Missouri Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:77&79F250

jinxed? Funny story

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 PM
dbeers02
Cross-Country
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
jinxed? Funny story

Well I finally got my F350 crewcab long bed done enough to run it up and get it inspected. I went out first this morning and added it my insurance. Paid for 6 months of insurance in advance.
Made an appointment yesterday for today and got the truck to the local mechanic for inspection by 10Am. Told him wasn't in a huge hurry for it, just anxious to get it tagged since I have done alot of work to it and spend quite a few $ in the last month or so trying to bring it back from its 10 year slumber in the previous owners backyard.
Gave the mechanic a ring this afternoon just to see how it was going. He told me he had to take the left rear apart and see why there was brake fuid on the backing plate. I explained it wasnt a problem. The rear brake line was rusted out, so I replaced it with a new one and let the brake bleeder run a bit to flush the line out from sitting for so long.
Thats when he informed me how long my truck was. I told him I know its long. Its a crew cab 4x4 long bed. Then he told me his driver bumper into a dumpster and broke the the tail light. I told him dont worry not a big deal. Just pick up a light and pop it in.
Curiosity killed the cat here. I stopped by after work and peeked into the shop. Lights were on so it was easy to see. Its not just a tail light that broke. He smashed the beside from the tail light to almost the gas filler door.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out tomorrow.
Now its an old truck with rust, but I think he should have been more honest about the damage.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:14 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Well, I'd be pissed! He owes me a tail light, a quarter panel, ...and a sticker! ...and I'm not paying anything. OR, ......you can pay my insurance deductible. Your call.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:29 AM
Mosouthernboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeez...that's miserable!!! I'm with Alan, I'd make him pay. Hope it works out for you. Keep us posted

Old 01-30-2014, 05:47 AM
j20owner
Elder User
Would you feel ok disclosing what shop? I just noticed your location is listed as Excelsior Springs.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:46 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd have to have them pay to fix it. If they pay your deductible, and turn it in to your insurance, that you "Just Got" your premium is going to go up quite a bit

Unk Bob

Old 01-30-2014, 10:14 AM
dbeers02
Cross-Country
Waiting for the call that the truck is done. If I dont hear something by afternoon, I will just drop in unannouced later this afternon before his shop closes.
If I have an unsatisfactory conclusion, I will post the name and location of he shop. I hope he is honest and makes it right with me.
I have used this shop several other times for small repairs that I didnt have time to do and have had good luck. He has always done good work and the prices were very reasonable. We will see how this one ends up.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:33 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
That is a bummer, and that is sure not no "bumped into a dumpster and broke the the tail light", hope it works out in your favor and does not get ugly for you.

I would stop by unannounced no matter what, keep us posted and do not give in. Since it was not that way when you brought it to them....

Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 PM
dbeers02
Cross-Country
Well so far it ist going well. Dropped in at the shop at 4:30pm unannounced. Talked to the owner, John Bradley. He acknowledged it was damaged at his shop, and offered to replace the tail light but not to repair the damage as my truck "was a dinosaur" and not in great shape. I went over the fact that it was not just a bumped out tail light like he told me. The pocket for the light is smashed and the bedside is buckled in a few places with paint falling off now where the metal flexed.
I know the truck has some rust around the wheel wells but it was straight before they wrecked it. He also informed me that a rear wheel cylinder was leaking slightly so he wouldnt pass inspection. He said he couldnt find a replacement light except through Ford and it would be the end of next week before he could get it or do anything. I told him that was not good enough. He asked me what I wanted him to do. I bit my tongue and didnt blow my lid like I normally would. I told him I would talk to him more tomorrow after I had time to think about it.
I went to Orielly after and picked up a wheel cylinder for $9 and ordered a new light for $31 that I will have in my hands at 8AM Friday.

What are you guys suggestions on how I handle this tommorow? I want to go in grab him up and smack him in the mouth, but I know better. What would be my next avenue. The truck is still at his shop for now.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 PM
dbeers02
Cross-Country
By the way here is the information about the shop.

