Finally tore into my 460 MAF/SEFI project..

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:08 PM
kanuck15
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You dont want the PCM to compensate for that. You run a calibrated MAF and just bump up the fuel pressure.

Its a mustang trick to get some more power. Fords (untill 97-98) run a 45psi fuel system. After that they went to 65psi. Either way I know that trick works cause I put a calibrated MAF on my ranger with 19lbs injectors cranked up. Works well and my Air/Fuel ratio is right on spec.

But I digress, That kit looks good and the price isnt bad either. Kind of makes me rethink my plan

Old 02-16-2014, 07:05 PM
cbakker
Laughing Gas
It shouldn't matter what the MAF is calibrated for as I can tune the input from it. I know I want to get close but it shouldn't make a huge difference as I am not going to flow much more air than a stock motor. The kit I am getting is coming with the ford 80mm MAF. I will tune it to work with the 24's but still may get the 30's JIC. I don't know if my stock fuel pumps will handle that.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:11 PM
kanuck15
Junior User
Yeah I am talking how to do it without a tune. Throw a tune in it and you can do whatever you want to

The stock fuel pump would run alright with 30s but Id imagine at WOT you may fall off. To save some cost I wonder if a frame rail single pump would be the route to go rather than upgrade two intank pumps? Much like the diesels have

Old 02-20-2014, 11:27 PM
gomjrca
New User
Is there a need for a second o2 sensor for the Mac conversion?

Old 02-21-2014, 06:18 PM
cbakker
Laughing Gas
I'm gonna stick with 24s for now. I am expecting close to 350hp so I should be fine. I will know as soon as I start tuning.

With the fiveology kit I will be getting a EEC-4 computer so I should only need a single o2 sensor.

I don't think EEC-4 pcm's have the capability of running more than one sensor.

I will be waiting on my fiveology kit for another week or two apparently, but I may start reassembly and documentary sooner.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:30 AM
kanuck15
Junior User
Well you have my attention as to how that kit goes. I might be into the idea of it if its a solid kit

Old 02-24-2014, 10:34 AM
gomjrca
New User
I'm also very interested to see how it goes for you. I looking to buy the kit from fiveology also.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:35 AM
cbakker
Laughing Gas
I just got the fiveology kit last week, which includes a post '95 WAY1 EEC-IV, wiring harness, and an 80mm MAF housing with "calibrated" sensor.

I will add pics of all of this stuff soon.

Right now the only remaining components I need are the intake ducting(which I never made it to the JY to check for), wideband O2 sensor, and gauges.

I don't necessarily need the gauges at this point, since I will be running binary editor and EEC analyzer. I would however like some input on which wideband to buy. The Innovate and AEM sensors seem to be the most popular. I will not need a kit such as the LM-1 with the harness for datalogging, because I will be doing this through the PCM.

Thoughts?

Edit: I also wish I would have looked at this thread during my cam research as it may have been a better route for me.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ate-build.html

I will also need a AFPR. Has anyone had good luck with the BBK regulator? What other options are there?

Old 03-19-2014, 02:33 PM
cbakker
Laughing Gas
Made it to the JY yesterday, and picked up an airbox and part of the ducting out of a 94 MAF 5.0 F-150. I found more than one truck that would have worked, but i took the cleanest one I found.

This was the first MAF 5.0 I found, and unfortunately, it had another f-150 stacked on the hood. I kept on and ended up taking it out of this guy;

You'll notice I left the twin tubes going to the TB, and this was because they won't be long enough anyway. I may end up fab'ing up my own intake ducting and ditching the tube off of the MAF housing, but I decided to keep it for now. Trudging through the snow and the slop yesterday wasn't fun, but I'm bringing my truck and motor in the shop tonight and starting reassembly, so I made the trek.

As promised here is a pic of the fiveology kit I received with WAY1 EEC-IV, 80MM MAF housing with "calibrated" sensor, and full wiring harness for MAF sensor and injectors.

Here is my hardware from Moates, but I believe the BE/EA software is just as important;

P.S. I was super confused for a few seconds when I opened up a hood to this MAF I6

Old 03-30-2014, 07:49 PM
cbakker
Laughing Gas
I mocked up the intake with the 5.0 parts and it turned out much better than I thought.

[IMG][/IMG]

The reassembly is going slower than I thought but it is at least going good so far.

I'm leaving the radiator and alternator brackets out for now until I get the fiveology overlay harness installed. More updates to come!

Old 03-31-2014, 08:40 PM
nebechanezer
Tuned
Looks great, thanks for the pics. Does the air box lid from the 5.0 fit on yours or do you have to fab something there?

Old 03-31-2014, 09:08 PM
cbakker
Laughing Gas
I had to take the bottom of the air box because the 5.0 box uses clips rather than the 4 bolts. I assume this was a MAF thing and not just a 5.0 thing. It should make it a lot easier to access the filter at least.

The bottom half that I picked has two adjacent bolt holes for its mounting bracket rather than the three bolt holes from my stock one.(if that makes sense). I am going to go back to the JY to grab the bracket for the air box and washer/coolant res. Hopefully I can get it to match up with the inner fender.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:45 PM
nebechanezer
Tuned
How do the filter sizes compare?

Old 04-02-2014, 12:32 AM
arod1256
New User
Im so excited i have this exact project i plan on tackling.. i am a nuubie to the fourms ... i am willing to purchase the five o kit as well and the motase quarter horse.. you are running the e4od correct? I am almost done compelting my 460 water cooled supercharged truck running 30lb injectors and need to make the maf conversion for tunning. please any advice would be greatly apprciated .

Old 04-02-2014, 06:52 AM
cbakker
Laughing Gas
Air filter is the same. I will be using a k&n drop in. Unlike most k&n users I do clean my oiled filters regularly.

Arod, it sounds like you have a different goal than I do. You are correct in doing the MAF swap for tuning, but it is a necessity with a supercharger.

Quick Reply: Finally tore into my 460 MAF/SEFI project..