1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Stock Front end or IFS

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:34 PM
Izzie1701
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Front end or IFS

i am trying to keep my build as basic as possible and as budget friendly as possible. This is my first build and I have way more knowledge in engines then I do in suspensions. Here is my question. Will a rebuilt stock suspension handle a 302 with 380hp and 350ft.lbs of torque? Its not going to be an everyday driver but I will like to put 5000km or so on it a year. I don't need anything special and like the look of stock better but a buddy has me worried that it wont handle the power. What does everyone on here currently have and with how much power behind it.

Thank you,

Old 01-31-2014, 09:55 AM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
You should have plenty of reply's before long. The stock suspension that is good condition will work just fine. You need to make sure all bushings joints etc are in good shape. You should consider adding front disks with that much power. You should also consider upgraded steering, there should be someone stepping in with recommendations before long. As for me I'm installing comparable power to you and decided to go with IFS. I wanted to lower the truck some, truck will be a daily driver and I felt it was wort it to me to go to the extra expense. Good luck with your project.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:48 AM
Izzie1701
Freshman User
Sorry I should have mentioned that I would be going with a disk break conversion kit and probably getting the LMC front end lowering springs. I think they are supposed to lower it around 2-3". I live in Canada and we get ALOT of freeze thaw so our roads are TERRIBLE. Pot holes everywhere. If we drive anything thats closer then 3" to the ground we risk ripping the bottom of the truck off. I will also be ordering LMC's front end rebuild kit so all bushings, king pins, and joints will be replaced.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:53 AM
dmack91
Elder User
I did some of the mods you are considering, except the high HP engine.

I did the Speedway disc kit and it went in very easily. Remember you will have to replumb the brake system (new dual chamber MC for disc/drum, residual pressure valves possibly, rear proportioning valve). I redid all of my brake lines for safety too, as well as the rear brakes.

I redid all the front spring bushings and pins. Also did the kingpins (have to be pressed in and honed to fit). Spring pins and bushings were easy (yours should be installed already if getting new springs). The kingpins had to be done by a machine shop to ensure bushings are honed correctly (cost me $40).

I also did the Toyota power steering conversion. If you decide to do this, you can buy the entire kit, or piece it together. The kit is around $500 I believe. Definitely makes steering nice.

None of the projects were difficult, just mildly time consuming. The only things I had to have done were honing the kingpin bushings and making a pressure hose from the PS pump to the PS box.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:15 PM
rswhitmore
Senior User
With the right gearing your top end is going to be in the 140 MPH range. Do you really want to drive 100+ with stock 51 front suspension, even if it's new? I recommend going with an IFS unit. Mine is a TCI from Tim's Hot Rods, and really wasnt that expensive considering it included disc brakes and power rack and pinion steering.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:23 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,119 Likes on 2,649 Posts
Originally Posted by rswhitmore
With the right gearing your top end is going to be in the 140 MPH range. Do you really want to drive 100+ with stock 51 front suspension, even if it's new? I recommend going with an IFS unit. Mine is a TCI from Tim's Hot Rods, and really wasnt that expensive considering it included disc brakes and power rack and pinion steering.
I believe that he is going to be driving it on the streets, not on a track. Doing a 100+ the truck would be impounded and wouldn't have driving privledges for awhile.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:30 PM
rswhitmore
Senior User
Originally Posted by 56panelford
I believe that he is going to be driving it on the streets, not on a track. Doing a 100+ the truck would be impounded and wouldn't have driving privledges for awhile.
You may be right, but what is the 380 HP for if you are not going to open it up now and then? It is going to be squirrely with the stock suspension.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:42 PM
Izzie1701
Freshman User
HP is more so just so I can say it has the horse power. I wont be opening it up to speeds like that at all. Wont go much over 130km or so (85mph). I like having a drivers license. I am looking for more acceleration then anything. I think my thouts are more so you have the drag cars with not much more then bike steering doing 350mph on the quarter mile I am sure that stock suspension can handle 85mph. I know these cars basicly point and shoot and have no steering but I also dont plan on doing 350mph down a quarter mile anytime soon. I just wanted to see if I was off my rocker for thinking that the front end could handle this. I am in Canada so I have to order the IFS kits from down south. That kind of weight really hurts on the shipping costs. I would be looking at around $3000 for a Mustang II front end after shipping and brockerage fees. I am yet to find a Canadian supplier for these. Can find the disk break conversion kits for around $600 up here and then ordering smaller items from down south isnt to bad on shipping. Stock I am looking at around $1300 vs the $3000 IFS kits.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:59 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Nope, if you want to go 85 with confidence, the stock setup is not for you. Have you ever gone 85 in one of these trucks? It is like pushing a barn door thru water. Get a crosswind at higher speeds and you'll be in the next county before you can react. Fat, low profile tires and lowering the whole truck will help, but I wouldn't try using the stock suspension if 85 is going to be a common thing. Be sure to install a good supplemental hood latch or chain, too.

