Matching factory paint color

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 09:22 PM
JustAJ
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matching factory paint color

Does anyone want to take a guess as to how closely the Dupli-Color Performance Red (BSP203) will match the Ford Vermillion Red of my 99 (E4)? Assuming I paint the whole truck (eventually - one panel at a time) I'd like them to be pretty close, and I'd rather not spend the $$ to get a factory match on 15 year old paint.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:49 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
With the vast differences in so many things affecting a paint color after time exposed to the elements its almost impossible to guess how close a new color would match or mismatch the existing finish.

Maybe just paint something with your selected color, let cure and compare?

Old 02-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
IMHO, Duplicolor is not one of the "better quality" paints...and to be quite honest, you can visit an auto paint supplier purchasing their lowest end product for the same price.

BTW...why no buy the Duplicolor paint that matches your truck?

Old 02-16-2014, 10:09 AM
JustAJ
Freshman User
My first step is to try and re-clear my tonneau cover. The color coat (not factory) seems to be OK, but the clear is toast. I want to do that first, before the paint gets damaged. Next up is the hood, which is toast. The factory paint crackled under the clear a while ago (years). But now it's broken through, so I have to get that taken care of soon or I risk the metal rusting (thank god I live in SoCal, and not somewhere that gets a lot of rain/snow). Tragically, I know I'll have to take it down to bare metal. Once the hood is done, I think I can wait a while on the rest, or just repaint the affected body areas where it's also cracking (mostly the front fenders and edges of the roof) instead of doing the whole truck.

Since I'm too cheap to have a shop do it, I was planning on DIY. But since I'm new to painting (motorcycles don't count, it's easy to do small projects with rattle can and not screw up) I wanted to make it as easy as possible. DupliColor has the "paint finish" system that requires no mixing - everything's already in it. Unfortunately there is a limited range of colors (Dupli-Color :: Paint Shop Finish System). That seemed best IMO because of the simplicity (no mixing/measuring). They don't offer factory color match in that system. Plus, it only matches what the color was when originally applied, it doesn't take into account 15 years of exposure. The paint's probably several shades lighter at this point, based on pictures.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Ok, let me help you with a few things to make it easy......
Try and re-clear my tonneau cover....most of the time (70%+) it doesn't work....surface sand, apply a sealer/primer & re-spray the color & clear

Next up is the hood, which is toast....yes, down to bare metal ....any thing that is bubbling or peeling at any level

DupliColor has the "paint finish" system that requires no mixing - everything's already in it.....any auto paint supplier can do the same thing for you......the only thing you will have to do (unless you spray within a couple of hours) is adding the catylist (paint hardner)...they can pre-proportion for you so you can just dump & stir.....if you plan on spraying within a few of hours of purchase, they can mix that for you as well...so is just fill the gun & shoot.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:23 PM
JustAJ
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Beechkid
Ok, let me help you with a few things to make it easy......
Try and re-clear my tonneau cover....most of the time (70%+) it doesn't work....surface sand, apply a sealer/primer & re-spray the color & clear
Sorry, I misspoke. From everything I've read here and everywhere, I have yet to find a single "success story" so to speak of someone who just recleared. I'm planning on stripping off the clear completely, and sanding as much of the underlying paint as needed to get an undamaged surface. The prime, paint and clear. The results of that project will determine if I do the rest myself or not, although the hood is waaay smaller than the cover and should be easier.