1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Fuel Tank sending unit grief

Old 02-01-2014, 03:45 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Tank sending unit grief

So the sending unit only sends what it wants to when it wants to. Some time it's in a good mood and will show a full tank when it is full, but many times it sits at 1/3 full. So I'm getting ready to remove it. Can I clean the rheostat and hope for the best or am I going to open a can of worms. The fuel gauge works fine when I ground the wire to the fuel tank.

Whats the best sealant to use if any. I have some black, gray and orange RTV and Aviation type sealant on hand.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:14 PM
cyclone-429
Senior User
You will probably need to replace the sender. Mine came with a rubber gasket that did not seal real well, so I used black silicone & new screws.

When I started restoring mine, the tank was beyond repair & the sender was rusted solid, so I replaced them both from LMC. Now its only good for a 5 gallon reading. With 3 gallons in the tank, its on empty. Add 5 more, & its full. From there, I can add about 8 more gallons.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:31 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cyclone-429
You will probably need to replace the sender. Mine came with a rubber gasket that did not seal real well, so I used black silicone & new screws.

When I started restoring mine, the tank was beyond repair & the sender was rusted solid, so I replaced them both from LMC. Now its only good for a 5 gallon reading. With 3 gallons in the tank, its on empty. Add 5 more, & its full. From there, I can add about 8 more gallons.
My tank is doing great so far just a wee bit of rust showing up in the fuel pump bowl. This truck sat for at least 15 years with the tank empty. Luckily the gas cap was on the whole time.

Based on your experience, I'm glad I asked for feedback on this. I think I'll leave it alone and maybe add a bottle of Tectron injector cleaner and or some MMO.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 580 Likes on 520 Posts
I made a cork gasket for mine and no problems except the new sender is about as unreliable as your. Maybe they are related.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:30 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
The thought of an o-ring crossed my mind, anyone tried their luck with one of these?

1957 1960 Ford Pickup Truck Gas Tank Sending Unit New | eBay

Old 02-01-2014, 06:45 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
You guys' comments about the senders is why I scour eBay looking for NOS spares. At best, the Chinese "new" parts sold by the mass market catalog vendors are a crapshoot. I"ll gladly pay a premium to avoid headaches.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Only comment I have is that these old trucks need good grounds, so make sure you don't have a ground connection that is corroded.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:58 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Thanks for your feedback fellas, it ended up being a crack in the float. Shook the gas out of the float, cleaned the crack, soldered it. Working now and hopefully for another 55 years.

I replaced the ground wire and the screws, gasket was in good shape. At this point every single thing on the truck works!!

Defroster nozzles, shocks, windshield and door seals are leaking, horns need some lovin, and the spare tire underneath probably should be replaced among many other things that need attention but as of now it's really a daily driver.

It's been one year, four months on about $100 per month (except tires) budget. since I started wrenching on this truck, little by little.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...st-bucket.html

Old 02-03-2014, 05:36 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by chetspencer
Thanks for your feedback fellas, it ended up being a crack in the float. Shook the gas out of the float, cleaned the crack, soldered it. Working now and hopefully for another 55 years.

I replaced the ground wire and the screws, gasket was in good shape. At this point every single thing on the truck works!!

Defroster nozzles, shocks, windshield and door seals are leaking, horns need some lovin, and the spare tire underneath probably should be replaced among many other things that need attention but as of now it's really a daily driver.

It's been one year, four months on about $100 per month (except tires) budget. since I started wrenching on this truck, little by little.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...st-bucket.html
That's gotta feel good. I looked at your starting pics again. I think that is the only truck I have seen with the front grill guard with a chrome bumper. Kind of unique to me.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:45 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by spurredon
That's gotta feel good. I looked at your starting pics again. I think that is the only truck I have seen with the front grill guard with a chrome bumper. Kind of unique to me.
Thanks for the info about the guard! I also went back and read a few posts from the link and some of it's pretty damn funny to read now. Post #44 of that thread is stuck with me for life!.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12254499

Old 02-03-2014, 05:51 PM
cyclone-429
Senior User
I am also reading the thread....Haven't seen it before.

#44 struck a chord with me also... I actually printed it & Its on my wall.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:05 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
I am also reading the thread....Haven't seen it before.

#44 struck a chord with me also... I actually printed it & Its on my wall.
Enjoy that thread! And to think I though it was beyond saving.

Yes, he nailed it. I tell you, it's pure bliss driving this truck, even if the heater leaves a lot to be desired at 5:30 in morning on my way to work.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:07 PM
cyclone-429
Senior User
Heater? Consider yourself lucky you have one! Mine didn't get that option.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:16 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

You guys are killing me with my old truck being tucked away in the hay mow till after the snow and salt are gone and my muddy road flattens back out. Maybe in August sometime?!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:20 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Heater? Consider yourself lucky you have one! Mine didn't get that option.
Add that heater to your to do list.

Looks like your trucks been pretty well taken care of over the years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Tank sending unit grief