Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Change crank pulley or blower pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 12:26 AM
Shift1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Change crank pulley or blower pulley?

Would it be better to put on a bigger crank pulley or a smaller blower pulley? I am guessing that just like anything else, it would be more efficient to stay as big as possible on both pulleys. When adding 6-8 lbs of boost, taking it up to 12-14 lbs on my HD, do you really NEED a bigger throttle body or is it just better to have one? Are there any other drawbacks to having double the boost on this truck? I know the blower can take it no problem because I used to have a XR-7 Couger that ran 17-20 lbs. Any other mods required by bigger boost on this truck? Where did you guys plumb in the sender for a boost gauge?

Also, are there any cold air intakes that do not require any drilling whatsoever to the inner fender, etc?

Old 06-28-2003, 01:41 AM
speeder1
New User

You can`t compare an XR-7 couger engine to a Lightning engine, there two completely different engines, a stock Lightning engine can only handle about 15 lbs of boost (6 lbs over stock), the weak part of a Lightning engine is the stock rods, on your HD engine they (Ford) used a bigger pulley on the blower so your truck makes less boost, you can change it to one like the Lightnings have but it would be easier to change the crank pulley, if your truck is mostly stock, the stock throttle body will work just fine, if you have a lot of mods on your truck then a throttle body is worth it, you won`t gain much power but your throttle response will be greatly improved, to hook up your boost gauge, look under the dash above the gas peddle, you will see the vacuum line comming through the fire wall for the stock gauge, hook your new gauge up to that line, also if you change pulleys make sure you get a chip that tuned for the pulley you use. for a good cold air kit, call JDM or PSP, they both make good cold air kits.

Larry.

Old 06-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Shift1
Freshman User

Thanks for the info. My HD doesn't have a stock boost gauge. Is there a vacumn line under the dash anyway and where would it come from on the intake? I want just the cold air intake setup and the most boost I can safely run without having to do too many other mods (mass air, programmer, etc). From the stock 7 lbs, +4 or +6 lbs is the question. The truck will be stock other than these mods.

Old 06-29-2003, 10:10 PM
speeder1
New User

I didn`t know that the HD doesn`t have a boost gauge, in that case im not sure were to hook it up, the best thing to do is call a tuner, (PSP, JDM) they can tell you were to hook it up. as a general rule, you can safely run 2 pounds of boost over stock, annything more than that with out a chip, your taking a chance of getting detonation, there are people running 4-6 pound pulleys
(over stock) with out a chip but there taking a big chance.

Larry.