1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48-50 truck project. Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 AM
Mikey's250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48-50 truck project. Where to start?

Hey folks this is my first thread on here and my first project vehicle and I'm looking for info and advise. A little about me, my currently truck is an 02 f250 7.3l with a few performance mods, I'm 24 and graduated last year with a mechanical engineering degree but am currently working as a conductor for the railroad. I do all my own mechanic work and have done a couple project boats for fun. I wanted to start a project car, something like a 69 mustang or camaro but who hasn't done that and I'm a Ford truck guy not a car guy.
So here's what's running through my head. A 48-50 ( I'm pretty set on that bodystyle) f4-f6 dually with either a powerstroke or a cummins in it, a small lift and 19.5 or 22.5 wheels.
This is where I need the info, can one of these old frames and suspension handle the weight and torque of a newer Diesel engine? I'm thinking no and the easiest, safest route will be to get a rolling chassis from a newer f350/3500 and put the old cab on it. But then I need to know demensions of the old truck to know if its even close to a newer frame.
If I go that route I need to know if the cabs are the same from f1-f6 or 7?

Let me know what you think and any advise is appreciated. I'm open to all ideas but its getting a Diesel engine one way or another.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:26 PM
rswhitmore
Senior User
The modern chassis you mentioned are much too wide for the 48-50 cab. You will end up with the steering wheel against the drivers door if you want to use the new chassis' steering bofound this out the hard way). A ford ranger or explorier frame is about right for the cab. but not strong enough for your engine. The f1 through f6 cabs are the same except for differences in the transmission covers. Front fenders have larger wheel openings on the bigger trucks, but the fenders will fit on an f1. As far as frames go, I believe the f6 frame is plenty tough enough for the diesel. I had an f6 and the frames are heavy. Not sure about the f4, but I suspect it may also be strong enough. Hope this helps.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:27 PM
Ken's 39er
Junior User
Hi Mikey, I also am new here and glad that you have joined. My 49 F1 is a complete rebuild but a friend that I met is doing what you are planning. He has a 2010 standard cab F150 with a totaled body and two 1949 F1's for donor parts. He plans on having all 2010 running gear and interior with a 49 F1 exterior. He has lots of hand tools, Tig & Mig welding machines and made an English wheel plus the knowledge on how to use them. Here is what he figured it will take to make the two trucks fit together. Make a new hood, split cab front to back making it 7" wider at firewall and 9"wider at back, split cab side to side adding 8" length, split rear fender and make longer. He bought a 194? Plymouth roof which has a similar contour as the F1 only bigger to accommodate the length and width expansions. The door skins from the same Plymouth have a very similar contour and will work to extend the F1 doors. Of course there is a lot more to make his project all come together over a time frame of several years.
Ken

Old 01-31-2014, 07:37 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken's 39er
Hi Mikey, I also am new here and glad that you have joined. My 49 F1 is a complete rebuild but a friend that I met is doing what you are planning. He has a 2010 standard cab F150 with a totaled body and two 1949 F1's for donor parts. He plans on having all 2010 running gear and interior with a 49 F1 exterior. He has lots of hand tools, Tig & Mig welding machines and made an English wheel plus the knowledge on how to use them. Here is what he figured it will take to make the two trucks fit together. Make a new hood, split cab front to back making it 7" wider at firewall and 9"wider at back, split cab side to side adding 8" length, split rear fender and make longer. He bought a 194? Plymouth roof which has a similar contour as the F1 only bigger to accommodate the length and width expansions. The door skins from the same Plymouth have a very similar contour and will work to extend the F1 doors. Of course there is a lot more to make his project all come together over a time frame of several years.
Ken
Wow. That is an incredibly ambitious and technically difficult project. Has your buddy started this work, Ken?

