1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

& the list gets longer : )

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:39 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by bra$$monkey
I've got rack & pinion power steering.

The seat is too far forward & the seat back sits up too straight for my comfort.

If I get a low back seat I can get a couple inches further back or I can tilt the seat back at a more comfortable angle.

The flat wheel could help some, but since I need to build a frame anyway.....might as well do what I want while I'm in there
OK this is gruesome but you should know that when USDOT crash standards started to be applied to pickups in the late 1980s it was discovered during crash tests that low back seats allowed, when the truck was struck from the rear at relatively low speed, the driver and passenger crash dummy heads to snap back through the rear window then damaging or severing the spinal cord on the metal opening. Short term you might want to put a heavy wire screen over the rear window if you have low back seats.

That is why all pickups built since then have high back seats and extra space behind the seat back (larger cabs).

I have a pair of 1966 leather T-bird seats that I plan to use. As I have a 1950 with the smaller rear window I will put a matching pad on the back of the cab at head level too.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:37 AM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I owned my harley no one saw me & I was constantly trying to avoid getting hit. CONSTANTLY.

On the other hand EVERYONE sees this truck! That won't prevent an accident. But I feel much safer in my truck than I did on my bike.

I like your idea of a brace or rack of some kind behind the low back seats.

On another note....my linear actuator & mounts are in the mail & should be home pretty quick.

Depending on how many other things I have going on I could get started soon on the automatic tilt nose

Old 02-07-2014, 11:22 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I've mentioned it before but to repeat For bucket seats that give the most room possible, are comfortable, good lumbar padding, hold you firmly, are fairly plentiful and inexpensive, try a set from a Mazda Miata. They use a formed metal shell like a bomber seat rather than a tubular frame with molded engineered foam padding instead of springs. From 90 -99 they used a low back design, Beginning in 2000, they went to government mandated integral raised backs/headrest. They can be found with a dark grey cloth or a black or tan leather upholstery (hint: the cloth upholstery is thinner) The back angle is adjustable and the backs fold forwards as well. The Miata is very popular for use in racing, so they pull the OEM seats out.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:56 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by bra$$monkey
I like your idea of a brace or rack of some kind behind the low back seats.

On another note....my linear actuator & mounts are in the mail & should be home pretty quick.
I assume that you mean seatbelt linear actuators? Or do i misunderstand?

If they are seat belts linear actuators they normally only protect impact from the front and not much from the rear.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:01 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by AXracer
I've mentioned it before but to repeat For bucket seats that give the most room possible, are comfortable, good lumbar padding, hold you firmly, are fairly plentiful and inexpensive, try a set from a Mazda Miata. They use a formed metal shell like a bomber seat rather than a tubular frame with molded engineered foam padding instead of springs. From 90 -99 they used a low back design, Beginning in 2000, they went to government mandated integral raised backs/headrest. They can be found with a dark grey cloth or a black or tan leather upholstery (hint: the cloth upholstery is thinner) The back angle is adjustable and the backs fold forwards as well. The Miata is very popular for use in racing, so they pull the OEM seats out.
Good idea, AX. I like the formed metal shell . . . but the Miata seats don't fit me.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 PM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
Originally Posted by petemcl
I assume that you mean seatbelt linear actuators? Or do i misunderstand?

If they are seat belts linear actuators they normally only protect impact from the front and not much from the rear.
No - the linear actuator is to raise & lower the tilt nose on my truck.

I have the controller & just received the actuator & brackets today! Can't wait!

Old 02-07-2014, 08:40 PM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
try a set from a Mazda Miata. They use a formed metal shell like a bomber seat rather than a tubular frame with molded engineered foam padding instead of springs. From 90 -99 they used a[BOLD] low back design[/BOLD], Beginning in 2000, they went to government mandated integral raised backs/headrest.
All the Miata seats I've seen online are not low back design - they all seem to have the head rest integrated into the seat.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:10 AM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
The PO had a bench seat the was pretty big. When I got the truck I had to move the mounts back to get a couple of inches more leg room.

Name:  P1140676.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  217.5 KB

I ended up taking out the bench and added buckets from a 2006 VW Jetta. The overall seat is smaller and I have much more leg room. (The console is not really installed yet - its from a 2007 Ford Edge). I also shortened the column drop by 1" to move the steering wheel up.

Name:  DSC00833 copy.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  149.8 KB

Old 02-08-2014, 12:46 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by petemcl
Good idea, AX. I like the formed metal shell . . . but the Miata seats don't fit me.
Really? I'm 6'2" 270# and they fit me really well. (I comfortably drove my 99 for 8-10 hours at a stretch.) Maybe it's because you are not used to seats you sit IN not ON? It is a different feeling. They are supposed to cradle you and hold you snug, not like sitting on a folding chair or living room sofa. I have a good friend who is 6'10", 250# that drives a Miata. He did remove the adjusters and bolted the seat to the floor to clear the roof tho.
Drive a Miata for an hour or so and you'll learn to appreciate the seats.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:02 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
My bad! Yes the Miata seats all have built in headrests, but they are small and inconspicuous. Note how thin the seat backs are:

Old 02-08-2014, 12:12 PM
bra$$monkey
Senior User
Smallelo.... how low are those seats? I'm not sure I want to sit that low. Is it hard to see?

I love the idea of jetta seats though. Now I'm on the hunt!

Old 02-08-2014, 10:12 PM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
They really don't sit low at all. I made mounts out of angle iron for them which raised them about 4". The driver's seat is power and can be adjusted up and down. The passenger seat is also adjustable but is manual.