Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.7 hot engine oil???

Old 07-23-2014, 04:35 PM
mebe2k
Posting Guru
mebe2k is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When I did my first hill pull with my 6.7 while towing my 36' fifth wheel, it was going from Kingman, AZ to Laughlin, NV, and back again..over that nasty grade in 112F+ heat....I never felt the truck back off on power..the temp gauge climbed up to 3/4 way and the fan kicked on, and it dropped back down to where it always runs in about 30 seconds..I think the reasoning behind the fan not kicking in sooner is for fuel economy..because that fan will put some noticable drag on the engine..

I have been a truck driver for 10 years, and have pulled many a heavy load uphill in 100+ heat..the 6.7 pretty much acts the same as a truck tractor engine pulling a hill..heats up, fan kicks on, cools back down again..as far as the oil temps go, like a truck tractor engine, if the oil or coolant gets too hot, the ECM will deal with it, by either cutting back on power, or doing a total shutdown if it is serious.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:38 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Mine did not derate at all.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:37 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by senix View Post
Mine did not derate at all.
I used to think the same thing until I really started looking for it! If isn't fall on its face obvious when it happens.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:16 PM
pstroke67
Freshman User
pstroke67 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Derate will occur when which temperature is over 80C? That's kind of confusing.

Nope. No synthetic oil required. The factory spec CJ-4 oil in any of the recommended grades. 5w40 is a full-synthetic grade, but the others can come in dino or synthetic. No reason to spend more for synthetic oil; the OLM is calibrated to regular dino oil.

Wow, sounds to me like you're getting some misinformation from the dealer. One of my favorite sayings is "In God we trust, all others bring DATA!" Pstroke67 did just that and cited his sources, and it sounds like the folks at the dealer just guessed. Sounds like the folks you spoke with at the dealer didn't know what they were talking about.

Four turbos...you have some lousy luck!
Tom if you back up a little it states if FRT "fuel rail temperature" gets above 176 F or 80 C Vehicle will de rate power

Old 07-23-2014, 09:14 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by pstroke67 View Post
Tom if you back up a little it states if FRT "fuel rail temperature" gets above 176 F or 80 C Vehicle will de rate power
Makes sense, thanks!

Old 07-27-2014, 11:42 AM
porthole
Postmaster
porthole has a great reputation on FTE.porthole has a great reputation on FTE.porthole has a great reputation on FTE.porthole has a great reputation on FTE.porthole has a great reputation on FTE.
Just got back from a 800 mile trip up to Boston area and then eastern NY. Not big hills, but hills just the same. Our trailer is a toy hauler, so 5 inches wider then normal and probably around 18K loaded.

Highest temps when I cared to check were 218 trans and 243 oil.
No lack of power, kept cruise set speed of 62-63 with no problem and cooled off as soon as either the fan kicked on or we crested the hill.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:31 PM
lynnmor
Senior User
lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.
The early 6.7's had plastic oil pans. Surely the new steel pans would radiate a bit more heat. I wonder if anyone noticed any difference between the two.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:33 PM
Irelands child
Posting Guru
Irelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to behold
I know, ancient thread but still relevant and much good info.

Today was the first time I've paid much attention to lube oil and trans ATF temps and was very surprised with the 239 degree engine oil while doing some nasty 6-7+ percent grades on I-70 in Utah (+/-7000 feet) and not a particularly hot day at 85-88 degrees. The engine ran fine, the transmission never exceeded 201. The down hills saw the temps fall back to the 210-220 range and even lower on the flats, This was all while hauling our 38', 12K+ 5er into a 20 plus mph headwind (love the 12.9 mpg over 4000+ miles vs the 6-7 of the V10 before this truck)

With all that said, kinda curious if anyone has had any 'official' Ford word on max oil temps since the thread was started last year

Old 09-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Pocket
Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
I know, ancient thread but still relevant and much good info.

Today was the first time I've paid much attention to lube oil and trans ATF temps and was very surprised with the 239 degree engine oil while doing some nasty 6-7+ percent grades on I-70 in Utah (+/-7000 feet) and not a particularly hot day at 85-88 degrees. The engine ran fine, the transmission never exceeded 201. The down hills saw the temps fall back to the 210-220 range and even lower on the flats, This was all while hauling our 38', 12K+ 5er into a 20 plus mph headwind (love the 12.9 mpg over 4000+ miles vs the 6-7 of the V10 before this truck)

With all that said, kinda curious if anyone has had any 'official' Ford word on max oil temps since the thread was started last year
Oil temps won't reach 250. Try as hard as you can, you won't get there. A little over 240 is OEM spec, so don't worry about it. Using the correct oil will keep the motor safe at those temps.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:02 AM
buzybraza
New User
buzybraza is starting off with a positive reputation.
No, no official answer.

Just one service manager from one ford dealership telling me it should not be sustained over 220f.

And another service manager from another ford dealership telling me it is OK to run at 240f "all day".

Both of them were sarcastic telling me I won't be able to hurt the engine no matter what I do.

As for my experience with engine oil and atf temps, it is much like yours, transmission will fluctuate between 195f to 205f no matter what the conditions are. Engine oil will stay at 205f and reach 240f very quickly if I am climbing and towing. I have had it at 243f max.

My personal opinion is that anything over 220f for engine oil is too hot. I believe this 6.7 engine needs a bigger oil cooler, or another one, or a dedicated fan to keep temps in check.
I don't give a rats *** about the official ford bs or any scientific lab talk.
My personal opinion is based on friends that race desert in so cal and push equipment to the limit and sometimes beyond. I have seen blown engines with data acquisition and changes done to keep problems from happening again.
Official ford talk is based on emissions first and NOT on equipment longevity.

Last edited by buzybraza; 09-04-2015 at 11:02 AM. Reason: english correction
Old 09-04-2015, 11:05 AM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Don't really agree with any of that Braza. You can speculate all you want, but these trucks use an oil-to-water cooler, not an oil-to-air one. You can get as big as you want, and it's still never going to cool beneath your coolant temps.

Originally Posted by buzybraza View Post
Official ford talk is based on emissions first and NOT on equipment longevity.
Yeah, okay. What exactly do oil temperatures have to do with emissions?

Old 09-04-2015, 11:20 AM
buzybraza
New User
Don't really agree with any of that Braza. You can speculate all you want, but these trucks use an oil-to-water cooler, not an oil-to-air one. You can get as big as you want, and it's still never going to cool beneath your coolant temps.

Sorry I said anything. You are right I am wrong.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:38 AM
buzybraza
New User
But, since you asked.....

The hotter you can run an engine the more complete the combustion will be. So the more complete combustion will make the life of the emissions stuff (catalytic converters, secondary air injections systems, etc....) easier.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:19 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation

This was the last sample I pulled. It was a 4K or so mile towing my 5er in those nice summer temps through the rockies no less.

I saw up to 248F oil temps for long periods of time.

oil stood up just fine

Old 09-04-2015, 03:41 PM
buzybraza
New User
Excellent news! Thanks for posting the above report!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.7 hot engine oil???

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: