1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New guy with 56 F250

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:35 AM
Fifty6F250
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy with 56 F250

I've been trolling around this forum for a couple years now, drooling over pics and sponging up knowledge as often as possible. Last weekend I finally snagged my first project! I'll get some pics put up this weekend, but overall I'm pleased with it...cab corners are good, running boards are solid, floors are mostly intact, 272 with the 4SYN, all the glass (except back window) is shattered, but what really bugs me is the original owners chopped the last foot off the bed/rear fenders (yes fenders that are now abruptly stopped and flat) just to weld a make-shift trailer receiver to the frame

Overall, it's in pretty good condition, at least compared to others I've looked at! The original owners were missionaries and the husband got killed in Africa so when the wife returned she put the truck on blocks in her garage and painted the entire thing silver? (windows included) where it sat for about 20 years for her to use as storage. I bought it from the 2nd owner who got it cranked about 6 years ago where it's been sitting since under a carport.

Money is obviously a limiting factor so this will be very gradual, but I do intend to replace the distributor/rotor, wires, plugs, etc. and get it to crank at some point in the next month. Sorry for the long post just felt the need to share the back story, and yes, there WILL be pics!

Look forward to the knowledge/friendship

-Mike

Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome Mike! Glad to have you. Sometimes all we can do is shake our collective heads over the choices our PO made. So, is your plan to just get her back on the road as is?

DW

Old 01-31-2014, 10:02 AM
Fifty6F250
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Welcome Mike! Glad to have you. Sometimes all we can do is shake our collective heads over the choices our PO made. So, is your plan to just get her back on the road as is?

DW
I'm an impatient SOB so right now I intend on getting it running just for that reason and to cruise around, naturally. I do plan on fully restoring it, depending on how I'm feeling when I get it tore apart I might rebuild/pretty up the 272, or go with a crate, still split on the idea. Definitely going to upgrade to PS, discs all the way around, possibly IFS...so...many...ideas lol

Old 01-31-2014, 10:20 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
The plan to get running and enjoy driving the truck isn't available to all, unfortunately. Glad you'll be taking this path. A little time behind the wheel helps to prioritize - and to gather parts. I think you are wise with your approach.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:29 AM
Fifty6F250
Freshman User
The plan to get running and enjoy driving the truck isn't available to all, unfortunately. Glad you'll be taking this path. A little time behind the wheel helps to prioritize - and to gather parts. I think you are wise with your approach.
Thank you! That's what I was thinking too...just noticed you're from WI, whereabouts? I was born and raised in the northwoods, parents still live there actually, and went to college just north of Milwaukee

Old 01-31-2014, 11:37 AM
Cat906
Senior User
Welcome to FTE! You'll find that the guys on here are super knowledgeable and extremely willing to help- no question is off limits.

Congrats on your find and can't wait to see more pics!

So whereabouts are you? I lived in central WI for a while (before moving home to God's Country) and went to school at UWO.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:55 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Fifty6F250

Thank you! That's what I was thinking too...just noticed you're from WI, whereabouts? I was born and raised in the northwoods, parents still live there actually, and went to college just north of Milwaukee
I'm just north of Milwaukee. Whereabouts are your folks?

Old 01-31-2014, 11:55 AM
Fifty6F250
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Cat906
Welcome to FTE! You'll find that the guys on here are super knowledgeable and extremely willing to help- no question is off limits.

Congrats on your find and can't wait to see more pics!

So whereabouts are you? I lived in central WI for a while (before moving home to God's Country) and went to school at UWO.
I have a lot of friends who went to UWO, small world!...now I'm married with kids and living in the south lol. I own a home just east of Atlanta and am currently stationed at the ever so beautiful (not really) Fort Rucker, AL

Old 01-31-2014, 11:57 AM
dmack91
Elder User
Sounds like a good starting point. Just remember, just because you can get it to run doesn't mean it will stop. A quick check of the brakes is always a good idea before you have to find a large field to slow down in or something solid to hit.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:57 AM
Fifty6F250
Freshman User
I'm just north of Milwaukee. Whereabouts are your folks?
My folks live in a small town called wabeno...up towards the UP border. My brother had a place in Greenville but now lives in Watertown, my college was actually in Sheboygan, pretty much smack in the middle between GB and MKE

Old 01-31-2014, 12:00 PM
Fifty6F250
Freshman User
Originally Posted by dmack91
Sounds like a good starting point. Just remember, just because you can get it to run doesn't mean it will stop. A quick check of the brakes is always a good idea before you have to find a large field to slow down in or something solid to hit.
The brakes will be included in my "resto tune-up" lol planned on doing all the fluids as well...this is my first time attempting to crank something that's been sitting this long but I've gotten a ton of good advice like Marvel oil the night before, hand cranking prior, a whole mess of stuff really so I'll definitely keep everyone updated...thanks for the reply!

Old 01-31-2014, 12:08 PM
Cat906
Senior User
Wabeno's not too far from me. Went to the off-road races for the first time last fall. Dave's (I don't know if it's still called that) in Crandon was always a pit-stop for us driving between Central WI and the UP.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:59 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Were you a Muskie?

Old 01-31-2014, 01:28 PM
Fifty6F250
Freshman User
Were you a Muskie?
Yessir, I was indeed! Was recruited for football/wrestling!

Originally Posted by Cat906
Wabeno's not too far from me. Went to the off-road races for the first time last fall. Dave's (I don't know if it's still called that) in Crandon was always a pit-stop for us driving between Central WI and the UP.
Brush run was a staple to life in the northwoods lol we were able to meet people that were "civilized" =)...it's still called Dave's too btw!

Old 01-31-2014, 01:39 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could we see some pictures? Here is how.

But I got ta say becoming a supporter is the fastest and easiest way to post pics right from
your whatever pad/cell thing or home computer.
Few of us look in the users Gallery or album as you can see by your recent visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
The best photos and videos | Photobucket

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html Bob's link is not working. Can someone in the know tell me why?

How to upload pictures to the FTE Forums. - YouTube. Thanks Sam Rusty_Old_F250. Best we can find is that this video was done by Gundown64

Quick Reply: New guy with 56 F250