6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Head stud mods for the 06-07 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 04:11 PM
diggintrenches
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head stud mods for the 06-07 6.0

I was just wondering if anyone has had to put the ARP head studs in their 06-07 model 6.0. At my work, we have two PSD techs, and they are both telling me that the 06-07 has and upgraded head stud v/s the previous years, and over all is the better two years of the 6.0 in the five years Ford put them in the SD. I just bought an 06 King Ranch F-250 CC SB 4x4, with 151k on the clock. Super clean truck, and super deal on it as well. The motor has not had the head studs done, and the only aftermarket part found on the truck is a 4in down pipe. Not sure why that was done and nothing else, nor am I clear on what gain that actually has. I let one of the techs drive it and put it through the paces, he gave it a clean bill of health. He also said that is long as I drive it the way it was intended to be when it was built, that I should never have to worry about the head studs. I will be doing the EGR freeze plug block off mod so that I wont ever have an EGR issue to worry about down the road.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:21 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Engines after '06 have a larger locating dowel (20mm vs 18mm) as part of the commonization with the 6.4L, but the head bolts are the exact same.

This is an adaptor, you can see how the size changed:
http://www.enterpriseengine.com/prod...l-powerstroke/

Subject: 2006 6.0L Diesel Power Stroke Cylinder Head Commonization
Effective Date: Ford Production Assembly Plants - January 11, 2006
Kentucky Truck Plant (Super Duty) & Lorraine Assembly Plant (Econoline)
Description
Changes are being made to the 6.0L diesel cylinder head, head gasket, crankcase block, rocker
arm carrier and injector hold down clamps for the 2006 Super Duty and Econoline Program. The
action is taking place to facilitate/communize the International manufacturing process for the
upcoming 6.4L program. The 2006 6.0L used in Ford vehicles after January 11, 2006 are being
referred to as "Commonization Engines".
Part number details are provided on a separate excel spreadsheet.

Figure 1 - New cylinder head
1. Carrier boss bolt holes M10 x 1.5
2. Injector clamp bolt holes (relocated)
The new cylinder heads have several casting changes including a slight injector clamp bolt hole
relocation (2, figure 1) and the carrier boss bolt hole size and location changes (1, figure 1). New
cylinder heads also use 32 mm cup plugs replacing the old 28 mm cup plugs.
The cylinder head gasket is also new to accommodate the new 20mm cylinder head location
dowels. Pre commonization head use 18mm dowels
Note: At this time the new cylinder head assembly is not interchangeable with the previously level
head.

Figure 2 – Previous Level Cylinder Head
1. Carrier boss bolt holes M8 x 1.5
2. Injector clamp bolt holes (original locations)
Note: The previous level cylinder head assembly is not interchangeable with the new head.

Figure 3 - New Block Assembly
The new crankcase (block) uses two 20mm cylinder head locating dowels per head.
The old crankcase (block) uses two 18mm cylinder head locating dowels per head.
Note: The new and old block assembly is not interchangeable. This affects replacement of all 6009
short blocks and the 6010 bare blocks.

Rocker Arm Carrier:
Figure 4 - New Rocker Arm Carrier
Casting changes to the rocker carrier provide increased clearance for new injector hold down
clamps (figure 6). The new carrier also uses only 2 bolts and locating dowels to attach the carrier
to the head.
The new rocker carrier is serviced in a Rocker Arm Carrier Kit which includes the rocker carrier
cover, gasket and necessary dowels.
Note: The new and old rocker arm carrier kits are not interchangeable.

Figure 5 – Previous Level Rocker Arm Carrier Kit
The old rocker arm carrier uses 4 attaching bolts to hold the carrier to the old cylinder head (figure
2).
The previous rocker arm carrier is also serviced in a kit which includes the rocker carrier cover,
gasket and necessary dowels.
Note: The previous level rocker arm kit is not interchangeable with the new kit and will remain
available for service.
Injector Hold Down Clamp:
Figure 6 - New Injector Hold Down Clamp Assembly
The tail end of the new injector hold down clamp is being reduced to avoid interference with the
rocker arm carrier wall. Injector hold down clamp bolt torque will increase from 24 lbf·ft to 25.8 lbf·ft
and bolt head size will increase from T40 to T45.
Note: The new and old injector hold down clamps are not in interchangeable.

Figure 7 – Previous Level Injector Hold Down Clamp Assembly
Note: The new and old injector hold down clamps are not in interchangeable. The old injector hold
down clamp will remain available for service.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:42 PM
diggintrenches
Senior User
That's was awesome info. thanks a ton for that. I'm assuming that they told me what they did just to keep from getting too technical about the whole thing. However....if this was to take place starting January of 2006, I guess that means that mine doesn't have the upgrades due to my truck being built in November of 2005??

Old 02-14-2014, 04:49 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by diggintrenches
That's was awesome info. thanks a ton for that. I'm assuming that they told me what they did just to keep from getting too technical about the whole thing. However....if this was to take place starting January of 2006, I guess that means that mine doesn't have the upgrades due to my truck being built in November of 2005??
They're not strength upgrades. The bolts are not harder/stronger than any other 6.0 headbolts if that's what they're telling you. Your production date just means you don't have the commonized heads that were in preparation for the 6.4's.

