6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Adding another camera for bed of truck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Wizness
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding another camera for bed of truck?

I already have front and rear cameras installed and was just wondering if anyone has installed a camera to look at their bed/what your towing. I would like to be able to keep and eye on the boat while towing etc. I want to keep it as clean as possible and was thinking of possible adding a small flushmount camera up by the roof next to the 3rd brake light/ bed lights. Just didn't really want to drill into my truck where it's that noticeable. So has anyone added another camera? Odds are I probably won't do it but you never know.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Thom12
Senior User
I have my third camera mounted behind my fifth wheel. got a disconnect plug right along side where my in-bed factory trailer plug is. Works great.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:16 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thom12, are you using the Lockpick with your factory tailgate camera? If so, is your Lockpick an older version with just a software update or is it a newer unit?

Old 02-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Wizness
Senior User
Originally Posted by 720D. eere
Thom12, are you using the Lockpick with your factory tailgate camera? If so, is your Lockpick an older version with just a software update or is it a newer unit?
I have the newer version lockpick with an aftermarket front and rear camera...I still have one spot left for a 3rd camera.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:51 PM
jmhatchett
Senior User
Dodge Ram has a camera option IN the third brake light... might try to find something like that.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Wizness
Senior User
Originally Posted by jmhatchett
Dodge Ram has a camera option IN the third brake light... might try to find something like that.
Just found this on another forum. I think I might have to go with something like this. Apparently they used a stock backup camera but I would think you could do the same with any camera and run it to the lockpick.

http://www.heartlandowners.org/showt...location/page2

Old 02-06-2014, 04:49 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...te-CAM870.html

Micro camera that you can mount however you want.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:53 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I was going to post this since I am also a member of that forum

I plan on doing the same, but have the camera feed to a mirror monitor instead.

Originally Posted by Wizness
Just found this on another forum. I think I might have to go with something like this. Apparently they used a stock backup camera but I would think you could do the same with any camera and run it to the lockpick.

Ford F250 Back Up Camera Relocation - Page 2

Old 02-07-2014, 10:55 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EGG-xactly what I am deciding on now.... very interested in a solution... help this rookie along !!!!

Was just about to do a $800 wireless Voyager camera for the back of the 5er and a second camera for the bed ?
I tried this and while it allowed me to see the hitch, would like a better solution and this sounds like it !

so I go to Ford and get:
1) Camera part # BL3Z 19G490 B.......cost $79.84
2) Wiring harness part # DC3Z 14A412 A.....cost $13.90 in my case for 2013
3) Shielded cable - where to get it ? and how much for a short bed CC?
4) generic camera to be mounted in backup light - think there might be any legal issues ?

Anything else ?

"There is is a plug at the rear of the box for disconnecting the tailgate harness when removing the tailgate. This is where you will plug your new harness in and rout it back to the cab along the frame rail. There is a rubber grommet in each side of the rear of the cab that you will access to enter the cab with the harness. From there you can route the harness up the corner go the cab and across the top of the headliner to the third brake light. Make sure when you are lengthening the harness that you use shielded cable. "

THANKS !

Old 02-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Wizness
Senior User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
EGG-xactly what I am deciding on now.... very interested in a solution... help this rookie along !!!!

Was just about to do a $800 wireless Voyager camera for the back of the 5er and a second camera for the bed ?
I tried this and while it allowed me to see the hitch, would like a better solution and this sounds like it !

so I go to Ford and get:
1) Camera part # BL3Z 19G490 B.......cost $79.84
2) Wiring harness part # DC3Z 14A412 A.....cost $13.90 in my case for 2013
3) Shielded cable - where to get it ? and how much for a short bed CC?
4) generic camera to be mounted in backup light - think there might be any legal issues ?

Anything else ?

"There is is a plug at the rear of the box for disconnecting the tailgate harness when removing the tailgate. This is where you will plug your new harness in and rout it back to the cab along the frame rail. There is a rubber grommet in each side of the rear of the cab that you will access to enter the cab with the harness. From there you can route the harness up the corner go the cab and across the top of the headliner to the third brake light. Make sure when you are lengthening the harness that you use shielded cable. "

THANKS !
If your going to buy the camera from ford BL3Z 19G490 B...you don't need a generic camera. The ford camera will go in the 3rd brake light and then you just run your wiring back to where the rear tailgate camera goes. In my case, since I have a lockpick and have used aftermarket cameras for the front and rear, I will get a generic camera and mount it in the 3rd brake light. I would really look into getting a lock pick so you can view the cameras at anytime. It was well worth the price. A for the shielded cable I just use wire loom that you can get at Lowe's or home depot. Looks like corrugated tubing.

Wire loom I used to protect the cable on my truck.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:42 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks,
I thought you meant a special cable, a wire loom is ez,
had to do that for the utility trailer in our back yard when our new puppy decided the wiring was good to chew on

only thing holding me back on the lock pick is I am no longer an "installer" -
not one to tear into the dash, etc... any more

but think I have enough energy to do this brake light camera

The other thing I am interested in is a camera on the back of our 5er...
The Voyager wireless sounds great and I'm sure works great,
but it will be in the $900 range installed...

so appreciate your input and any insight would be appreciated !

Old 02-07-2014, 03:14 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,971 Likes on 2,190 Posts
Tomahawk installed one...I'm sure he'll chime in when he see this thread.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Originally Posted by 720Deere

Matt,
I have one of the first versions of Lockpick for the Sync (with hard drive) for the MY 2011 and 2012 and yes it works with the tail gate camera, I have another camera up on my front license so the wife can see when pulling into a parking spot.
Actually the factory tail gate camera has a much better picture than the two cameras that I purchased with my lockpick. Just had one issue with it (Bus connection error) and Coastaltech replaced it as soon as I called them.
It really is great to be able to turn that camera on behind the 5'er and watch yourself back over a dump station .

Old 02-07-2014, 03:30 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Thom12
Matt,
I have one of the first versions of Lockpick for the Sync (with hard drive) for the MY 2011 and 2012 and yes it works with the tail gate camera, I have another camera up on my front license so the wife can see when pulling into a parking spot.
Actually the factory tail gate camera has a much better picture than the two cameras that I purchased with my lockpick. Just had one issue with it (Bus connection error) and Coastaltech replaced it as soon as I called them.
It really is great to be able to turn that camera on behind the 5'er and watch yourself back over a dump station .
That is interesting. Coastaltech told me that my 2012 model lockpick will not operate a second camera along with my factory tailgate camera. Sounds like somebody is just trying to sell me a new Lockpick!

Old 02-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Wizness
Senior User
Originally Posted by 720Deere
That is interesting. Coastaltech told me that my 2012 model lockpick will not operate a second camera along with my factory tailgate camera. Sounds like somebody is just trying to sell me a new Lockpick!

I just bought my lockpick about a month ago so I'm not sure. I know mine can support 3 cameras, however, like I said I have all aftermarket cameras. I'm not sure how it works with using your factory backup camera but I would assume you could add 2 extra cameras as well.

Quick Reply: Adding another camera for bed of truck?