1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

NEED(want) MORE POWER!! Next level budget power thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 12:47 PM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED(want) MORE POWER!! Next level budget power thread

So, I have come to the realization that my 2001 4x4 econoline with no chip/tuner can wax the behind of my 1997 F350 in the power department. I have a strict budget of $1500 and I am hard pressed to find power for that price.. bigger injectors will require so many supporting mods that they are out of the question budget wise(at least I think they are). So my purpose of the thread is to give myself and others on a budget power quest some ideas/direction. Of course it would be nice to wax a 6.0 from light to light but I didn't buy my 7.3 for speed... I just have grown to want speed

lets set the budget at $1500-2000(max) and this must cover all necessary supporting mods

AND, lets assume that the truck already has intake, DP, exhaust, gauges... as many do including mine.

Thanks! Let the advice roll!

Old 01-31-2014, 01:04 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You can get stage 1's and a T500 for 2k. Or you can find a SD 17 if you want to save some money. Is this truck an auto or 5spd?

Old 01-31-2014, 01:30 PM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
Originally Posted by tshrager
You can get stage 1's and a T500 for 2k. Or you can find a SD 17 if you want to save some money. Is this truck an auto or 5spd?
Auto, rebuilt with better clutches - about 30k miles on it

Old 01-31-2014, 01:55 PM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
How much injector do you think can be run on a stock fuel setup with a 17* HPOP?

Old 01-31-2014, 02:08 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Johnson
How much injector do you think can be run on a stock fuel setup with a 17* HPOP?
Stage 1's.

If it were me, I'd send the injectors to Jim and do a budget build set of stage 1s. If the injectors have lowish miles, run good, and have been well maintained then you should be able to get by with the stock P&B assemblies in your injectors. If he gets in there and it needs new P&B assemblies it will cost you another $350 and if they need new nozzles it will cost you another $400ish. Have $1300 in your pocket when you send the injectors out. If he can use the stock nozzles and P&Bs you'll get off nice and cheap.

Depending on what the injectors need is how I would decide what to do next. If the injectors don't need much, you'll be able to afford a T500 and a chip. If they need a total overhaul, just get a chip and roll with the stock HPOP until you can afford a T500.

That is if you think your trans can handle 300-350hp... If not, I'd get a chip and dump whatever else you could into the trans.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:10 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Dr. Johnson
I'm pushing my 180/80's with the SD 17. It drops a little pressure when you're really pushing it, but not noticeable. Since I don't have a turbo that can handle the fuel, they're not being used to their full potential anyway.

I wouldn't go above a stage 1 without e fuel. A DIY e fuel can be done around $350.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:11 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
From what I understand at this level....Terminator Engineering is the way to go.....regardless of the Injector flow...he can accomodate you ...within reason.....You send him your pump OR one like it and he sends it back to you...No interchange bullchit...just take it out .....and put it in.....No head trips....

Old 01-31-2014, 02:15 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
I'm pushing my 180/80's with the SD 17. It drops a little pressure when you're really pushing it, but not noticeable. Since I don't have a turbo that can handle the fuel, they're not being used to their full potential anyway.

I wouldn't go above a stage 1 without e fuel. A DIY e fuel can be done around $350.
You can run stage 2's with a stock fuel system. Cody's been doing it for years..... I hate the stock fuel system, so I won't keep one around that long, but you can keep the stock fuel system if you want to.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:22 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
You can run stage 2's with a stock fuel system. Cody's been doing it for years..... I hate the stock fuel system, so I won't keep one around that long, but you can keep the stock fuel system if you want to.
I ran mine on stock fuel for a while as well. I know some guys get itchy about it though. I just hate that damn fuel bowl!

Old 01-31-2014, 02:29 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Tatsch....you hate the stock system because it is a PITA to fix..I know I have done it a few times ....and MAYBE the next time I will FREAK out and do it ...( I really like your 1994 by the way ) I seen it on other sites....But when mine flipped out the first time .....I replaced EVERYTHING.... changed filterbowls 3 times ..etc.etc.etc. on a VAN...not fun....BUT ...after I did that no more BS....Regular Service....No problems solid 65 psi ...all day ...even when it is cold....Like it is here ....But I feel you ....And I will have Stage 1's soon....

Old 01-31-2014, 02:33 PM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
I'm not a fan of the way the stock system is engineered, I've become all too familiar with it because of leaks in the past.. that said its never stranded me and this truck gets used a lot and is in remote locations a lot so i am a bit apprehensive about really customizing it to the point where I create reliability issues or make so many custom parts that it can't be fixed in the middle of nowhere.. perhaps some of my concerns are a bit paranoid, but I've been stranded with a super custom rig before and it wasn't a lot of fun.

As for injector health.. part of my recently peaked interest in injectors is that when i cold start it (15-35*F) it smokes fairly good on warm-up and can run a LITTLE choppy for a few minutes before it smooths out.. I have also noticed that my injectors are WAY louder(warm or cold) than my two buddies OBS trucks, both of theirs have 200K + on them and mine has 130K I'm not sure if louder is good or bad? Mine definitely has more power than either of their trucks though.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:36 PM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
Originally Posted by blageurt
Tatsch....you hate the stock system because it is a PITA to fix..I know I have done it a few times ....and MAYBE the next time I will FREAK out and do it ...( I really like your 1994 by the way ) I seen it on other sites....But when mine flipped out the first time .....I replaced EVERYTHING.... changed filterbowls 3 times ..etc.etc.etc. on a VAN...not fun....BUT ...after I did that no more BS....Regular Service....No problems solid 65 psi ...all day ...even when it is cold....Like it is here ....But I feel you ....And I will have Stage 1's soon....
Hey, I havent forgot about the intake on the van either.. still haven't had time to iron out a solid plan. But I swear I will, and you will know when I do...

ok, back to injector hour

Old 01-31-2014, 02:49 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
If your injectors only have 130k on them, they should be in fine shape unless it's had water run through the fuel system a bit and/or had terrible oil in it. Anyways, you'll be fine with the stock fuel system and stage 1 or 2s. Just know that towing with stage 2s and a stock turbo does pretty well suck unless the tuning is pulled WAY back.. Hell even stage 1's with the stock turbo sucks when towing, but you can at least flip to a stock tune and it will run like a stock truck at that point.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:09 PM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
If your injectors only have 130k on them, they should be in fine shape unless it's had water run through the fuel system a bit and/or had terrible oil in it. Anyways, you'll be fine with the stock fuel system and stage 1 or 2s. Just know that towing with stage 2s and a stock turbo does pretty well suck unless the tuning is pulled WAY back.. Hell even stage 1's with the stock turbo sucks when towing, but you can at least flip to a stock tune and it will run like a stock truck at that point.
Previous to me, the truck's fuel system was not serviced correctly at all. the filter that I pulled out was ratty and I had to pull the bowl and clean out about an inch of what looked like sand in the bottom of the bowl. As for the turbo sucking, is it just that the turbo cannot handle the Fuel? I tow a lot so that would be a problem

Old 01-31-2014, 03:11 PM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
Looking at Rosewood's prices I don't see why I wouldn't just go with stage 2's for the money... but then there's the HPOP and whatever else may be necessary

Quick Reply: NEED(want) MORE POWER!! Next level budget power thread