1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tidbits 1956 - LS100 (53 F100)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 11:51 PM
tidbit
Junior User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Tidbits 1956 - LS100 (53 F100)

*DISCLAIMER* while this is a ford forum I know there will be a chance I will be flamed, while I'm ok with it and understand I will not win any awards with this project. I am looking at building the best driver I can. With the resources that are at my disposal. So enjoy!

Lets begin with the background.

I have a dad whom likes to borrow my Ford F350….. a lot.. So one day I got to thinking. "Maybe it's time for a shop truck. I don't need my big beast all the time, just something to throw the tools into and go".

Then a light bulb pops into my head! It would be better and WAY cooler to have an older truck with a decent body and rhino lined bed. Onward to the search! I toyed with Datsuns, Chevys, then finally with the 53-56 F100 body styles. Prices were still cheap on these rigs but the quest was finding one that was not rotten as I HATE RUST!

Few weeks on Craigslist and I came up with this, 1953 F100 - $3500 no title.

It came with a working engine (302) tranny! But the reason why I paid the premium is the bodywork already done to the truck. Blocked 3 times, each time using black as the paint to see high spots. All that needs to be done is, find a bed and BAM….. DONE!!..

Well thats simply not how I roll………………. :drive:

Old 02-03-2014, 11:53 PM
tidbit
Junior User
My inspiration (without the chop)

Off to the metal scrappers for me! I have no need for this junk.

The bed and junk parts are separated front the frame. I finally finished a parts log and know what I need to order. Whats that in the background?

TCI front end rolling frame w/ bed? $1200 check! Btw that's primer not rust.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:54 PM
tidbit
Junior User
Onto the next chapter.. My buddy, whom has cost me THOUSANDS with his little shoulder devil ideas. Will tune you all in shortly!

tidbit
Junior User
$900 title and it came with a car!!

tidbit
Junior User
So this is when the buddies idea gets you thinking.... "You know that camaro out in the yard? Why not toss your 302 and run an LS in a Ford?"

Oh dear. Now that sounds like a great idea! Where is the Bobcat! :secret:

Motor out and being dropped off to get stripped. Turns out when we got into the motor is was in bad shape. Ran really hot the oil was cooked everywhere inside the motor. Thankfully my machinist is killer (head nod to Hutchinson Performance) and had me rebored to 3.905, new pistons, stock rods n crank in no time! (2 weeks to be exact)

Old 02-04-2014, 03:59 AM
dmack91
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite the collection you have going there. Should be an interesting project.

I always get nervous when I see "no title". How are you going to get the title from the last truck on the first truck body with the TCI equipped frame (2nd truck)?

Old 02-04-2014, 07:34 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Tid,
I'm assuming you are single as my wife would have me sleeping in the garage if I brought all that stuff home. So..... You're from Canada and there is no snow on the ground in those pics. Where are you at now? Have you settled on a plan for what parts to use from all your options. Putting the nice body on the TCI frame with the bed?

Looking good up there in Canada.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 AM
tidbit
Junior User
I'm from canada... Wha?.... I'm from oregon (all fixed now) you guys are correct. No wife n kids.. Good job, but takes most of my time so i have little left for projects ;(

In regards to the title. I have a vin plate n title from the yellow car. Slap it on the black body and the tci frame. Finished! I have also put a mechanics lean on the original frame. In a few months that should be squared away and there will be an extra title. I still have the orig 302 and trans that I will use for the beater yellow truck and give to my father.

Maybe he won't use my f350 that often then

Old 02-04-2014, 08:42 AM
tidbit
Junior User
Well the motor was a little cooked but thankfully with a good machinist anything is possible. Just look how cooked the motor was… she ran a little hot.

But a little time in the tank and she is brite and new!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:43 AM
tidbit
Junior User
Test fitted. Need to drop down an inch and back 1/4. Could leave it all as is but it would bug me to no end every time I look into the engine bay.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:44 AM
tidbit
Junior User
Some parts came in..

Old 02-04-2014, 08:44 AM
tidbit
Junior User
a little progress.. I do not have much time (one day a week). I noticed that I did not like the way the motor and trans sat in the frame. So I did the one thing I HATE doing…

doing the same thing twice.

motor comes out

didn't like my welds that much anyways!

BYE BYE!

mated the TR6060 I had laying around. Turns out it's not worth the effort finding a T56. Oh well guess this tranny will work here.

love this shot!

All in! I am going to wait this time in putting the mounts on. There are some unknown factors that need to be bolted onto my motor. Namely the turbo and Serp kit. I want to make sure I have enough clearance before I move forward with a fixed mount. Right now she will sit on blocks till Sunday!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Fifty6F250
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy freakin franken-spiration! I really like what you're doing here, interested to see how everything plays out!! Thanks for the pics/description as you're going

Old 02-04-2014, 08:52 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,116 Likes on 2,648 Posts
If I were closer I'd be happy to take you junk parts. Looks like you have a very nice build happening, looking forward to seeing it complete as I'm sure you are.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:16 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,422 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Originally Posted by tidbit

In regards to the title. I have a vin plate n title from the yellow car. Slap it on the black body and the tci frame. Finished! I have also put a mechanics lean on the original frame. In a few months that should be squared away and there will be an extra title. I still have the orig 302 and trans that I will use for the beater yellow truck and give to my father.
There's one major flaw with your title plans. Titles follow the frame and match the one legal, stamped number on that frame. They don't go with body panels. A TCI chassis will come with a certificate of origin, which in conjunction with the title the truck parts are being transferred from, needs to be inspected by the state and numbered accordingly. Anything different means you have an assembled vehicle and will be registered as such, but receipts for the parts acquired and used must still be provided. There is no extra title. To swap "vin plates" from vehicle to vehicle in an effort to circumvent the rules brings up a couple of problems. Number 1; you now have mis-matched vin numbers on both trucks with regards to the paperwork. The titles don't match the frame numbers. There's no proof of legal ownership on anything you have. Number 2; it's against federal law. People have gone to jail for a long time for doing so. It's serious business and the FBI will get involved. I would advise you to rethink this before going too far.

Quick Reply: Tidbits 1956 - LS100 (53 F100)