Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What would cause this oil leak ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:37 AM
maevans
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What would cause this oil leak ?

About two weeks ago, I was sitting in my truck with it idling after work returning some phone calls.
After about fifteen minutes late, I shut my truck off and went to plug it in for the night and I found a 24” diameter oil spot under the truck in the right front corner on my driveway and dripping from under the battery area. I opened the hood to find the right top side of the motor to be covered and dripping of oil. Also found the right side of the insulation on the hood to be soaked and dripping of oil. After looking around for a bit, I found that my oil dip stick was sticking up out of the tube a good 2”.I check the oil level and it was 2 gallons low.

After a lengthy cleanup and replacing the hood insulation. I finally think I have got the oil that leaked out to stop dripping. Oil level is good, truck starts and runs fine.

Done the blow by test and the oil cap sits on top and doesn’t move.
I do all my own maintance on the truck, so I would have been the one that didn’t push the dip stick in.
The day it happen it was -5 degrees all day and -15 at night.

Here are my questions.
Has anyone heard of that much oil leaking because the dip stick that was not pushed in all the way?
Do I have a problem I’m not aware of ?
I’m I paranoid and I need to chalk this up to not pushing the dip stick in all the way after check the oil ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Sounds like one of your HPOP lines has failed. You'll know it at soon as you rev your engine again...if so, you will likely spew all over your engine compartment again.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:16 AM
maevans
Posting Guru

That was the first thing I checked, After I refilled the oil, I had a buddy rev the engine a few time and then held at high ideal while I check the HPOP lines with a flash light and they were all fine and dry. No oil in the valley either.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
I find it hard to believe that not seating the dipstick could cause that amount of oil loss....and the crankcase pressure required to push 2 gallons of oil through the dipstick tube. If it has...I think you have a bigger problem than you know......and that is, why is the crankcase pressure so high?

Old 02-09-2014, 11:23 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I suppose it could be just from the dipstick not being seated. Oil is being flung all over the place in the oil pan when the engine is running. Combine that with the crankcase pressure, and it could be forced out the dipstick tube. I'd just keep an eye on it. If you want to test that theory you could pop the dipstick out, make some kind of catch can to fit over the tube, take it for a drive and see what happens.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:58 PM
garydmundy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your CCV or the hose leading from it is plugged, it will cause oil to blow out of your dipstick. Remove it and the hose and clean them out. Oh, it takes a little time for the crank case to build up pressure and blow the oil out. That's maybe why you can't see it leaking now. Clean it all up and than take it for a drive.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:53 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
A loose dipstick won't leak any more oil than a CCV mod will.

Cold temperatures can cause an o-ring to leak when it wouldn't leak when cold. From what you're describing, I'd say you've got an o-ring spraying oil when it's cold enough but stops leaking when the engine warms up.

Look directly under the oil stain on the hood insulation for a place to start. HPOP line connections are the common failure points.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:54 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Well it happen again four days ago when it was -5 with blowing snow.

I found it after I let my truck warm up for about five minutes the other morning. After I popped the hood, I found the dip stick pushed up about 1 1/2" and oil coming out. so I let the truck sit and drove the wife's car to work

After work and know it being 30 degrees out, I checked and topped off the oil. started it up and found no leak.

I had the CCV freeze on me about 2 years ago, but that time it leaked about a half a quart for the tail pipe. I found about a two foot section of the CCV hose frozen solid.

So I decided to put the CCV back to stock, and so far so good, no leak.
I will keep checking it every morning during warm up and will post if it happen again.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:34 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
With your ccv being back to stock now retry the blow by test and see if there's any difference.

Gotta love the warm Michigan winters..... I dropped my trans to change the converter a week or so ago

Old 02-21-2014, 06:01 AM
maevans
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by JOHN2001
With your ccv being back to stock now retry the blow by test and see if there's any difference.

Gotta love the warm Michigan winters..... I dropped my trans to change the converter a week or so ago
I check the blowby this morning and happy to say it is good, cap can sit on the filler neck. Thanks for the advice.

Last week was tough, last Wednseday and Thursday when I start work a 7:00am it was a - 8 degress. Had to jump start the manlift both days.