Proud Member of the ACDelco Professional Service Center Program

North Kansas City Brake Service

Serving the North Kansas City area
Share This Page

Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on pinterest_shareShare on google_plusone_shareShare on linkedinShare on emailMore Sharing Services40

CONTACT
1327 Swift Ave
North Kansas City, MO 64116
Phone: (816) 471-6092
Fax: (816) 471-2441
Shop Owner/Manager: John W. Bradley

SHOP HOURS MON 08:00AM - 05:30PMFRI 08:00AM - 05:30PMTUE 08:00AM - 05:30PMSAT 08:00AM - 12:00PMWED 08:00AM - 05:30PMSUN CLOSEDTHU 08:00AM - 05:30PM

Old 01-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ubereal2
I'd have to have them pay to fix it. If they pay your deductible, and turn it in to your insurance, that you "Just Got" your premium is going to go up quite a bit Unk Bob
The shop has their own insurance. They broke it, they fix it.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:43 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Remain calm, repeat remain calm.....I would of lost it too bite my tongue clean off and swallowed it and been all mumble yelling at him, but that will not get you no where.

Tell him HIS shop is responsible to pay for any and ALL damage to your truck and not just replace the tail light. PERIOD.

If you got in an accident on the road with someone and it was there fault (which this was) their insurance company would have to pay for the repairs to your vehicle, regardless if you truck is a "dinosaur" or not.

So tell him you want HIS business insurance (does he have any?) to pay for at least the body work on the part damaged, or buy you a new complete damage free bed side or new bed. And pay for the body work and paint to replace it. No matter what happens, he just needs to pay to get your truck fixed, that his shop damaged.

Explain that yes the truck is older and might have some rust in the fenderwell, but it DID not have any body damage when you brought it to him. You might talk to the Kansas City BBB (Better Business Bureau) and do you know any lawyers?

The least he could of got the wheel cylinder like you did, and replace it and the taillight and pass the truck insp wise. And he might of thought about trying to "settle out of court" so to speak with you, instead of being a jerk. Just pay you CASH for the damages, out of his pocket and be done with it.

If he does not want to get his shop insurance company involved, maybe ask him about doing that?

And I would NEVER take anything I own to him again and contact the BBB afterwards.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:23 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Yeah it's easy to get spooled up over this out of proportion. That's no good. And to be completely fair we' only heard one side of the story, FWIW. Not casting aspersions jus' sayin'...

It's just the attitude that bugs me, "ah, what the hell, it's a POS." (In so many words) Good businessmen know that word of mouth and reputation is everything. Depending on the trucks overall condition (difficult to tell from photo) if it were my truck it may not have been a big deal, but once they cop an attitude then I might decide that fvcking with these people is my new, full time hobby. See where I'm going with that?

The last thing they should want is negative publicity, and the owner should try to make the customer "whole" again to a reasonable level, even if a simple cash payment in lieu of bodywork and insurance getting involved. Lots of possibilities other than "tough luck" to my way of thinking.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:34 PM
Trombogon
Senior User
Be sure to stay calm while punching him in the face.

Seriously he wrecks your truck, insults it, then tells you he's not going to fix it?

To a loyal customer?

I'd take every penny I could from that guy.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:54 PM
dbeers02
Cross-Country
Update- new dilemma.
I stopped in to the shop after work. Talked to the owner. told him we needed to figure this out. He asked me what I wanted. I said just a fair shake. The truck wasn't wrecked when I brought it in and he needed to make it right. "Either make it right or I will bring the police in,make a report and go from there". Well, his story kind of changed there. he told me fine, go take the truck to a body shop and get it fixed. He said he will not pay for it, but the young kid that wrecked it will pay for it. said" he needed to learn a lesson for wrecking customers vehicles". Insisted, we ought to be able to figure something out and make it easier on everyone. He said "No. get it to a body shop and he would make the kid pay for it". I asked him if it was a "young kid" and he replied yes it was.
I insisted, surely there is a solution that will make both of us happy. I told him I am not trying to be an ******* but the truck wasnt wrecked.
He stayed firm and said take it to a body shop and he would make the kid pay for it.
So, I kind of feel bad now.
Yes I will get the truck repaired, but at the cost of a young kids paycheck. I was young once and didnt have much money, so I feel for the kid, but, on the other hand.....
I am conflicted on what to do. I hate to take this kids money, but I know he should be taught accountability. I am not sure what to do.
I had planned on buying a rust free bed in the future, but not yet and I still dont have a passed inspection.
Arghhh. Damn the luck.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:01 PM
j20owner
Elder User
I would get it fixed and tell EVERYONE you know that the guy is untrustworthy and not worth taking business to. Bring it by my work and I'll pass it for you in the future.

Quick Reply: jinxed? Funny story