6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Contamination no Warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 02:35 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you honestly believe that Ford is ever going to warranty any fuel system components on that truck ever again even if they do the work?

Old 02-15-2014, 02:42 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Not to sound condescending, that is a REALLY lousy idea. Even your best third-party diesel shops haven't seen very many 6.7L Powerstroke engines, and this thing isn't like ANYTHING that's ever been put in a truck before. And beyond that, towing your shop away with a failed high pressure fuel system will almost certainly result in your truck being flagged in Ford's warranty system that will seriously jeopardize any future warranty claims.

Your truck belongs in a Ford dealer with Ford factory-trained technicians working on it. Not some third party shop with questionable credentials, training, and tools. Leave the truck there and let the trained professionals handle it.
I couldn't agree more... Have a Ford dealership do the work when the truck is still under warranty.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:12 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Yep, plenty of documentation here on what happens when you pull your truck from the dealership that began the process.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:26 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
Yep, plenty of documentation here on what happens when you pull your truck from the dealership that began the process.
Yeah but that bus has already left the station. Warranty has been denied on this issue. I would definitely need written guarantee of future warranty coverage from somebody pretty high up at Ford and even then I would be very hesitant to pay them nearly twice as much as other Ford dealers have charged for complete fuel system replacement. I still want somebody to provide documentation that Ford will warranty anything on the OP's fuel system after the authorized dealer performs the Steve Austin repair. If his DFCM fails 6 months down the road, will they replace it on their dime?

It cracks me up how much people worry about their warranty when the reality is that unless you are an attorney or have one on retainer and you have indisputable documentation of all service work, you have a better chance of winning the $330 million lottery than getting some items covered by your warranty. Personally I wish they would offer a lower purchase price for a vehicle with no warranty at all, but they can't do that because auto warranties were Obamacare long before anybody ever heard of old Barry. The only time I haven't been hassled by a dealer over warranty work on any brand vehicle is when I had a connection with the service tech.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by 720Deere
Yeah but that bus has already left the station. Warranty has been denied on this issue. I would definitely need written guarantee of future warranty coverage from somebody pretty high up at Ford and even then I would be very hesitant to pay them nearly twice as much as other Ford dealers have charged for complete fuel system replacement. I still want somebody to provide documentation that Ford will warranty anything on the OP's fuel system after the authorized dealer performs the Steve Austin repair. If his DFCM fails 6 months down the road, will they replace it on their dime?
Here's your written guarantee:

http://www.fordparts.com/FileUploads...nt_10.1.13.pdf

Two year, unlimited mileage warranty on all Ford authorized service. Not that this is likely to come into play though, because the OP's warranty is still active. But the claim was denied due to contaminated fuel.
I know of more than one person here on FTE that have had HPFP replacements covered under warranty. I've never heard of a single case of warranty covering a repair when contamination was found.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Jefff H
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple thoughts:

First, if I ever had my water in fuel light come on I would like to drain my tank immediately and completely. I would like these tanks to come with a drain valve of some sort to expedite this process.

Second, I would like to see the big three offer an insurance policy just for the fuel system. I know I would pay an extra 50 bucks a year to have absolute coverage on the fuel system alone.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Jefff H
First, if I ever had my water in fuel light come on I would like to drain my tank immediately and completely. I would like these tanks to come with a drain valve of some sort to expedite this process.

Second, I would like to see the big three offer an insurance policy just for the fuel system. I know I would pay an extra 50 bucks a year to have absolute coverage on the fuel system alone.
Of course it's your truck and all....but a WIF light is simply a normal indicator that the system is working as designed. Water that separates out in the DFCM isn't what's destroying fuel systems. You have far more to worry about if you get a tank of wet fuel that doesn't set the WIF light.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:35 PM
hoverp
Junior User
A couple of things, 1. I run Stanadyne Performance in EVERY tankful. Do you guys think that would help the WIF if there was some bad fuel from a pump? I'm not talking about vandalism or a tank seal, but just from a bad fillup?

2. I would LOVE to find a locking fuel tank cap and DEF cap. Or a good door lock. But that would require drilling out of the stock fuel door and maybe the body panel as well. Does anyone know of some locking replacement caps?

Thanks.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:17 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
Originally Posted by hoverp
A couple of things, 1. I run Stanadyne Performance in EVERY tankful. Do you guys think that would help the WIF if there was some bad fuel from a pump? I'm not talking about vandalism or a tank seal, but just from a bad fillup?

2. I would LOVE to find a locking fuel tank cap and DEF cap. Or a good door lock. But that would require drilling out of the stock fuel door and maybe the body panel as well. Does anyone know of some locking replacement caps?

