1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Tux: 428 + Tremec TKO600 = :D

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:54 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tux: 428 + Tremec TKO600 = :D

Hey guys, I finally completed my new Tremec trans setup and thought I'd share some pics:

Requirements were: Had to work with bench seat, hold up to 500hp, and lube up before bending me over, haha. Every penny was worth it, to me.

- Tremec TKO600
- 26 spline dual friction clutch
- Tubular crossmember
- Hurst shifter
- New driveshaft

Thanks to Bruce at MDL for the help.

I'll try to get some burnout vids when this snow melts!

Old 02-03-2014, 10:04 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Tux got a nice stance!

...I'm right behind ya!!! My combo is a 360FE - Edelbrock E-Street EFI - TKO-500.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:19 AM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
HIO, sweet!!!!! Modern stuff for our trucks is awesome, especially when it bolts right up to the factory bellhousing!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:06 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Very nice!!!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:32 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ceetwarrior
HIO, sweet!!!!! Modern stuff for our trucks is awesome, especially when it bolts right up to the factory bellhousing!
10-4 !! You got that right... A mix of old and new. The bellhousing was an iffy proposition and I was ready to plunk down more script for a QT bell until Paul Coffey at Modern Driveline talked me through it. I met up with Bruce (Couture, the owner) at a GoodGuys show and personally thanked him for Paul's excellent handling of my order. Then he reached under his desk and gave me a bonafide "MDL" ballcap.

Btw, don't ya go burning the hides just yet... MDL and Tremec recommend logging at least 500 miles of rowing through the gears (not freeway flying) before stomping on the go-pedal.

Say, I've got my shifter in the rear position and using a Hurst "candy cane" cuz I'm a 5-foot, 4-inch runt (plus going with bucket seeats). It looks like your shifter is modded/twisted at the base towards ya. Was that a DIY job or what?

Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm that Red cable coming off the batt. going to your solenoid looks odd beings that you also have it together with the starter cable
orich

Old 02-05-2014, 01:37 AM
Mike2theMax
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orich

Hmm that Red cable coming off the batt. going to your solenoid looks odd beings that you also have it together with the starter cable
orich
Modern starter with the solenoid on it? That's what I'm running on my '70 Stang. Real easy upgrade for SB.

If that is an upgraded starter I'm curious what? (Sorry to change the subject)

Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 AM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
..Btw, don't ya go burning the hides just yet... MDL and Tremec recommend logging at least 500 miles of rowing through the gears (not freeway flying) before stomping on the go-pedal.

Say, I've got my shifter in the rear position and using a Hurst "candy cane" cuz I'm a 5-foot, 4-inch runt (plus going with bucket seats). It looks like your shifter is modded/twisted at the base towards ya. Was that a DIY job or what?
This ain't my first rodeo, Powershifting is what hurts a trans. (which I don't do) So during the "500" mile break in I'm more worried about my clutch break-in. The new clutch says to drive it exactly how you normally would to break it in. It also says if it slips do not let off the gas! Which is backwards of any other clutch I've ever had. So, pedal to the metal it goes! I've got about 40 miles on it so far. The best clutch I've ever had, so far!

Good eye on the shifter. Yes, me and my pops tweaked the shifter to fit the truck. Hurst doesn't make anything close to what's needed for this application.

Originally Posted by orich
orich
Yup, as Mike mentioned, I installed a CVR mini starter which has the noid down low.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Very cool upgrade Ceet.

Didn't know they are starting to make input shafts to actually fit the old stuff(like an FE). For so long you had to buy a new blowproof to make it fit. Though, I would seriously look at finding an old blowproof and installing it. If you start spinning that diaphram clutch to 6000 rpm, I'm telling you that your feet will thank you the day something DOES go bad. Being used to being around lots of stick cars, I've seen the carnage from clutches that come through the floor. All three of my hot rods have blowproofs. Doesn't have to be an SFI model, just something someone is getting rid of cheap.

Good work on the shifter. Looks like it is suppose to be there. I actually have a Chyrsler pistol grip in my bump, but with bucket seats it clears even being mounted back on the tail of a toploader. Very comfortable to drive.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:42 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Freightrain
Very cool upgrade Ceet.

Didn't know they are starting to make input shafts to actually fit the old stuff(like an FE). For so long you had to buy a new blowproof to make it fit. Though, I would seriously look at finding an old blowproof and installing it. If you start spinning that diaphram clutch to 6000 rpm, I'm telling you that your feet will thank you the day something DOES go bad. Being used to being around lots of stick cars, I've seen the carnage from clutches that come through the floor. All three of my hot rods have blowproofs. Doesn't have to be an SFI model, just something someone is getting rid of cheap.

Good work on the shifter. Looks like it is suppose to be there. I actually have a Chyrsler pistol grip in my bump, but with bucket seats it clears even being mounted back on the tail of a toploader. Very comfortable to drive.
FT! Long time no talk buddy! You inspired me to do transmission swaps when I was 17 and signed up on this forum. Almost 11 years ago! Your crappy VHS quality old drag video with your toploader shorty was very inspiring, for me. I hope to never be too old to not shift my own gears! That's why I didn't blink when dropping some dough on exactly what I want.

I looked into better bells but it was just out of the price range. Hell when it was all said and done I just spent $4500 on this round of mods and feel amazing for being able to pay hard earned cash saved up cash for it. I don't rev my old FE over 5k, anyhow. If I want 6,000RPM that's what I have my SVT Cobra for. (Roller 5.0L with centrifugal blower They're MUCH cheaper to go fast in, hehe.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:04 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I see you been keeping yourself busy with upgrades! 11 yrs? has it been that long? (well duh look at my sign on date Jan 2003) You know that makes me older and older and older........
That video is from 1992!!! Glad it inspired you.

Keep your eye out at the swap meets for a used bell. Of course you might have to deal with it being really whacked out and beat up? Then that is a whole other issue. I know there are plenty of people out there running stuff hard without blowproofs. I just cringe anymore(getting older makes you wiser).

Keep it safe and have fun. Truck is looking GOOD!

Some day mine will get some loving put to it. Til then.......

Old 02-08-2014, 04:58 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
always had a thing for this truck.... just the name almost sets me off knowing lying under the hood is a 428 and now that new trans is better than knowing your wife just bought some sexy lingerie and only you get to see it......

Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 AM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Freight: Thank you. I will keep my eye out for one for the future, for sure. The truck is only going to get faster the longer I have it so I'll need it at some point, heh.

smoken: LOL, hell yeah.... And more importantly knowing it doesn't wheel hop any more! I'm still dialing in the rear end. I put a cal-tracks setup on a while back and it works awesome! Can't wait to get some burnouts goin soon haha.