky manufacturing's website and get a idea there. They make a crossmember for the front to mount the leaf spring, and re-mount the shackles to the rear, and get lift out of it at the same time. I don't see why you could not make modified front leaf spring mountings for the lift you need, and avoid the blocks. Be warned you will still need to buy a dropped pitman arm of some kind, no way around that.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:24 PM
bigbird189
Junior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
1. I am not sure. If you had a dana 44 hd ttb (most regular cab f250's did) then definitely no, the hubs are smaller on those. If you had a dana 50 ttb, standard on extended cab f250's then maybe. I do know the parts from the hub out are the same on a dana 50 ttb and a straight axle dana 60(the late model kind).

You have a early model dana 60. I do know the leaf spring pads will not match up, you will have to do some fabbing to bolt it under the truck. The pumpkin I believe is further toward the center also, so you will need a lift and possibly a little clearancing to to avoid front driveshaft interference.

Why don't you fab up a setup like the shackle reversal kits? Just go to sky manufacturing's website and get a idea there. They make a crossmember for the front to mount the leaf spring, and re-mount the shackles to the rear, and get lift out of it at the same time. I don't see why you could not make modified front leaf spring mountings for the lift you need, and avoid the blocks. Be warned you will still need to buy a dropped pitman arm of some kind, no way around that.
OK, so I looked around and saw what you were talking about the shackle reverse kit. So far I am only able to find sets for the 86 and up. I am wondering if I could use that kit and maybe modify it to fit the 85 frame. I also looked on the Skys website and didn't find anything really but I will keep looking. As for the price I don't have the money for it right now, I guess I could build one like if I can find specs for it. I like building stuff so no problem there. The truck is currently a single cab so I will look for other options for hubs or maybe run as is. Also a another question, what if I were to weld on one side of the hub? would that act like kinda like a locker or something like it?

Old 02-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Franklin2
You are seeing 86-up kits only because those are the only trucks that had straight axles from the factory. They started putting the dana 60 back in the f350's starting in 1985 1/2. In your year early on, the only option was a dana 50 ttb on the f350.

I thought you could get some ideas. It looks like a piece of pipe with brackets hanging down to receive the spring eyes. Since you have some donor trucks sitting around, I don't see why you could not try and make some newer front spring packs with more lift, maybe using some leaves out of the rear springs on one of the other trucks. This would sort of follow along with your front block theory, only you would not be using blocks you would be using full length leaf springs.

The only way I know to make a cheap locker is to weld the spider gears in the front diff, or since it's a dana 60 you can probably find a full spool to fit. You could steer it with the hubs unlocked, and when you get ready to go racing lock the hubs in off road with the spool.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:17 PM
bigbird189
Junior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
You are seeing 86-up kits only because those are the only trucks that had straight axles from the factory. They started putting the dana 60 back in the f350's starting in 1985 1/2. In your year early on, the only option was a dana 50 ttb on the f350.

I thought you could get some ideas. It looks like a piece of pipe with brackets hanging down to receive the spring eyes. Since you have some donor trucks sitting around, I don't see why you could not try and make some newer front spring packs with more lift, maybe using some leaves out of the rear springs on one of the other trucks. This would sort of follow along with your front block theory, only you would not be using blocks you would be using full length leaf springs.

The only way I know to make a cheap locker is to weld the spider gears in the front diff, or since it's a dana 60 you can probably find a full spool to fit. You could steer it with the hubs unlocked, and when you get ready to go racing lock the hubs in off road with the spool.
Hey thanks for the ideas, I am actually using rear springs from another truck for my fronts springs. I saw kit for the 86 and up and thought maybe there was a custom kit for the 85s and down but I would have to make my own because the frame is different in front, I guess but it gives me a bunch of ideas, I am not creative so thank you. I will keep looking for other ideas, but still curious about using front blocks if I would be ok.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:18 AM
Franklin2
Frame is the same if it's a 4x4 frame. They changed the frame in the front a little bit around 87 or so, but it should not matter with the crossmember kit they give you. But you are out on your own anyway with that late 70's axle, it's not going to fit without some work.