1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Sinkhole at the Corvette Museum

Old 02-12-2014, 03:41 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Batman's cave was finally discovered.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:17 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll bet there are a few Corvette guys thinking PARTS cheap and plentiful. What a shame to see a beautiful machine ruined

Old 02-12-2014, 04:44 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the google link picture #35 shows what appears to be an old style sewer pipe - They can break and leak for years the whole time eating away the ground
We have sewer line in the City of Erie that are over 200 years old - They are made of brick - About once a year one breaks and we get a sink hole - No Vettes have been lost so they don't go national.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Wayne S
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well guys I am a Corvette lover big time. That is why my 48 is painted Corvette torch red and powered by LS6 engine.Bowling Green is the mecca for Vette lovers.I really hate to see this happen and hope it can be repaired and not torn down.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:26 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Branded
It's sad to see any collector car damaged or destroyed, I see a few Corvette haters amongst us.
Hate is such an ugly word . They are fun to drive .

Old 02-12-2014, 07:14 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i second the idea of too bad it wasn't under the oval office , and it shoulda been a bottomless sinkhole so the world wouldn't be darkened by his presence ever again ...... not much of a fan of chtitty's but i hate too see that happen to anyone's cars .

Old 02-12-2014, 09:28 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Branded
It's sad to see any collector car damaged or destroyed, I see a few Corvette haters amongst us.
I don't hate them - the mid-sixties models were beautiful.
But when they become velvet-rope-pay-to-even-look-at-them and/or forget-about-affording-them types of cars then at least preserve the sinkhole as a tourist attraction and let folks look at what happens when you try to defeat mother nature. Rust will take out our trucks some day and even an environmentally controlled high security building couldn't save these Corvettes.
Kinda like going to the Le Brea tar pits. Poor dinosaurs thought they were just going to have an easy little swim across that black pool. Nope, now they are gawked at by busloads of Japanese tourists and kids on field trip.

"Dad, I'm going on a field trip tomorrow and need this permission form signed and oh yeah I need $65 for admission"
"Where is your class going this time?"
"The Corvette pit"
"Wow I went there when I was your age and I remember when it was legal to drive a car like that- do they need a chaperone??!!"

Old 02-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Aarons54f100
Senior User
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Scary stuff. Are sink holes common in Kentucky?
Originally Posted by Doc
Not really, but, then again, nothing seems uncommon anymore. That's in Western Kentucky, near Bowling Green. In other words, much closer to the big cave networks like Mammoth Cave, etc.
Actually, They are very common in western ky.

I live close enough to the museum that if you gave me 3 beers Id still have a swig left by the time I walked to the parking lot. Currently there is a small sinkhole behind my house. When I was a kid growing up on the other side of town there was a major sinkhole that we used to play in all the time (it probably collapsed hundreds of years ago, and was safe) My grand mothers farm had a sinkhole in it. They would dump rocks and all kinds of junk into it. My moms farm now has a sink hole in it that is only a few feet deep. We dropped a bunch of rock into it... come to think of it I cannot think of any farm land around here that doesnt have a sinkhole nearby.

Several years back a sinkhole opened up on a major road. Cars drove into it when it collapsed.
http://www.marshall.edu/cegas/geohaz...hael%20May.pdf

As long as I have been around here sink holes have been common. Property with them on it is sold at discount. They come in all shapes and sizes and severity. Obviously this is an example of a very bad one. Some are as small as a foot across and 6 inches deep.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Aarons54f100
Senior User
Its actually a big enough ordeal that large construction projects are supposed to have a a geological survey done to verify construction being safe.

It seems like it is becoming more and more of a problem, maybe i should relocate.
Large Sinkholes Spotted in Bowling Green

I seem to remember a rumor that pearce ford tower was built on a filled in sinkhole. Pearce-Ford Tower

Old 02-12-2014, 10:33 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
OK I'll say it, I had an 82 Vett and loved it. Not as much as my F1 of course, but they do have there place in our culture. I hate to see any rare cars get hurt. I hope I didn't hurt any feelings.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:34 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have nothing against a vette. Everyone I have ever ridden in or driven rides worse than my Ol Bronco.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:21 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 288 Likes on 166 Posts
Thanks Aaron! Interesting stuff. It's always educational when development ignores the reality of local geography. Pretending that soil conditions or flood waters will respect the feeble construction of some is usually a losing proposition. There are some places where buildings and roads just don't belong.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:33 AM
Branded
Senior User
Originally Posted by gatorfor88
I have nothing against a vette. Everyone I have ever ridden in or driven rides worse than my Ol Bronco.
Sounds like you have never really ridden in a Corvette....

Old 02-13-2014, 08:19 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like the place had the same build quality as the cars . Sorry only kidding . I have never been a big fan of Vettes , But they are great cars that fill the needs of many . My regret is not buying a Cobra in the 70s .

Old 02-13-2014, 08:39 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 602 Likes on 374 Posts
After that poor guy in Florida slid into a sinkhole in his sleep, I have gotten real paranoid about them. I looked up some facts about them, and found this map that say 40 - 60% of the US has potential for them developing! NM is not real stable, because of a couple major rifts and lot of underground rivers. The one below opened up down south when they were drilling for brine.

Attached Images   

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sinkhole at the Corvette Museum