Thanks.
I've been using a Stant 10510D Diesel Locking Fuel Cap for about a year with no issues. Got it from Amazon for about $14. Nobody puts anything it that fuel tank but me, period!!

Old 02-26-2014, 11:39 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
It would be worthwhile to check that ring seal on the tank. It could have slipped during installation or, more likely, not torqued properly. Any water sitting up on top of the tank will work it's way into the fuel if that seal is not done right.

If you compare the seal design between the OEM tank and the Titan tank, you'll quickly discover that the Titan seal is actually more robust. The seal is slightly larger in diameter and ring that clamps it down is thicker and more rigid. The OEM seal is stamped steel and can flex a little with hand pressure. You can't flex the Titan ring.

After installing one myself, I can see how mistakes can be made. Titan is very clear in it's instructions that the seal must be installed in a two-step process. First to torque it down in a crossing pattern and second, to wait 20 minutes for the seal to compress and then carefully torque it again. Ford obviously does not have this problem with their uniform installation procedure in their controlled assembly environment.

I'm not saying this happened to the OP. We don't have enough information to determine that but we have heard stories of shoddy installations that have caused problems.

Epic, I am an old guy who doesn't work on my truck. I buy all my fuel from one station and have all my receipts for the last 3 years. I also use a double dose of PM22 hoping extra lube will protect the pump and if not, that's what insurance is for............Is there any thing above the tank?

Long ago a guy I knew was body off restoring a 70 SS 454 Chevelle. The gas tank has 1/8 inch thick tar paper strips on it, a depression, O ring and round retainer on the fuel pick up. Since the strips were decayed they were removed and forgotten about. The tank has straps that hold it to the bottom of the trunk. Are you familiar with the set up? A spot on the underside of the car needed spot blasting. No big deal. Here is what happened. A few hundred miles into the car it starved for fuel and died. We found the filter (we had installed an inline 10 micron filter) was clogged with sand. When the tank was installed the fuel sender contacted the trunk and without the strips, tightening the straps compressed the O ring gasket allowing the sand to find its way from the top of the tank into the depression and thru the O ring into the tank. The good filter saved the engine.

I just wonder if there is a possibility something like that could happen here.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:58 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by CornTruckDriver
Epic, I am an old guy who doesn't work on my truck. I buy all my fuel from one station and have all my receipts for the last 3 years. I also use a double dose of PM22 hoping extra lube will protect the pump and if not, that's what insurance is for............Is there any thing above the tank?

Long ago a guy I knew was body off restoring a 70 SS 454 Chevelle. The gas tank has 1/8 inch thick tar paper strips on it, a depression, O ring and round retainer on the fuel pick up. Since the strips were decayed they were removed and forgotten about. The tank has straps that hold it to the bottom of the trunk. Are you familiar with the set up? A spot on the underside of the car needed spot blasting. No big deal. Here is what happened. A few hundred miles into the car it starved for fuel and died. We found the filter (we had installed an inline 10 micron filter) was clogged with sand. When the tank was installed the fuel sender contacted the trunk and without the strips, tightening the straps compressed the O ring gasket allowing the sand to find its way from the top of the tank into the depression and thru the O ring into the tank. The good filter saved the engine.

I just wonder if there is a possibility something like that could happen here.
There is a difference between the OEM and the Titan tanks. Go to the 5 minute mark in this video and you'll see. The OEM tank seal is on a flat surface while the Titan seal is in a depression. Any water that gets up there would literally have to evaporate to get out. Thus the need to pay special attention to installing the O-ring and compression ring correctly.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:15 AM
XXLTexan
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by n3hcp
Every time another one of these stories comes to light (sorry about your issues, by the way and good luck with a quick resolution) it reaffirms my decision to put one of these on. Just a quick glance under the truck and seeing no water in the bowls always gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling (and, yes, I still drain the DFCM regularly).

This should get the job done!
Is this the separator in the link above?

Old 02-28-2014, 03:11 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
Originally Posted by XXLTexan
This should get the job done!
Is this the separator in the link above?
Probably, but for simplicity sake here it is again:

http://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsite...separator.aspx

Old 06-06-2014, 04:28 AM
Enviroguy
New User
Originally Posted by 720Deere
The only time I haven't been hassled by a dealer over warranty work on any brand vehicle is when I had a connection with the service tech.
Funny you mention that, the only time I haven't been hassled by a dealer over warranty work is when I owned a Toyota. Heck, they even did warranty work for me when it was blatantly my fault.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,946 Likes on 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Enviroguy
Funny you mention that, the only time I haven't been hassled by a dealer over warranty work is when I owned a Toyota. Heck, they even did warranty work for me when it was blatantly my fault.
Some companies put value on customer loyalty and pay out some money to have it. Smart in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Fuel Contamination no Warranty!