1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

E4OD to ZF5

Old 03-25-2014, 05:23 PM
DougJ_1997PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD to ZF5

Hey guys, Im new to FTE, and Im considering getting rid of my recently rebuilt E4OD (1000-2000 miles on it) to a ZF5. What all do i need to do to the PCM and the truck to do this? and how easily will I be able to find the parts and do it? And how much will it cost? thanks guys!

Old 03-25-2014, 05:30 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
It's best/cheaper to find a whole parts truck

Old 03-25-2014, 05:30 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Welcome to FTE !

Old 03-25-2014, 05:37 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fordpride
It's best/cheaper to find a whole parts truck
Mike hit the nail on the head here. I wish I would have when I did mine. I had about 2700 in mine. However, I went with a very expensive clutch that was 1k alone with the SMF.

If you find the right parts truck for the right price, you won't have to get driveshaft(s) cut and you could probably make back most of the swap money by parting out the rig.

Oh and welcome to FTE!

Old 03-25-2014, 06:03 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DougJ_1997PSD
Hey guys, Im new to FTE, and Im considering getting rid of my recently rebuilt E4OD (1000-2000 miles on it) to a ZF5. What all do i need to do to the PCM and the truck to do this? and how easily will I be able to find the parts and do it? And how much will it cost? thanks guys!
Welcome to FTE! Like these guys said, a complete donor truck would be the way to go, but I know that's not always possible. I have done this swap many times, and here is a list of things you will need to make your truck look like it came from the factory with a ZF.

ZF trans
Solid flywheel and clutch kit
Clutch master and slave cylinders
ZF trans cross member from same cab configuration truck.
Drive shafts from a '96 or '97 (because of the 4407 t-case) same cab conf. with ZF
ZF trans wiring harness
Manual trans PCM, or get a 6 position chip and have it tuned for a manual.
Pedal assembly
Floor pan from a manual truck with shifter hole (F150s will work)
Steering column cover
Key release mechanism
Black panel for gauge cluster to eliminate P R N D 2 1
Some wiring modifications will need to be done.

Where are you located?

Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 PM
DougJ_1997PSD
Senior User
Thanks a lot guys! this all looks great! I live in MD. ReBilld, how much does a swap usually run you? i live near a few junkyards that might have a usable psd in them. and how involved are the wiring modifications? im considering getting this done by a shop because i dont have many specialty tools at my disposal, and i dont have any jacks or lifts for the truck or trans. and will i need a new t-case? ive looked around and it doesnt seem so, as long as you replace the driveshafts.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:10 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Welcome to FTE! Like these guys said, a complete donor truck would be the way to go, but I know that's not always possible. I have done this swap many times, and here is a list of things you will need to make your truck look like it came from the factory with a ZF.

ZF trans
Solid flywheel and clutch kit
Clutch master and slave cylinders
ZF trans cross member from same cab configuration truck.
Drive shafts from a '96 or '97 (because of the 4407 t-case) same cab conf. with ZF
ZF trans wiring harness
Manual trans PCM, or get a 6 position chip and have it tuned for a manual.
Pedal assembly
Floor pan from a manual truck with shifter hole (F150s will work)
Steering column cover
Key release mechanism
Black panel for gauge cluster to eliminate P R N D 2 1
Some wiring modifications will need to be done.

Where are you located?
You don't HAVE to have a manual PCM or tuning to run he ZF. I don't have either! Lol

Originally Posted by DougJ_1997PSD
Thanks a lot guys! this all looks great! I live in MD. ReBilld, how much does a swap usually run you? i live near a few junkyards that might have a usable psd in them. and how involved are the wiring modifications? im considering getting this done by a shop because i dont have many specialty tools at my disposal, and i dont have any jacks or lifts for the truck or trans. and will i need a new t-case? ive looked around and it doesnt seem so, as long as you replace the driveshafts.
You will not need a new t case, but the 1356 and 4407 have a slip yoke vs companion flange depending on what you use or can source driveshaft wise. You do not need any specialty tools. You could easily buy all the jacks/jack stands (assuming you have a least SOME ratchets/sockets) and a few other tools you'd need for much cheaper than what a shop would charge. This is not the end of the world type swap. We (Rebilld) and a few others had this done in a day and a half on my truck. Although like he said, he has done several. We can easily walk you through it.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:10 PM
DougJ_1997PSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by tshrager
You don't HAVE to have a manual PCM or tuning to run he ZF. I don't have either! Lol

You will not need a new t case, but the 1356 and 4407 have a slip yoke vs companion flange depending on what you use or can source driveshaft wise. You do not need any specialty tools. You could easily buy all the jacks/jack stands (assuming you have a least SOME ratchets/sockets) and a few other tools you'd need for much cheaper than what a shop would charge. This is not the end of the world type swap. We (Rebilld) and a few others had this done in a day and a half on my truck. Although like he said, he has done several. We can easily walk you through it.
I'm pretty much set with sockets and rachets, but I might need some deep sockets, and that's what napa is for! I'm also lacking the jack/jack stands which should be pretty cheap. Thanks a lot! I'm just doing my research for the most part, and I probably won't start anything until the summer when I actually have time...between shifts that is (not my truck shifts). Thanks again for helping! No one in my family really knows what they're doing too well.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:00 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can source all the parts, drive down here to my shop one weekend and I will do the swap for you for your E4OD, if it is in good shape.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ReBilld
If you can source all the parts, drive down here to my shop one weekend and I will do the swap for you for your E4OD, if it is in good shape.
He's not lying. He along with others on here did mine.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:33 AM
1994F2507.3L
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
So you really don't have to buy a pcm if you have a ts chip tuned? Anyone special do those tunes or can all the major guys do it? Anyone on here done it before? I got a buddy halfway through one a these swaps but he hasn't bought a new pcm yet he would really like to spend that money on something other than a pcm I think lol

Old 03-26-2014, 06:42 AM
91 Dually
Elder User

I did this swap almost a year ago. Still running on my auto ecu. The only difference I have seen is it will romp romp on startup in below 30 degree weather. (I also have a ts chip with basic non-custom tunes)

Old 03-26-2014, 11:30 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
There's quite a few of us here that have done the swap. I did it last summer and am still using the auto pcm with no tunes. No romps at all. Mine is a Cali model though, I'm not sure if that matters.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:20 PM
DougJ_1997PSD
Senior User
where is your shop ReBilld? i would like to try and do this myself, but i also want to talk to my ford dealer in the area

Old 03-26-2014, 01:21 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
If your going to pay a shop then you should just get a BTS trans built.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E4OD to ZF5