Old 01-31-2014, 07:45 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ken 39er, that friend of yours must be very talented! I would love to see his progress on this project. Maybe you could talk him into joining and posting pics along the way...
We would all love to see this build.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:12 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
X2 on that ^^^^^^^

Old 02-01-2014, 10:21 PM
Mikey's250
New User
Thanks for the info so far guys. I hadn't been around one of these trucks in person in about 15 years so its been hard for me to visualize the size of the old vs new trucks. We used to have an 54 f100 and when I was 10 it seemed just as big as any other trucker had. I would love to have kens buddy's sheet metal skills and do it that way but I may have to do some more thinking. I'm about to look at the frame demensions on one of those Isuzu flat bed/ box trucks, they look a little skinnier and they offer a small diesel in some so maybe that's an option. Like I said just trying to brainstorm with some guys that have been there done that.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:03 AM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
I cut up an F5 chassis recently, man they are strong, I reckon it will handle your engine no dramas, they are double skinned.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Mikey's250
New User
Anybody know the width of the front axles and the front fenders on one of these trucks?

Old 02-04-2014, 11:14 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey's250
Hey folks this is my first thread on here and my first project vehicle and I'm looking for info and advise. A little about me, my currently truck is an 02 f250 7.3l with a few performance mods, I'm 24 and graduated last year with a mechanical engineering degree but am currently working as a conductor for the railroad. I do all my own mechanic work and have done a couple project boats for fun. I wanted to start a project car, something like a 69 mustang or camaro but who hasn't done that and I'm a Ford truck guy not a car guy.
So here's what's running through my head. A 48-50 ( I'm pretty set on that bodystyle) f4-f6 dually with either a powerstroke or a cummins in it, a small lift and 19.5 or 22.5 wheels.
This is where I need the info, can one of these old frames and suspension handle the weight and torque of a newer Diesel engine? I'm thinking no and the easiest, safest route will be to get a rolling chassis from a newer f350/3500 and put the old cab on it. But then I need to know demensions of the old truck to know if its even close to a newer frame.
If I go that route I need to know if the cabs are the same from f1-f6 or 7?

Let me know what you think and any advise is appreciated. I'm open to all ideas but its getting a Diesel engine one way or another.
Welcome to FTE Mikey. I the cabs F1 - F7 are the same.

As for your frame choice it all depends upon what you plan to do with the truck. Also which transmission do you plan to use? An automatic will buffer driveline shock loads while a manual trans will not. And which engine are you going to use? The old frames are pretty tough and if your true engine output is not over 300HP/300FT-LB torque, you use an auto trans and are not going to tow loads over 5,000 lb the standard frame on an F1 - F3 should work fine. Anything over that you should box the frame all the way back past the rear of the cab and replace the front 3 cross members. There are lots of pictures and examples of guys that have done a great job of that on here on FTE in this forum.

Replacing the frame with a newer model brings up a whole new set of issues. In the end it is much more difficult and many who try this never finish. There are so many good aftermarket parts for these trucks out there it is better to just modify what you have. IMHO you will be much more satisfied with the end result.

Good luck! Let us see how you progress.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:20 PM
Mikey's250
New User
Originally Posted by petemcl
Welcome to FTE Mikey. I the cabs F1 - F7 are the same.

As for your frame choice it all depends upon what you plan to do with the truck. Also which transmission do you plan to use? An automatic will buffer driveline shock loads while a manual trans will not. And which engine are you going to use? The old frames are pretty tough and if your true engine output is not over 300HP/300FT-LB torque, you use an auto trans and are not going to tow loads over 5,000 lb the standard frame on an F1 - F3 should work fine. Anything over that you should box the frame all the way back past the rear of the cab and replace the front 3 cross members. There are lots of pictures and examples of guys that have done a great job of that on here on FTE in this forum.

Replacing the frame with a newer model brings up a whole new set of issues. In the end it is much more difficult and many who try this never finish. There are so many good aftermarket parts for these trucks out there it is better to just modify what you have. IMHO you will be much more satisfied with the end result.

Good luck! Let us see how you progress.
Thanks man. This truck will mostly just be a cruising truck. Won't be hauling with it, I use my current truck for that. But I was really wanting to put a manual trans in it just because I can just see myself running through the gears cruising in this thing but thats not a must. I'm big into diesel performance so the engine output will definitely be over 300/300.

If any of y'all see a 48-50 f1-f7 for sale please let me know. I'm trying to find one and have found a few but they are all way up north or way out west. So any in the southeast US would be awesome.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Mikey's250
New User
Also any good sites to keep up with that turns alot of old trucks?

Old 02-05-2014, 12:16 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey's250
Also any good sites to keep up with that turns alot of old trucks?
I would watch eBay. You can add a saved search that will send you an email when something comes up.