1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Ford OBS ABS Light flashing, Auto Tranny Lock Out, #13 Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:48 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford OBS ABS Light flashing, Auto Tranny Lock Out, #13 Fuse

I just wanted to post this in here since this happened to me and I had a hard time finding info on it. I actually found it on PSN, but not much regarding it. I recently went and bought a 40’ enclosed goose. Long story short I went to pick it up with one of our fleets, not the personal truck, got her all hooked up after a frozen B&W pin. Plugged in the trailer and went back into the truck and set my brake controller, and in the middle of adjusting it, it went out. So I got back out and notice all the trailer lights were off, then I noticed my blinkers on truck or trailer would not work, and finally I saw a flashing abs light and the truck would not go into gear AT ALL. Disconnected the trailer, nada, disconnected and reconnected the batteries, nada. Finally pulled the #13 fuse on the panel on the inside of the truck, it was blown, and was the only one that was blown. I have blinkers again and ABS has stopped flashing, truck now goes into gear. At first I was pretty nervous and confused that a simple ABS fuse would lock the truck out from going into gear, I was also surprised it knocked out my signals and brake lights without popping either of those fuses.

Drove to town and its getting dark, Towing a 40’ black trailer with a black truck was just asking for a ticket or wreck. Pulled in and got a complete set of fuses. Did not up the size for #13. Went back out to the truck and tried plugging it in again with the truck in neutral. This time everything worked. Went to adjust the controller again, and sure as sheet it popped again. Same symptoms, no signal or brake lights on the truck or trailer, running lights worked fine. I could put it into drive and any other gear since I started in neutral, but once back to park, it was locked out again.

I replaced the fuse, turned the controller all the way down, and I made it about a 100 miles before it popped again on the highway at cruise. This time however it did not pop the ABS fuse but my brake and signals were out. It popped the sig/indicator fuse. Quite the odd trip for me, but I wanted to post up because I first thought something was seriously wrong when the truck locked out in park. So if this happens its likely to be the interior panel #13 on the top of the panel oriented horizontally, at first it can be hard to see not getting all the way down to look up there.

Got it home safe and have another friend who is a king at finding shorts and wiring headed over Tomorrow. I can test and rewire pretty well, and have had to take care of about 12 different work trailers over the last 4 years that constantly cause issue being in the high country woods. But this one has me perplexed. I obviously thought it was a short in the ebrakes, but now that it randomly popped my signal fuse as well has me wondering. Truck works absolutely fine on all our other trailers so I'm pretty sure that can be taken off the list/ Obviously a short somewhere, but there are a couple hundred feet of wire in the walls of that goose and I am not ready to start removing panels. Going to start by taking off the hubs and inspecting the electric brakes, and then wiring a new 7 way. I hope I am not replacing all 4 e brakes at 90$ a piece, just put new rubber on it and I always buy a spare set of bearings, spindle, and hub to have in case I’m 600 miles from home and at 2 am I toast a bearing. Has a very nice 7 way completely sealed and weather prooedf on it, but its going to come off, can open it up to inspect. Looks to be a bit of corrosion on the pins, and I'm just going to use a typical Autoparts 7 way.

Anyways I ‘ll quit rambling, just thought I’d post this up so when someone has a similar issue they can search the net and hopefully come across this thread. Apparently when towed with a 2012 dodge he had no problems what soever, so I'm wondering if they switch their brake controller pin on dodges? As far as I knew most tow packages from any manufacturer are typically identical at the vehicle 7 way, sort of an industry standard. Trailers, yeah I don't think I have ever really seen any two alike utilizing the same wire colors for appropriate circuits :-)