PS I'm curious how you are getting that kind of power out of a 302 without a torque curve that looks like a chainsaw's?

Old 01-31-2014, 01:14 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Izzie,
Hmmm.. Can't tell if you have already bought your truck or are in
the planning to buy stage. We've got a 1950 F1 & we put in the horsepower with a 351W/400HP top end kit from Edelbrock. We also did the No Limit Engineering IFS for approx. $2600. A few thoughts:

o If you do the IFS you don't need to lower it any further. The IFS drops it
3 inches which is plenty - any lower & you are going to have trouble just driving around.

o We've got plenty of horsepower but I never use it. These trucks even with upgraded suspensions are not that stable. Pretty twitchy - I go highway speeds - 85mph is too much for a 60 year old flat windshield former farm truck.

o If you want a basic build just leave it basic - a 302 with an AOD or C4
will be fine.

o If I had it to do over I would leave the original 289 that came with our's & I'd probably go with front disc/ Toyota power steering package like Dmack has in his nice truck. Build a nice 60 - 65 mph cruising truck.

Good luck up there in Canada. Look forward to seeing your build.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
351W/AOD

Old 01-31-2014, 04:26 PM
Izzie1701
Freshman User
The 85 miles would be rare. Most of the km will be at 70km top. Cruise nights ect. There will be times though where my foot gets the best of me and I hit it to 85mph.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:06 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,119 Likes on 2,649 Posts
There used to be adds in the auto trader mags of an outfit in your area that made IFS kits for our trucks but can't remember the name, should check out a news stand and see if he's still advertising. You may be close enough to check out his shop and save yourself a bunch of shipping charges, his prises were in line with the vendors in the States. Only wish I could remember the name of the outfit.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:19 PM
dav54effie
Senior User
One option is to go with a crown vic suspension. I don't know how you are with fabricating and things like that. That's what I did to mine. And the crown Vic's are heavier than our trucks I read somewhere. And with disk brakes already on it and abs if you choose to go with that. And it's a lot cheaper than hiedts setup.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:36 PM
Giesterfarher™
Senior User
My Uncle had a 53 with the stock chassis and a street Hemi with a 4 speed that was rated at 425bph, but I'm positive it was more like 600 bhp.
It was Terrifying.
He could drive it like nobodies business, but it was, when all was said and done, a straight line, light to light dragster. It rode like a buckboard, handled worse than any cement truck with an out of balance load and was the coolest damned truck on the planet.

Which is why I want to copy it, but with my own flair. And that includes IFS. I've had several vehicles of my own over the years with straight axle front ends, and I just can't seem to leave them be when it comes to adding horses. And they all sucked to drive unless the road was like glass. If you can afford it, go with a nice, quality IFS. You'll like the truck a lot more, if you're anything like me.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:42 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,790 Likes on 1,824 Posts
In my 49 F1 I'm running a 500ci Caddy engine, power disc brakes, power steering and the stock front suspension (I removed a leaf or two to lower the truck a bit)
I've had the old beast over 90MPH several times without any issues (short trips on the dragstrip and not extended driving). I have made several cross country roadtrips at speeds between 70-80MPH with some short bursts at 85+ (shhh don't tell the law)

As long as you don't have excessive play in the stock front end (king pins, spring bushings, tie rods, drag link, etc) the system works just fine. If you're going to be doing any hard cornering then you'll find its a little lacking with a good amount of body roll.

My truck does have some bump steer but that is a problem I created and I doubt it would be an issue for you if you go with the Toyota box in the stock(ish) location (I think with a 302 you should have plenty of room for it)

You just have to decide what you want out of the truck, what your expectations are. Are you wanting something that drives and feels like a new car? if yes, then you'd be better off going with some kind of modern IFS upgrade. Are you comfortable (had any experience) driving an old truck? If so, then the stock suspension is just fine.

Good luck with it
Bobby

Quick Reply: Stock Front end or IFS