Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New member with a 1956 C-600

Old 03-15-2017, 05:12 AM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User
Badmoonreizen has a good reputation on FTE.Badmoonreizen has a good reputation on FTE.

Finally got the steps from Terry's fitted in properly, with a minor amount of grinding on the top curve. These steps are heavy!! Fit great.
I also went to the local steel supplier in town and picked up all the 1x1 and 1x2 tubular to make the support structure for the box & bed. I'll build a jig on the floor with large steel beams to start the process and level it with a laser before tack welding everything in place.
Regards, Mark.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:51 AM
Ken Newman
Senior User
Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.
Those look great! Do they feel pretty stout? I may end up buying a set. Did you fill the gas tank filler hole? Excuse me if you already said. I'm at work on my phone.
Keep us updated please.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:52 AM
Ken Newman
Senior User
Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.
Does the F100 upholstery stuff fit ours?

Last edited by Ken Newman; 03-16-2017 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 03-16-2017, 04:19 AM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User
Badmoonreizen has a good reputation on FTE.Badmoonreizen has a good reputation on FTE.
Stout is an understatement! Very heavy, and thick where it counts and where they might flex. Much stronger than the original metal.

I did fill the tank filler hole with the patch that Mid-Fifty sells. For $15.00 it was worth it not to screw around trying to bend up a patch.

I bought an upholstery kit from RayBuck(https://raybuck.com/product/1953-56-...ck-seat-cover/) and it fits fine. I'll post a picture of the finished seat later. I had to repair some of the springs, but those are readily available from DIY Upholstery, as are the clips.(Upholstery Spring Wire 46 inch | DIY Upholstery Supply)

I bought a 3 pronged plier for the clips on ebay for $35.00, used it for installing them, and now ready to sell it to the next person who will use it. I'll bet the same plier has been around the world many times.(Upholstery Tool 3-Prong Clip Plier | DIY Upholstery Supply)

Regards, Mark.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:12 AM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Badmoonreizen View Post
Stout is an understatement! Very heavy, and thick where it counts and where they might flex. Much stronger than the original metal.

I did fill the tank filler hole with the patch that Mid-Fifty sells. For $15.00 it was worth it not to screw around trying to bend up a patch.

I bought an upholstery kit from RayBuck(https://raybuck.com/product/1953-56-...ck-seat-cover/) and it fits fine. I'll post a picture of the finished seat later. I had to repair some of the springs, but those are readily available from DIY Upholstery, as are the clips.(Upholstery Spring Wire 46 inch | DIY Upholstery Supply)

I bought a 3 pronged plier for the clips on ebay for $35.00, used it for installing them, and now ready to sell it to the next person who will use it. I'll bet the same plier has been around the world many times.(Upholstery Tool 3-Prong Clip Plier | DIY Upholstery Supply)

Regards, Mark.
Wow! Good find on that video! I could have used that as I repaired my seat springs last year. But I bought just the amount of S spring, straight stock and clips from a local furniture store. Who needs 250 clips! Maybe you ought to put them on eBay too. I didn't know about the pliers. I just used a pliers and a needle nose to crimp them.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:24 AM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User
Abe:
I have extra spring and clips, since there aren't 250 clips on the whole seat. I'll just sell whatever I have left to someone here for what I paid for the pliers. and keep it in the FTE family. They can pass it on to the next "would be" upholsterer.

Regards, Mark.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:35 AM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User

Here's some pics of the finished seat. My hands were too cold to unfold it.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:59 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
I'm interested in the tool and some clips. Is the foam also sold? My local guy cuts foam to fit and it never looks as good as the original.
I'm anxious to see the pictures of the finished seats. Thanks guys.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:02 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
Oops, I didn't see the next page with the seat pics until I posted mine. Looks good. Is that vinyl or cloth. Cloth works better here in Arizona because of the heat. Vinyl burns your butt!

Old 03-17-2017, 04:09 AM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User
Hi Ken:
The seat is vinyl. I bought the thicker foam from Mid-Fifty. The vinyl kit comes with a hog ring pliers and rings.
I'll sell you the tool and the clips for $40.00, including priority mail shipping, which is what I paid for the 3 prong pliers.

You can get the materials in tweed or velour also. Large selection of colors also. They will send you samples of any colors you want.

https://raybuck.com/product/1953-56-...side-bolsters/

If you want the pliers, email me and we can exchange addresses.
[email protected]

Regards, Mark.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:04 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader
dynamic is a splendid one to beholddynamic is a splendid one to beholddynamic is a splendid one to beholddynamic is a splendid one to beholddynamic is a splendid one to beholddynamic is a splendid one to beholddynamic is a splendid one to behold
looking good mark, I haven't even thought about thinking about a seat yet.

The steps look great, glad to see that route worked out for you.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User
Thanks Tom, plugging along, slowly but surely. I'm sure Ken will sell you the pliers when your time arrives.
Regards, Mark.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User

Hi Gang: Finally got around to fabricating the 9' bed. Leveled two huge I beams with a laser, and my buddy Phil tack welded up the frame. Welded up the sides that I had bent and welded on the pipe roll.
I don't like the height of the front panel being even with the start of the bent side. Unless someone has a better idea, I think I will weld a piece of pipe even with the
roll pipe on the bedsides and fill in the gap on top of the front panel.

REGARDS.Mark.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:05 PM
Badmoonreizen
Senior User

Forgot to upload the important picture!

Old 04-03-2017, 07:42 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader
dynamic is a splendid one to beholddynamic is a splendid one to beholddynamic is a splendid one to beholddynamic is a splendid one to beholddynamic is a splendid one to beholddynamic is a splendid one to beholddynamic is a splendid one to behold

How about filling the space?

Sorry for my kindergartener picture. Best I could do on my iPhone ina pinch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New member with a 1956 C-600

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.