1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SuperChips Model 1842

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Swingshiftworker
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SuperChips Model 1842

There doesn't seem to be much love for SuperChips here but I've had good experiences w/their tuners in the past.

Since a faulty DP tuner piggyback chip created fuel problems and ultimately left me stranded over 100 miles from home w/a 2 ton camper in the bed, which required a flat bed tow all the way back home, AND, since I saw no need for a "custom" tune, I decided to try SuperChips again.

FYI, SuperChips Model 1842 is the most recent version of the tuner applicable to all Ford trucks. I saw a lot of ads for Model 1840, which is now obsolete, which is why it is currently heavily discounted, and Model 1841, which is supposedly a CA compliant version of the tuner BUT, when I called SuperChips to ask them about all of the variations, they told me that, although Model 1841 has gotten CARB approval, it's an earlier version than Model 1842 and they still recommend removing the tune before getting smog tested or going back to the dealer. So, Model 1841 is basically irrelevant.

Anyway, all I was looking for was to restore the power that was lost when I had to pull out the faulty DP tuner and I got that w/the SuperChips turner. What I like about the SuperChips tuner is that's is a simple "plug and play" device AND the ability to install and uninstall it at will. On the other hand, the limited tuning options and the inability to change the tune on the fly are probably at least two of the things that SuperChips less than popular here. The only tuning options you get are "Performance," "Tow" and "87 Octane" (which is irrelevant to diesels). So, my only tuning choices were Performance and Tow. Obviously, I chose Peformance.

I've got an AFE single cone filter and a Magnaflow exhaust in my truck and, with the Performance Tune, the truck is rocking again. I haven't done and dyno or other testing but the car quickly gets up to 80-90 on the speedo (which has been corrected w/SuperChips' tire size adjustment capability). The speedo goes up SO fast that I was wondering whether there still might be a calibration issue but several of those radar operated speed check signs have confirmed that the speed (at least up to 70) is accurate. The only downside is that I have a hard time driving under 80 (in the truck or anything else) and my 1st fill-up was a bit alarming, but that's the fault of my lead foot, not SuperChips.

So, although it is not particularly popular here, SuperChips suits me fine and SuperChips may also appeal to others like me, who just want to "set it and forget it,"which is why I've posted this "review" here.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:15 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
i have a old 1714 super chip for my 5.4 and LOVE IT! I'm buying the new Superchip just to get more user friendly device and upgrades when they come out. I bought one of the "tuned" SCTX3 and there is no difference at all in power and my 5.4 didn't react well to it, i even had a few things tweaked and it still wasn't as good as the ol SuperChip

Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 PM
Swingshiftworker
Junior User
Although it's counter-intuitive, one apparent side benefit of the SuperChips performance tune in my truck has been an increase in fuel mileage from less than 14 mpg to just under 18 mpg (17.91 to be exact) after the 1st fill-up following installation of the tune.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:29 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Four more mpg from a tune?
were you partaking of the grapes when you did that calculation

Apologies, with all due respect I'd love to get 30% more too but not going to happen over the long run - while you may get a tiny bit more IF you drive like a grandpa , not 30%...

And this comes from someone that has tuned EVERYTHING I've had from bicycles to Audi's from pedal power to diesels

There are SO many variables to mpg - driving conditions and driving style changes are the biggest impact

Old 02-21-2014, 12:36 PM
Swingshiftworker
Junior User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Apologies, with all due respect I'd love to get 30% more too but not going to happen over the long run - while you may get a tiny bit more IF you drive like a grandpa , not 30%... mpg - driving conditions and driving style changes are the biggest impact
Yeah, it may be off.

It was only the 1st fill-up after I installed the SuperChips map, but I'm taking the truck on a 700 mile RT to LA from SF this weekend and I'll get a better sense of what the MPG is after that.

We'll see . . . and I do NOT drive like the old man that I am.

I drive more like a teenager and can seldom keep the speedo under 80, which is why I was surprised by the almost 18 mpg that I reported. The trip will determine at least what the "real" hwy mileage is now.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:07 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I run stock tune, superchip, and my SCT and I never get better than 10mpg around town and 14ish on the highway. And that's hotdogging it and then grand popping it.... It is what it is

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 03-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Swingshiftworker
Junior User
Ok, based on a 683 mile round trip to/from LA, I used 46.404 gals of diesel which equals 14.718 mpg.

This was 95% highway driving at speeds of 70-90mph (average around 75) using the Superchips Performance Tune. Could have done better if I kept my lead foot off the pedal and just drove 55-65 instead BUT that's really hard for me to do.