1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Front main seal leak after melling lpop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Farmboypowerstroke
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front main seal leak after melling lpop?

I installed a new melling lpop when the motor was out of the truck, I crawled under the truck today and noticed oil all over the radiator hoses and down the front of oil pan. Really not enough to leak on the ground, but there is for sure a leak somewhere.
The lpop has oil on it, and a big drip hanging on the bottom lpop bolt.
I'm working on changing the cps, I had to come in because I couldn't feel my hands, its below zero with the wind.
I did notice the black CPS pulled right out real easy, the grey CPS I'm trying to put in, push in real hard. Maybe the oil is coming from the cps and dripping down?
I guess what I'm trying to ask is, has anyone experienced the front seal leaking on a melling lpop within 2,000 miles of installation?

Old 01-30-2014, 11:43 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
not sure if you can "seat" the lpop wrong, but maybe also, you cranked to hard on the bolts and now have a cracked front cover

Old 01-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Farmboypowerstroke
Elder User
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
not sure if you can "seat" the lpop wrong, but maybe also, you cranked to hard on the bolts and now have a cracked front cover

No, I don't think you can "seat" the lpop wrong because of the two dowel pins that need to be lined up. I tq the bolts according to the instruction sheet.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:16 PM
spongecop
Semper Fi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you put RTV on the key way???

Old 01-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Farmboypowerstroke
Elder User
Originally Posted by spongecop
did you put RTV on the key way???

yep, used the Ford grey sealant

Old 01-30-2014, 01:32 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

I sure did have a leak and man that oil gets EVERYWHERE!.. Mine leaked at the front crank seal. I ended up putting a fluidamper on it and changing the seal then. No leaks now. That oil will cause infiltrate your CPS connector making all kinds of weird things happen. If you are changing out your CPS for failure, it could be due to oil in the connector.

P/n for the new CPS pigtail from IH 2501108C1. My seal swelled so I changed it out. It'll run you 25 bucks, same one at NAPA is 50.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:47 PM
Farmboypowerstroke
Elder User
Originally Posted by jetdoc
I sure did have a leak and man that oil gets EVERYWHERE!.. Mine leaked at the front crank seal. I ended up putting a fluidamper on it and changing the seal then. No leaks now. That oil will cause infiltrate your CPS connector making all kinds of weird things happen. If you are changing out your CPS for failure, it could be due to oil in the connector.

P/n for the new CPS pigtail from IH 2501108C1. My seal swelled so I changed it out. It'll run you 25 bucks, same one at NAPA is 50.

Interesting,
There isn't any oil up by the cps. I should probably get a new pigtail anyways.
I'll see if I can take a picture of the mess I'm dealing with, because I know everyone on here likes pics.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:49 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Farmboypowerstroke
Interesting, my cps connector doesn't have a seal on it. Must have fell out a while ago.
There wasn't any oil or crap inside the cps though.
There isn't any oil up by the cps.
I'll see if I can take a picture of the mess I'm dealing with, because I know everyone on here likes pics.
That seal is what holds that connector in place....

Old 01-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Farmboypowerstroke
Elder User
That seal is what holds that connector in place....

Well I really need a new one now

Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 PM
Farmboypowerstroke
Elder User
Found the problem, I was looking through my misc parts and found out that the new wear ring didn't get installed on the harmonic balancer. My question is, could I just pop the balancer off, install new wear ring and good to go or should the front main seal be replaced now?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:18 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Farmboypowerstroke
Found the problem, I was looking through my misc parts and found out that the new wear ring didn't get installed on the harmonic balancer. My question is, could I just pop the balancer off, install new wear ring and good to go or should the front main seal be replaced now?
IIRC the front seal is less than twenty bucks at International and it comes with a new wear ring. Don't go to Ford, they want seventy bucks for the same part. I'd throw a new one in there since you're going to take the balancer off anyway. I got mine off without pulling the fan or shroud if you're curious. Its tight, but it goes.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:20 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I was gonna ask if you replaced the wear ring, but you already figured it out. Takes special tools to get theold one off and the new one on. Not sure where you are, but I have those tools.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:48 PM
Farmboypowerstroke
Elder User
IIRC the front seal is less than twenty bucks at International and it comes with a new wear ring. Don't go to Ford, they want seventy bucks for the same part. I'd throw a new one in there since you're going to take the balancer off anyway. I got mine off without pulling the fan or shroud if you're curious. Its tight, but it goes.
That is good to know! I was digging through more stuff, and found a new front seal. So I have a new ring and seal

Originally Posted by Nicmike
I was gonna ask if you replaced the wear ring, but you already figured it out. Takes special tools to get theold one off and the new one on. Not sure where you are, but I have those tools.
I'm located in Michigan. I take it one can't rent the tools at a local auto parts store? If not, I'm willing to pay shipping both ways, plus paying you to use your tools.
I'm not touching it till probably close to spring, its not leaking too bad and I need pretty much every day.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:08 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
They may have the tools, but I know for sure Nicmike's took works as it's what I replaced my wear ring with.

He was also kind enough to school me on the harmonic balancer as well as what and how things need to be replaced.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:28 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Question: is this 'wear ring' a part that is factory installed and intentionally replaced, or is it an aftermarket fix, like a 'Speedi sleeve' to fix a worn harmonic balancer? If the former, then that's a very cool design.

Quick Reply: Front main seal leak after melling lpop?