1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How to safely deflate a widowmaker

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 04:15 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Now that we've all had our rounds of commenting on GB's shooting skills, I must point out the danger of shooting at a hard surface such as a wheel. Never shoot at a hard surface is a basic gun safety rule.
A ricochet is a distinct possibility in this case if the projectile had hit the wheel. Even hitting the tire can result in ricochet and the bullet going where unexpected.
A few years ago, my gun club built a pistol range back stop of tires in against a dirt bank and there have been reports of bullets ricocheting off the tires.
The real danger with the widowmaker wheel is when the two pieces of the wheel separate suddenly and all the energy is released at one time.
Yeah, we've all done stuff like this. Please take this as a basic firearm safety lesson, not to criticize.
Thanks for listening.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:23 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My question is did you eat that chicken for dinner?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:46 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Having store bought chicken tonight! Those new layers cost 15 bucks apiece and we get 3.50 a dozen for the eggs. I did consider the ricochet, but there is nothing else around and I didn't think it was possible for a bullet to do a 180 and come back and hit us. I know the bullet can travel a mile, but in the ravine you would sort of have to see it and you would get it I think. As far as rolling the wheel, the ravine peters out before any road or anything and this country is so thick with underbrush, I think it's still on our property, but the salmonberry bushes are so thick and that's why we can't find the missing 235 85 16. I still haven't rolled the 8.25 x 20, so maybe I'll think about it first. A fire ring IS good idea (after we burn that tire off) 'JK'...... 517 Pickett's Lane, Olga Wa. 98279 ....on Google earth You'll see my '37 parked on the hill down to my sawmill. It has a tired six volt battery, so hills CAN be a good thing! Thanks for all the input and comments. .

Old 02-11-2014, 01:00 AM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ricochet was my first thought too. It is very possible for a bullet to bounce back from a flat surface and hit the shooter, search for it on YouTube. I was in the military and have done a lot of weapons training and it's a basic rule. Not trying to criticise here but it could have gone badly wrong for you.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:36 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
I have a friend that was on a tour in Montana for early cars. He was driving his 1910 Stanley Steamer which lost a rear wheel at about 45 mph. The wheel is a very heavy large diameter wooden spoke wheel with a 15" brake drum. As he fought to keep the Stanley on the road, he yelled at his wife to watch the wheel. The "search party" spent many hours looking to no avail. He put an ad in a local paper with a $500 reward. A guy fishing in the spring found it in a creek a very long way from where it came loose. It had climbed over 2 fences in addition before finding it's resting spot!

Old 02-11-2014, 07:23 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
That's an amazing story, Bill. Nobody can really appreciate how far a good-sized tire can go until they witness it.

So the moral to my contribution to this thread is simple--always wipe all fingerprints off large truck tires before throwing them over the side of a mountain.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:32 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
You mean there's advantage to being a flat lander? No mountains! Besides that, I think I'll retain my 1/8" drill bit technique. Stu

Old 02-11-2014, 09:31 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
As for me, I'll go back to only soft targets (raccoons and such) and maybe even taking my old tires and wheels to the dump. Or add them to the pile (laid flat) up behind my shop.........I appreciate the wise advice here, honestly.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:05 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Never underestimate how far those tires can roll. I'd bet the $25 right now that the wheel is not on your property at all. I watched my high school buddy pic up a very similar truck tire and launch it off the side of a mountain once. We begged him not to do it because there were houses below in the valley. Before we could stop him, he grabbed a big truck wheel like that and just launched it off the mountain. We stood there in absolute amazement as that thing literally knocked down everything in its path. It literally crushed 4-5 inch trees, fences, etc. It went all the way to the bottom of the mountain, bounced across somebody's yard and driveway, and went seemingly 30 or 40 yards up the other side. It would have killed anybody or anything in its path, and it would have gone completely through that house if it hadn't missed it. We were mortified.
Doc , who was holding the beer ?

Old 02-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by firstrider
Doc , who was holding the beer ?
LOL. Believe it or not, we were sober, and only about 14 or 15 years old riding our dirt bikes. I miss my friends. I miss those days of my life. It was simpler then. My neighborhood was kind of like the kids on the movie Stand By Me.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:28 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Me too, Doc. We even had the railroad tracks about 50 yards away. Walked 'em all the time. Great movie.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:05 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
LOL. Believe it or not, we were sober, and only about 14 or 15 years old riding our dirt bikes. I miss my friends. I miss those days of my life. It was simpler then. My neighborhood was kind of like the kids on the movie Stand By Me.
My neighborhood was and still is like the movie Deliverance.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aussiecowboy
Ricochet was my first thought too. It is very possible for a bullet to bounce back from a flat surface and hit the shooter, search for it on YouTube. I was in the military and have done a lot of weapons training and it's a basic rule. Not trying to criticise here but it could have gone badly wrong for you.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Old 02-11-2014, 06:52 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still say the best way to deflat one of these is let someone you don't like do it for you

Old 02-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A relative of mine (years ago as a kid) was playing around with an old tire and rim and whatever happened that tire would up heading down one of the bigger hills in the area. That old tire and rim wound up stuck in the side of one of the brand new government houses at the bottom of the hill! Oops!

Sam

Quick Reply: How to safely deflate a widowmaker