6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 L Injector Clean and Reseal

Old 04-17-2014, 10:43 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by parkland
I don't think you want a fuel additive that will disperse the water, or it will go right through the water blocking membrane on the fuel filter.
Maybe thats the reason this happened, wrong fuel additive....
Correct. Nothing with alcohol or another emulsifier. You want something that is a DEMULSIFIER.

Old 10-03-2020, 03:09 PM
Mikeyp04
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by winklershop
Basically we had to do a cab off, entire fuel system tear down. We were able to clean certain parts like the fuel tank, a few lines, but not much. Everything else got replaced with brand new ford parts. They seem to be building the 6.4 injectors so they cannot be taken apart without extremely specialized tools and I would assume that only the ford remanufactures can rebuild them. we replaced all the injectors, hpfp, all the high pressure lines, fuel cooler, hfcm and pump, were able to clean the fuel rails, and we used some old high pressure fuel lines to flush out the return fuel passages in the heads, and im glad we did that because there was a lot of metal debris in there. We also did the front cover update, because ours was cavitated so badly. Our pump failed due to water. Water created rust, and started the galling process. I believe we got water because I was getting fuel out of town, which can contain up to 10% bio diesel, which created the “fuel cheese” in the hfcm, and blocked the wif sensor, and the water got in the fuel and through the pump and then It catastrophic failure from there. This job and the front cover cost us $13k to fix. Going forward, I have learned the water in fuel is a huge deal…because even if you do everything right, you can still get water in your fuel because they use water to remove the sulfer from the fuel, so x amount of water comes from the fuel manufacture, so proper tank maintenance is extremely important. Control your fuel quality; always use a fuel additive, like power service because you get the water dispersant, lubricity additive, and cetane boost. These trace water amounts from the fuel provider could be enough to get by the wif sensor and over time through the hpfp and eventually start to rust to pump. This is why a fuel additive is important to help disperse the water in fuel, it basically surrounds the water molecules so that they don’t touch any of the metal surfaces. As far as the front cover, I will be replacing coolant every year, no matter what. The amount of work this coolant has to do is insane, and this will be even more important on the 6.7 because that cooling system does even more work. The 6.7 also has a very similar hpfp which will be susceptible to the same problems.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

can you tell me how you flushed the fuel passages in the heads. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!