6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Contamination no Warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 05:35 AM
Old N Slow
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder why our trucks with this delicate fuel system were not adequately fitted with filtration to protect against this sort of catastropic failure? Seems like a case of manufacturer negligence.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:15 AM
Map Man 1
Senior User
Does installing the Dieselsite double filter void Ford's Factory Warranty?

Old 06-07-2014, 07:37 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Old N Slow
I wonder why our trucks with this delicate fuel system were not adequately fitted with filtration to protect against this sort of catastropic failure? Seems like a case of manufacturer negligence.
cause it costs money. if you look at the truck miles/fuel consumed and error rate its pretty small, tiny really.. Impactful to the truck owner, u bet.

every design solution is a tradeoff.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:46 PM
rcorcich
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by n3hcp
Diesel Fuel Conditioning Module AKA the main filter assembly.

Yep my diesel site fuel filter system went on when my truck was new , with a locking chrome fuel door , NO one fuels up or adds def but me . I drain my dcfm monthly only to find Clean water free fuel , also add a cocktail of diesel clean and fords pm22 (A) on every fill up . Peace of mind you betcha , My service advisor who just serviced my truck for warranty stuff saw it to and didn't have a problem with it , even he suggested adding a fuel treatment also. I just smiled and yep , every time .

Old 06-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,995 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Originally Posted by Map Man 1
Does installing the Dieselsite double filter void Ford's Factory Warranty?
I installed it on my Truck.

My reasoning is: It is before Ford's system and does not replace Ford's system, therefore it shouldn't be a problem. Just my opinion.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,995 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Originally Posted by rcorcich
Yep my diesel site fuel filter system went on when my truck was new , with a locking chrome fuel door , NO one fuels up or adds def but me . I drain my dcfm monthly only to find Clean water free fuel , also add a cocktail of diesel clean and fords pm22 (A) on every fill up . Peace of mind you betcha , My service advisor who just serviced my truck for warranty stuff saw it to and didn't have a problem with it , even he suggested adding a fuel treatment also. I just smiled and yep , every time .

I do what you do.
I have the dieselsite filter system.....drain the DCFM often (never any water).....I use Stanadyne.....
I do not lock my fuel door. If I were to get a High Pressure fuel system failure. Ford will blame it on water no matter what. (angers me that Ford is so dishonest on this) With the fuel door not locked......The insurance co. has two choices to cover the million dollar loss......Vandal or Fueling station. I am not sure which is better....Lock or No Lock ???

Old 06-07-2014, 08:08 PM
rcorcich
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My service advisor is the head honcho and in charge of the diesel / truck dept. One of the best and biggest in the area, he had no problem with the addition of it. But we really didn't talk about a Fass or air dog though.
I put the locking fuel door on when diesel almost hit $5.00 per gallon a while back and trucks in the area were getting emptied out over nite . A deterrent yes , total security no , Plus it matches the rest of the chrome.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:01 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
About those titan tanks;

I am almost sure, that if they do have more water in the fuel systems than the tanks that come on the trucks, it isn't because it dripped in, it's because the tank volume is huge, so more moisture will go in with the air as fuel is depleted.

Also, having a massive tank probably means owners are less likely to keep it full all the time.
my stock tank is 120 liters or whatever, and it's always full, and I've yet to see any water at all, and I just changed my fuel filter that was way past due, and looked a little yellow and brown on the corners, but probably would have been fine for another 40,000 km's.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:32 PM
apd966
5th Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 F250 w titan tank

I too am a victim of Fords inability to warranty water in the fuel system. I too have a Titan Tank installed. after reading all the posts about a titan tank my first stop after the $9600.00 repair will be a stop at the installer of the tank. One issue I have is WHY didn't my DFCM warning light come on?? it never came on to warn me, in addition the dealership never told me about draining the DFCM every month. That kind of money I don't have, hoping the insurance company comes thru for me, they are dragging their feet to respond to my claim. But they sure want your payment on time don't they. *******s.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:21 PM
ChiefMongo
New User
WIF is never warranty.

Water in fuel isn’t warranty. Will never be warranty. That’s why fords 3-5 micron water separator is there. DEF is almost 73% water and the rest is a terrible for high pressure fuel systems.

Rust on the sealed side of the fuel system voided the warranty.

DEF and yeah we can tell if it’s in there, Voids the watranty

ivr done many fuel contamination kits under warranty, so yes ford will cover them if it’s their side.

Ford doesn’t make the fuel system Bosch does. Quit complaining about ford and start emailing Bosch for their crappy CP4 pumps. All of the big 3 have the same pumps. Injectors etc.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:56 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 906 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiefMongo
Water in fuel isn’t warranty. Will never be warranty. That’s why fords 3-5 micron water separator is there. DEF is almost 73% water and the rest is a terrible for high pressure fuel systems.

Rust on the sealed side of the fuel system voided the warranty.

DEF and yeah we can tell if it’s in there, Voids the watranty

ivr done many fuel contamination kits under warranty, so yes ford will cover them if it’s their side.

Ford doesn’t make the fuel system Bosch does. Quit complaining about ford and start emailing Bosch for their crappy CP4 pumps. All of the big 3 have the same pumps. Injectors etc.
Hey Chief, this particular posting is already more than 5 years old. It is interesting, that we havent had nearly the same number of fuel contamination cases coming here in the last few years. Maybe folks are getting smarter.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:19 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by djousma
Hey Chief, this particular posting is already more than 5 years old. It is interesting, that we havent had nearly the same number of fuel contamination cases coming here in the last few years. Maybe folks are getting smarter.
Thats wishful thinking

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-18-2021, 09:14 AM
CP Dubbs
Senior User
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Looking through the thread, and don't see anyone suggesting that the fuel be treated when the tank is filled.
I've had diesels for 12 years now: bought lots of fuel. EVERY gallon I've ever purchased was doped with an additive that I put in at fill.
Bio diesel absorbs water from the air, much like ethanol in gasoline. It happens at the station, that's just one reason to buy fuel from busy stations where it does not have a chance to sit around. It happens in little used trucks. You'll find it in trucks that get stored seasonally. Could the Titan tank be allowing the transfer of air in and out as temps change?
The water separator can only do so much, IMO,. it needs a bit of help. Stanadyne, Alliant Ultra, Bell DEEZOL, Opti Lube. They all help water drop out so the separator can trap it. In the 6.7, you want a demulsifier. And since you have water, you probably have slime. PS Clear Diesel, StaBil Diesel Biocide manages slime.
I think maybe you try Peak Blue Agri-Clean for a while once you get things straightened out. DEEZOL and Alliant Ultra are very good as well.

Emul VS Demul

Old 05-19-2021, 10:15 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiefMongo
it should not matter....FORD has a water seperator......thats the warranty hook....if the separator fails it should be warranty fix along with any damage the defective separator has caused.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-23-2021, 01:29 AM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
ain't that the truth. the "duce n a halfs" we had would run on **** and jack daniels.. or was that us after the jack doing a lot of pissing..

but you are correct.. I think these companies do the absolute minimum to get EPA clearance to operate. They do get some years to work with the phase in of of the new standards like ULSD but the issue with ford has been the pumps used and it seem the water/ fuel filters the installed in trucks..

Ram and GMC went way from the CP4 pump, gmc some years ago, adn recently ram after only two model years 2019 and 20.. not sure why ford has stuck with the CP4 and the over the top dental of warranty claims on fuel systems it seems. unless someone at a ford dealership that knows the deal come forward we will never know i bet.

Originally Posted by 720Deere
The military runs their diesels on some pretty rough fuel at times compared to what is available to us at the pump. The technology exists, but at what cost?