6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Powermax Turbo issue, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:20 PM
Kobra62
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powermax Turbo issue, need advice!

I had to change injectors due to faulty work on them by Sniper Injection out of WY. I'm not the only one who has had problems with this guy and I highly recommend you to stay away. But since I had the injectors out, I decided to upgrade my stock turbo to the Powermax. (Brand new from Swamps) I also did an upgrade on the injectors from 175/75 to 190/100. Before I changed them I had a DP tuner tuned for what I had and all the gauges worked. Since I changed the turbo, I cannot hear it spool up and the truck definitely doesn't have as much power. The boost gauge also quit working. (I have the Infinity-DX from DP and it reads the MAP sensor from the OBDII.) I went ahead and changed back to the stock turbo today to see if it was a PCM problem and it spools just fine. (still no boost reading) As of right now I have both turbos off the truck and have no idea where to go from here. The MAP sensor reads a steady 4.4v and the MAF sensor is at 1.2v - 1.4v at idle and up to 3.3v at WOT.

I'm assuming I have a bad MAP sensor, but before I buy one I wanted to get others' opinions. Why would it quit working from the time I shut the truck off to when I started it back up? I'm still confused about the Powermax not spooling up. I would think that it should no matter what tunes the truck had because more exhaust should mean more boost right?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Did you plug the vgt sensor back in properly?

There is a right way and a wrong way to plug it in. I've seen people do it

Old 01-30-2014, 11:05 PM
PetersPatio
Junior User
I had to replace my stock turbo. I went with a Powermax. My truck is bone stock or was until the new turbo. I haven't had any issues. I had a p0299 underboost code one cold day when I started it a few days ago. I cleared the code and it hasn't come back on since. You would know if the turbo was spooling. It whistles a lot more than the stock turbo.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:47 AM
Kobra62
New User
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Did you plug the vgt sensor back in properly?

There is a right way and a wrong way to plug it in. I've seen people do it
I believe it is.. the snap goes on top correct?

Old 01-31-2014, 12:55 AM
Kobra62
New User
Originally Posted by PetersPatio
I had to replace my stock turbo. I went with a Powermax. My truck is bone stock or was until the new turbo. I haven't had any issues. I had a p0299 underboost code one cold day when I started it a few days ago. I cleared the code and it hasn't come back on since. You would know if the turbo was spooling. It whistles a lot more than the stock turbo.
I've seen youtube videos with the Powermax. Mine doesn't whistle at all. You can hear the engine out of the exhaust rather than the turbo. I just learned I have these codes:
P132B "Turbocharger/Supercharger boost control A performance"
P0069 "MAP - Barometric pressure correlation"
P0603 "Keep alive Memory"
Plus others that don't have any relation with my problem.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:11 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any tine exhaust leak will cause boost problems. Can be tricky to get the turbo and pipes to line up perfectly, especially if you didn't loosen up the exhaust at the manifolds first. Any hissing when you open the hood while idling?

Old 01-31-2014, 07:35 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnus E
Any tine exhaust leak will cause boost problems. Can be tricky to get the turbo and pipes to line up perfectly, especially if you didn't loosen up the exhaust at the manifolds first. Any hissing when you open the hood while idling?
Maybe it's becuase God has smiled on me everytime I've had to pull a turbo, but I've never had to loosen the up pipes to get the turbo on or off. With a little finagling, it's always fallen into place for me with no exhaust leaks.

You may want to pull things apart to check and make sure you don't have a leak at the collecter pipes.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:23 AM
Kobra62
New User
Originally Posted by Magnus E
No, no hissing at all

Old 01-31-2014, 09:58 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Check the MAP sensor hose and nipple where it goes into the intake manifold for obstruction. I'm bettin this is probably an 03 truck?

Please post ALL the codes related or not. Also, check EBP (if it will read), MAP, and BARO at KOEO (key on engine off) to see if the sensors read within .5 psi of each other.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:08 AM
Kobra62
New User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Check the MAP sensor hose and nipple where it goes into the intake manifold for obstruction. I'm bettin this is probably an 03 truck?