I would not pull the EGR valve as it will cause you fan operation issues. If you're going to delete the EGR cooler you'll need a tuner to turn off the CEL and depending on your area you may have smog inspections to worry about.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:09 PM
diggintrenches
Senior User
More great info, thanks. Hmmm, I'll have to question them on what they are referring to. I am not mechanically challenged by any means, I'm just not a diesel mechanic yet. lol. I've built many gas motors over the years, and still build motors for race bikes used in drag racing. The diesel thing is new to me as far as diagnosing problems with these things. I appreciate all the help and knowledge I can accumulate from you pro's on here. Is there any upgrades what so ever on the early 06 models?

Old 02-14-2014, 05:18 PM
diggintrenches
Senior User
Also, a bit off topic. sometimes when I come to a stop at a stop sign or traffic light and idle for a short time, when I start to take off again, it will let out a small amount of white smoke, then clear right up. Does not smoke out of the tail pipe at all while driving down the road, or when I first take off after warm up in the morning, or when I warm it up to come home from work. only after a little drive time. what would be the cause of this?

Old 02-14-2014, 05:32 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Also, a bit off topic. sometimes when I come to a stop at a stop sign or traffic light and idle for a short time, when I start to take off again, it will let out a small amount of white smoke, then clear right up. Does not smoke out of the tail pipe at all while driving down the road, or when I first take off after warm up in the morning, or when I warm it up to come home from work. only after a little drive time. what would be the cause of this?
Mine did that when the head gaskets went south. Any coolant coming out of the degas cap?

Old 02-14-2014, 05:50 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
More great info, thanks. Hmmm, I'll have to question them on what they are referring to. I am not mechanically challenged by any means, I'm just not a diesel mechanic yet. lol. I've built many gas motors over the years, and still build motors for race bikes used in drag racing. The diesel thing is new to me as far as diagnosing problems with these things. I appreciate all the help and knowledge I can accumulate from you pro's on here. Is there any upgrades what so ever on the early 06 models?
Stud it.
Delete the EGR
4" turbo back exhaust
Race tune

Go baby go!

Old 02-14-2014, 06:50 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
They dont seem like psd techs if they cant get that right. Imo find a real tech

Old 02-14-2014, 06:53 PM
diggintrenches
Senior User
Originally Posted by 9228.bobcat
Mine did that when the head gaskets went south. Any coolant coming out of the degas cap?
No coolant issues at all. This is definitely a lingering oil smoke. It don't evaporate like steam would. Also, no leaks of any kind, anywhere. I've never owned a Ford that didn't leak something. Kinda scary. lol

Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Stud it.
Delete the EGR
4" turbo back exhaust
Race tune

Go baby go!
Around here, shops charge around 7g's for the stud job. Really don't want to do that if I can help it. We have some 6.0's at work with over 300k on them and have never had it done, so I know that not all of them have this issue. REALLY hoping that mine doesn't. The techs at work seem to think all of that is fine. How do you delete the EGR without the use of the freeze plugs? The down pipe has been changed to a 4in, it also is the same size as the rest of the exhaust. The rest of the exhaust doesn't look new, so I just figured it was stock.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:54 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
No coolant issues at all. This is definitely oil smoke.

Around here, shops charge around 7g's for the stud job. Really don't want to do that if I can help it. We have some 6.0's at work with over 300k on them and have never had it done, so I know that not all of them have this issue. REALLY hoping that mine doesn't. The techs at work seem to think all of that is fine. How do you delete the EGR without the use of the freeze plugs? The down pipe has been changed to a 4in, it also is the same size as the rest of the exhaust. The rest of the exhaust doesn't look new, so I just figured it was stock.
Take a look at the ipr Gen2 egr delete.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 02-14-2014, 07:04 PM
diggintrenches
Senior User
Originally Posted by cheezit
They dont seem like psd techs if they cant get that right. Imo find a real tech
You might be on to something. you figure that working on them since the 7.3 powerstroke came out working at the Ford dealers and all the schooling they've had, you would think they would know a little something. However, they have studded the ones that have been done at work, and keep the rest running top notch at all times.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:06 PM
diggintrenches
Senior User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Take a look at the ipr Gen2 egr delete.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup
Will do. Thanks.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 PM
diggintrenches
Senior User
Lets just say if I did have a head gasket issue....would my dash be flashing a code of some kind? would my temp and oil pressure gauges tell me something? would the motor run rough? As of right now, the motor runs like a Swiss clock, starts great, and has plenty of power, as well as idles real smooth.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:46 PM
bodywerks
Senior User
Your mechanics are wrong, or misinformed. Only difference is the size of the alignment dowel, and some other changes that also do nothing to reduce the risk of blowing gaskets. My buddy is doing heads on his late '06 build 6.0 as I type. Another kicker, the place he took his heads to told him that roughly 50% of all the heads they've done were cracked and told my buddy he was basically beating the odds if he has two heads that AREN'T cracked.
Basically, if you have a 6.0 and don't want to worry about blowing head gaskets at some point, then sell it and buy a truck with a better engine. Even studded 6.0's can/do still blow head gaskets.

Quick Reply: Head stud mods for the 06-07 6.0