6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Tire questions....Opinions wanted...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tire questions....Opinions wanted...

Well it is that time for me to buy a set of tires for the EX. Since I have never owned a vehicle this heavy, I am looking for opinions on 2 tires from BFG/Michelin. I am a die hard BFG guy, I sold them years ago for a living. That being said Michelin gets tossed in there since Michelin owns BFG.

The 2 tires I am looking at are the time proven ALL Terrain and the new player for BFG..The Rugged Terrain.

Now the All Terrains are around a 40,000 mile tire and I know that as long as you have a sound suspension/alignment an rotate religiously, they will last. They however are not the quietest tire for highway driving. Which I do a lot of. But if I go hunting or if we have crappy weather like we have for almost 2 months they are the ones.

The Rugged Terrain supposedly have a 50,000 mile life, higher wear rating, MPG rating, but have a low rating for anything but highway driving. The tread pattern is one that I have never seen before.

Since I am on the fence about the Rugged Terrain's but am also leery of the ALL Terrains.

Pleas share your experiences on these 2 tires guys.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Cooper AT/3 is the way to go.good mileage,all terran,highway friendly and they won't break the bank. I have 2 trucks and both have them

Old 02-13-2014, 09:17 AM
Cowboy65
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've run several sets of BFG All-Terrain T/A's and have always been happy with the mileage, traction, & ride as compared to similar tires.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:03 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have had a few sets of the BFG A/T, really good all round tire but rotation is very important. Great winter tire for snow and ice. But my new favorite is my new Good Year Duratracs. They are a heavy mud and snow tire, 10 ply, weight rating appropriate for ex. Excellent grip in winter roads, highway is noisier than BFG but barely. I will report back in terms of mileage. I am about 10k miles, no signs of wear at this point. Might not suite your ex as well, but have a look at them, if you off-road at all, hunt, fish ect, something to look into.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:09 AM
KIDkiser
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I cant speak personally about the rugged terrain,but a buddy of mine works at a tire shop and said in the last month and a half they have had 2 sets come back for pre- mature wear.My uncle worksfor the forestry dept,and all they run is dura tracs,but he says they chunk real bad on gravel roads,and they are averaging about 25,000 miles out of a set.
I recently went with the bfg A/T and love them.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
I am torn between where to get the BFG A/T's! Do I pay 300.00 more at a place I know will do me right? Or do I go to the local Sam's Club and get them for 300.00 less?

Looking at 840 installed at Sam's Club and 1190 at the local tire store. The local tire store has cut me a ton of breaks in the last year. I just can't see paying the higher price though.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:31 PM
DerbyPowerstroke
Senior User
Call Sam's Club next time you need to get out of a pinch and see what they say. Go back to your local guy and at least give him a chance to meet you in the middle.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:03 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Which one will rotate for free, re balance 12 times, if needed, and replace a tire if it can't be balanced. Ie has a direct line on warrenty returns with BFG. I stick with brand name tire shops, and then when I am traveling, I got a place to go if I have a tire problem. I think you get what you pay for.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mhoefer
Which one will rotate for free, re balance 12 times, if needed, and replace a tire if it can't be balanced. Ie has a direct line on warrenty returns with BFG. I stick with brand name tire shops, and then when I am traveling, I got a place to go if I have a tire problem. I think you get what you pay for.
Sam's Club has free rotation and balancing until you replace the tires. The MFG warranty may be a pain...but they have not done me wrong in 14 years on tires..

I did call the local tire shop and talked with the manager and the best he could do was 1035..

Old 02-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Originally Posted by DerbyPowerstroke
Call Sam's Club next time you need to get out of a pinch and see what they say. Go back to your local guy and at least give him a chance to meet you in the middle.
I agree with this one here. If the local guy has been good to you in the past and helped you out, then it seems he has earned your business. They may also care a little more about you.

As an antidote: I always bought my tires from Costco. Always got crappy service and was treated like they where doing me a favor by getting the tires on same day. Even a simple valve stem repair while on vacation was a several hour operation. Bought tires at the "local" shop, which happens to be Discount tire, because they treated my father right when he'd had enough of Costco's attitude (long story there). I didn't realize what I was missing, but now that I've had excellent service I will pay a little more for it (another long story involving a very upset wife and a Discount tire manager's excellent care).

My experience with the box store is this, one day a tire tech.... next day stocking shelves....next day bagging....next day tire tech.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
Sam's Club has free rotation and balancing until you replace the tires. The MFG warranty may be a pain...but they have not done me wrong in 14 years on tires..

I did call the local tire shop and talked with the manager and the best he could do was 1035..
yeah, and after he's gone, 'cause everyone went to sam's club.....

we live in a nation that shops at costco with forklifts, and as a result,
when you want something other than whatever flavor of kool aid costco
is selling this week, you have to have it shipped from three states away.

the guy who sells me my michelin's, i've been buying from for 25 years.

one time, i went to america's tire, and bought a set of michelins for my
van, 'cause they had this insane wear warranty that they'd give me
a set of tires if mine didn't wear 60k, which i knew they wouldn't on
an econoline.

and they refused to honor the warranty. flat refused.

and i went back to kevin at allen tire, apologized, and bought another
set of michelin's. we both laughed about it.

and every set of tires i buy from kevin, i send a copy of the americas's
tire warranty that they didn't honor, and a copy of the invoice for the
set of tires i just bought from kevin, and a form letter explaining that
the salesman who welshed on their warranty just cost them another
$1,300... and i mention his name, and branch store, so he can get
credit where it's due.

so far, he's cost them about $7k in tire sales.

screw america's tire.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:48 AM
Jacob Duncan
New User
Old post, I know, but I am looking for new tires on my truck. I think I am going to stick with the BFG T/A KO's that are on it now. They've been phenomenal so far. I bought them on the truck 20K ago and they had 45 on them then. Still pretty good wear but they're nearing the end of their life.
Sidenote: Staying with local shops is always the way to go. FCDP in Jax, FL is the only shop I will ever take my rig to. At least when something goes wrong (and it usually will at some point) you've got someone who will own up if a mistake was made and make it right.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 AM
FordFamily6
Junior User
Ive had top notch service from discount tires, probably bought 10-12 sets there including trailer tires over the years. they honor warranty and the freebies (rotation, flat fix, tire stem repair, balance) to the tee. Although free rotation and balance for life is really $65,the cost of one rot and balance.

I bought my Ex with BFG Mud Terrian....noisy and squishy. Put them on my 1/2 ton and re-up'ed the Ex with a set of Goodyear wrangler A/T w/armour guard. Its my fourth set of that model. Its a fantastic tire, a little expensive but havnt had another brand wear near as well (had a very good set of Bridgestone one time). Cooper discovery lasted 2/3 of the Goodyear, on road/off road, roacks, mud, mosquite thorn, etc. I dont have prior experience with BFG A/T as I didnt like the older square profile, but the newer model looks good. Discount tire has always exceeded my expectations. When its your turn, they have 15 mins to get a car in and out and hold their employees to it.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:28 PM
EddieEX10
Senior User
I've been pleased with the Michelin ltx/ms2. Best riding and quietest tire I've owned.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:53 PM
avfrog
Junior User
X2 on AT3. I like them a lot.