Please post ALL the codes related or not. Also, check EBP (if it will read), MAP, and BARO at KOEO (key on engine off) to see if the sensors read within .5 psi of each other.
Checked the nipple on the manifold; it's completely clean. Yes, it is an '03.

P132B "Turbocharger/Supercharger boost control A performance"
P0069 "MAP - Barometric pressure correlation"
P0603 "Keep alive Memory"
P0683 "Glow plug control module to PCM"
P0232 "Fuel pump secondary circuit high"

This tuner has more than one gauge for the same thing and they read different. (Don't know which is the right one, but I'll post all)

KOEO:
MAP - 5.2
MAP - 5
MAP_KPA - 42.4
MGP - 0
EBP - 0
BARO - 22.3
BARO - 31.9
MAP volts - 4.3
MAF volts - 0.04

KOER:
MAP - 5.2
MAP - 5
MAP_KPA - 42.4
MGP - 0
EBP - 2.8
BARO - 22.3
BARO - 31.9
MAP volts - 4.3
MAF volts - 1.088

Old 01-31-2014, 11:22 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

I tend to ignore the EBP on an 03 truck because it's an inferred value but the MAP looks to be way off to me. It should match BARO. It's probably why you're not reading any boost but you still hear the turbo spool. It's also probably responsible for the P132B and P0069 codes. If you have another 6.0 or 7.3 you can borrow the MAP sensor from to double check that's where I'd start before purchasing one, but I think that's at least a majority of your problem.

Is it blowing any black smoke under accel?

Old 01-31-2014, 11:29 AM
Kobra62
New User
I tend to ignore the EBP on an 03 truck because it's an inferred value but the MAP looks to be way off to me. It should match BARO. It's probably why you're not reading any boost but you still hear the turbo spool. It's also probably responsible for the P132B and P0069 codes. If you have another 6.0 or 7.3 you can borrow the MAP sensor from to double check that's where I'd start before purchasing one, but I think that's at least a majority of your problem.

Is it blowing any black smoke under accel?

The thing is I can't hear it spool. At least not like it's supposed to. I'll try to find one to borrow, but I think I'll end up buying one.

There is a little black smoke but not much. I have performance injectors without the right tunes as of now.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:40 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Kobra62
The thing is I can't hear it spool. At least not like it's supposed to. I'll try to find one to borrow, but I think I'll end up buying one.

There is a little black smoke but not much. I have performance injectors without the right tunes as of now.
My bad. Sounds like the vanes aren't moving if all you can hear is the motor sound. Doesn't mean it won't boost, it just will be laggy and hot. There is a plug in the VGT that you can remove to see if it moves.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:40 PM
Kobra62
New User
My bad. Sounds like the vanes aren't moving if all you can hear is the motor sound. Doesn't mean it won't boost, it just will be laggy and hot. There is a plug in the VGT that you can remove to see if it moves.

You're fine. I took it to a shop and they tested the vane movement and they do move.

I removed a jumper wire that was between the MAP sensor and the stock wire harness. I think someone put it there for the edge chip it used to have. Since then the MAP is giving normal readings:

KOEO:
MAP - 12.2
MAP - 12
MAP_KPA - 12.3
MGP - 0
EBP - 0
BARO - 25.0
BARO - 12.3
MAP volts - 1.0449
MAF volts - 0.0400

KOER:
MAP - 12.5
MAP - 12
MAP_KPA - 12.4
MGP - 0.1
EBP - 2.1
BARO - 25
BARO - 12.3
MAP volts - 1.0699
MAF volts - 1.3280

Took it for a test run, and I get about 7 lbs of boost, but the truck revs up and slams into the next gear when it shifts so I didn't dare to push it too hard.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:29 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Just give it a little driving time and the trans will adjust. Sounds like with the P0603 you had the batteries disconnected and sometimes they act like that.

Quick Reply: Powermax Turbo issue, need advice!