Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New member with a 1956 C-600

Old 01-07-2019, 10:34 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Badmoonreizen View Post

Here's some pics of the finished seat. My hands were too cold to unfold it.
Mark, are you happy with the seat. I'm still not decided on redoing my original one or finding a newer one. I like the original look of them.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:43 AM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User
Badmoonreizen has a good reputation on FTE.Badmoonreizen has a good reputation on FTE.
I am happy with the way the seat turned out, but haven't sat on it yet. I am not going to redo another one, even if a loose spring gives me an unexpected colonoscopy!

Regards, Mark.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:49 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm seeing new take out rear F150 seats on our local Craigslist for less than $150 with seatbelts and think they might be more comfortable, but I like the look of the original bench seats.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:17 PM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User
Badmoonreizen has a good reputation on FTE.Badmoonreizen has a good reputation on FTE.
I am sure the new ones are way more comfortable, but I like everything to look original, except for the hidden items, like the chassis, suspension, engine and safety items.

Just my two cents, do what makes you happy!

Regards,

Mark

Old 01-11-2019, 07:30 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
Originally Posted by Badmoonreizen View Post
I am sure the new ones are way more comfortable, but I like everything to look original, except for the hidden items, like the chassis, suspension, engine and safety items.

Just my two cents, do what makes you happy!

Regards,

Mark
I like the original seat looks too. I'm thinking I'll restore mine. I appreciate your opinion. Thanks. I'm hoping mine will look like a vehicle an electrical utility or the USFS might have had in 1953 except be easy and comfortable to drive.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User
Ken: I think you are well on your way. The seat is not too hard to restore. DIY Upholstery supply has all the springs and connectors you will need. I fixed the broken ones, sandblasted the frame and painted it. Bought the foam from Mid-Fifty, and the covers from Ray Buck(https://raybuck.com/product/1953-56-...ck-seat-cover/.
An upholstery shop should be able to install it for around $100.00 if you don't feel comfortable doing it.

Keep us posted!!

Regards, Mark.

PS: They have velour also, but not for me!!

Last edited by Badmoonreizen; 01-11-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Add PS
Old 01-11-2019, 08:47 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 50COE View Post
Really great to see someone's making progress...

I think you'll want to drop the bed box a bit lower... I don't think you'll be happy with the height of the bed sidewall the way it is...

I've seen them in many configurations... Not that any one is better than another... but here's a pic of mine from a few angles... at various stages... My bed cross-members are about 6" off the original COE straight frame....

You can see the stands we made ... the original F1 cross-members are slightly angled in front and back of the rear axle... the F1 frames were humped over the axle area... and the cross-members were angled to accommodate the arch.
Brian, what is your wheelbase? I like your proportions. I think it's the wheelbase and fender locations that help bring everything together. Your bed crossmember stands are trick, too.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:39 AM
thesubversivehippie
Freshman User
thesubversivehippie is starting off with a positive reputation.
I believe his wheelbase is 110".

Old 01-12-2019, 04:09 AM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User
Great pictures and very helpful. My cab and bed are on an E-350 chassis, and I shortened the wheelbase to 130". I know the bed has to be dropped, but I don't know how far until I put on the 19.5" wheels and 285/70/19.5 tires.
Once the tires and wheels are on, and I mock up the rear fender placement, then I can lower it so that it is aesthetically proportionate.

What you see is the initial placement, based upon looking at many beds and their relationship to the door handles (almost even). Not going to work on mine, however.

We all learn from each other, and , believe me, the contributions from this forum have propelled me rocketing onward.
I appreciate all the help and comments from everyone!!

More to come on this journey.

Regards, Mark.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:04 AM
50COE
Senior User
50COE has a very good reputation on FTE.50COE has a very good reputation on FTE.50COE has a very good reputation on FTE.
Wheelbase & proportions

Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
Brian, what is your wheelbase? I like your proportions. I think it's the wheelbase and fender locations that help bring everything together. Your bed crossmember stands are trick, too.

My wheelbase is 110"

that was basically exactly what it was when I bought it... it was a tractor / trailer config originally.

I left it that way because I felt an 8' bed proportion was necessary... I've seen one or two with 6 1/2' beds and they seem a bit out of proportion to me... I also believe I read some poor driving reviews when the wheelbase was that short...

Keep us posted on your progress.

thanks,
Brian

Old 01-19-2019, 06:27 AM
48F1-907
New User
48F1-907 is starting off with a positive reputation.

48 COE
I'm really hoping you guys get these COE's done and get all the bugs worked out for me. Next up in my que is my 48 F6.

Last edited by 48F1-907; 01-19-2019 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Pics
Old 01-19-2019, 07:06 AM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User
That's what we need, encouragement, time , money and some warmth here! Huge snow, wind, and sub-zero temperatures for the next 4 days= fetal position in the house.

Regards, Mark.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:05 PM
50COE
Senior User
50COE has a very good reputation on FTE.50COE has a very good reputation on FTE.50COE has a very good reputation on FTE.
... getting the bugs out...

Hey Now 48F1-907... get on out here and get your feet wet with the rest of us.

I'm sure you've noticed that every COE pickup or car hauler is a custom build with a variety of chassis; drivetrain and cab / bed applications.

It's time to get off the porch and run with the big dogs out here... We want to learn from your ideas too.

As it is, I feel like I'm going at a snails pace at the moment... it's going down to single digits here in northern VA for the next couple days.

best of luck with yours... looks like you have a great / solid cab to build from.

--Brian

Old 01-22-2019, 02:45 AM
48F1-907
New User
48F1-907 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brian,

I've got to finish my F1 first. I did it stock the first time and now I'm going resto with it. I've read your thread at least 4 times. Like most guys I'm hung up on the chassis swap or finding a suitable front suspension. I like the simplicity of the CV, but I'm wanting bigger tires. etc etc..still in the planning stages. I like what Badmoons doing in this thread as well.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
Which ever way you decide to go, please keep us updated with pictures and info. It helps motivate the rest of us.
Thanks, Ken.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New member with a 1956 C-600

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.