Trying to diagnosis problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 07:06 PM
Abomb
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to diagnosis problem

I have a 93 ranger 4.0
Yesterday morning went to crank it which it turned over perfect. Roughly 10-20 seconds later died completely. Then proceed to crank again and it worked perfectly. Then about 10 minutes and 3-5 miles later it died while stopped at a red light. It then would not crank or stay fully cranked longer then a few seconds. Pushed it out of the way and went to work. My friend came to tow it late in the day and it cranked rite up. It ran perfectly the rest of the night, with being cranked and turned off a few times over the course of the night. Now this morning it would not stay cranked more then a few seconds. Checked all fluids and fuses which all were good. Wondering if it could be fuel pump. If it is fuel pump, any recommendations on either removing bed or gas tank? Keep in mind tank is completely full and i do not have lift.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:32 PM
john jamieson
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
My '96 with the 4.0 developed a very intermitant problem where it would crank but not start. Leave alone for a while and eventually you would be able to start it. Ran fine once running. It finally acted up at a garage I use for bigger problems, and it was the fuel pump going bad. They replaced it and I haven't had a problem since. If you have the ability to check the pump pressure do that and see if it's within spec.
john

Old 12-10-2015, 11:07 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Before my 2001 4.0L fuel pump went bad it threw a Check Engine Light (CEL).
Ford told me I needed a new fuel pump, so I took it home and put 65,000 more miles on the fuel pump before it just would not start one day. No clue that it was not going to work. Turns out there was some debris stuck in the fuel pump motor that kept it from spinning up.
I prefer dropping the tank. Then the tank can be cleaned out which it might need to be, but if you move the bed then you can't do the clean out procedure.
Another diagnosis step would be to try to start the truck with ether.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:44 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Abomb
I have a 93 ranger 4.0
Yesterday morning went to crank it which it turned over perfect. Roughly 10-20 seconds later died completely. Then proceed to crank again and it worked perfectly. Then about 10 minutes and 3-5 miles later it died while stopped at a red light. It then would not crank or stay fully cranked longer then a few seconds. Pushed it out of the way and went to work. My friend came to tow it late in the day and it cranked rite up. It ran perfectly the rest of the night, with being cranked and turned off a few times over the course of the night. Now this morning it would not stay cranked more then a few seconds. Checked all fluids and fuses which all were good. Wondering if it could be fuel pump. If it is fuel pump, any recommendations on either removing bed or gas tank? Keep in mind tank is completely full and i do not have lift.

Next time it acts out, try swapping out the fuel pump power relay for a like known good one not needed to run the engine, such as the A/C power relay. Power relays of your vintage are a known source for intermittent no start/run woes such as your reporting. More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.