Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New 7.3 Owner with a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 03:25 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 7.3 Owner with a few questions.

Hey guys, even though I've been on the forum for a little over a year now, I figured I'd introduce myself, since I'll probably be in this part of the forum more often now. Before I spent most my time on here looking up stuff for my Dads 2006 F550 6.0 Powerstroke, or looking up things to fix up and drive my Dad's old 88 F250 with the 460, but that just didn't work out right now. So now I finally have my own truck to drive. My name is Jon and I just bought my first vehicle/truck in a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 Powerstroke. Yes my first vehicle, I'm younger at only 18, so I've still got a lot to learn. But ever since I even thought about getting something to drive, I knew I wanted a truck, especially a diesel. I had grown up around diesel trucks all my life, so that's what I really wanted. So I waited and saved up and finally was able to afford to get one, it took about 4 months of looking, but I finally found a good, solid truck, that I liked. It took my Dad and I a 4 hour drive away to a dealer to get it, but it was well worth the drive and wait. I am really excited and happy to have my truck, I can't believe its mine, and that I finally have it. It really is an amazing feeling to have and drive the truck I've always wanted. Unbelievably, it is almost exactly what I would have wanted if I could have picked any truck. I wasn't expecting to get it, because I couldn't be too picky with what I got, but I was lucky enough to find this truck.

So as this being my first truck and diesel I had a few questions about it. I wanted to post this a while ago when I first got the truck, but I just never got around to it. I'm relatively new to diesels, as in taking care of and maintaining them, I still have a basic understanding of diesels though. I know more about aftermarket and add on/upgrade parts than I do the actual mechanical and working on/maintain aspect of diesels. I know kind of backwards, haha.

Like I said my truck is a 2002 F250 7.3 Powerstroke auto trans, its got a little over 270,000 miles on it now, but it still runs and drives great. Its a white XLT CC SB 4x4, with the tan cloth interior, and is lifted a little. The mods that were on it when I got it are a 4in MBRP exhaust with the muffler, K&N intake, TS Performance 6-pos chip, and 3 Glowshift gauges: EGT, Boost, and Trans temp. The truck is in pretty good shape, and it looks like the previous owner(s) took really good care of it.

Even though it is in really good shape, its still a used truck, so I was wondering what some things are that I should change, and look over and check out, to make sure that everything is in good working order. Lately I had been having a problem where my truck wouldn't start when it was cold and had sat for more than a few hours. So I had all new GPR, glow plugs, and batteries put in, which fixed my no start problem. My Dad's mechanic and my Uncle did all of the work on it, I watched them do part of it. They also fixed the oil cooler that was leaking, and replaced the vacuum pump that was bad I guess. And since it was my Dad's mechanic that was working on it, he gave a good look over and checked pretty much the whole truck out. So he fixed a few little things that he didn't think were quite up to par. He also changed the fuel filter and I originally thought they changed the oil, but I guess they just added some 15W-40 after they did the oil cooler. So even though he did check over everything pretty well, is there anything else specifically that you guys think I should check out myself?

I was also wondering about what fluids and filters need to be changed, and any other general maintenance things that I should do and keep and eye on. I know of course oil, oil and fuel filters, and then transmission fluid, powers steering fluid, and differential fluid. Is there anything else that I missed? I would like to give the truck a full service here pretty soon. And then once I do, how often should fluids and filters be changed? I think oil is at most 5000 miles and then oil and fuel filters are about 10,000, about right? But I'm not sure about the rest. Also what fluids and filters do you guys recommend using?

I know the automatic transmissions don't have the best reputation in these trucks, so I was wondering if there was anything that I could do to extend the life of my transmission. I think it shifts and drives fine, but I don't have really anything to compare it to. When my Dad drove it to the shop a few times, he thought it was slipping a little bit on the one set of steep hills that we drive through sometimes, I've never noticed it before though. The truck has over 270,000 miles on it so, I would guess that at some time, the transmission was probably rebuilt or replaced. Is there any way to tell for sure if it has been replaced or rebuilt by just looking at it?

I also had a few questions about some of the current mods that are already on the truck. Like I said I know a good deal about aftermarket parts, and already have a lot of plans for the truck, but just had a few questions on what's already on the truck.

The TS chip I think is: Stock, High idle, 50hp, 75hp, 100hp, and 140hp. Is there any way to tell for sure what's on it? I know that custom tunes are usually better, so I was thinking about sending the chip to DP-tuner to get some custom tunes burned on to it. Do you guys think it would be good to send it in soon, or will I be ok with the TS canned tunes for now? I know that no tune is really good for the transmission, but I think that the custom tunes would be a little easier on it, right? I think I'll probably end up sending it to them eventually, but just wanted to know what you guys thought.

I was also wondering how good the K&N intake is? I know that the 6637 filter seems to be what most guys use for their 7.3s. Its the intake that I was already planning to put on whatever truck I got, before I got mine. So I was wondering if you guys think it would be worth it to get the 6637 instead of the K&N, if its that much better.

I think that's about it. I know its a lot of questions, and I hope you guys can answer them all. I just want to learn more about my truck and hopefully be able to take as good of care of it as I possibly can. Thanks for any replies!

Oh yeah, here's a few pictures of my truck.
At the dealership.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I don't think DP tuner can tune your TS chip. Some one like PHP, Gearhead, tony Wildman can do that for you. K&N filters have a bad rep here. But for me, I'd go with the AIS filter instead. Its quite. Truck looks great, some others will come in soon.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The K&Ns have a bad reputation on diesels. I wouldn't have one on mine. Pull the intake tubes off and look at the turbocharger compressor wheel. Make sure it isn't chewed up and all the fins have nice square edges.

Make sure all the boot clamps on the CAC tubes and plenums/spider are tight.

A fuel pressure gauge can be very helpful if you need to diagnose problems, too.

Once in a while, check for any fluid leaks in the valley in the middle of the engine.

You already know a lot about the glow plug system, so no need to address that

Otherwise, you have a wealth of information available from the people here if you need help. This group is very knowledgeable, and I've found people here really go above and beyond for others.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:25 PM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
I would definitely change the oil if you haven't since it became yours. Even if the dealership said it was just changed, do it anyway. At least then you'll KNOW, and have a good baseline to help you keep track of your intervals.

I change oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and coolant filter every 5,000 miles. Some say the fuel filter is overkill, but I'm not willing to risk issues over a $20 filter. I'll just change it each time.
I use Donaldson for all filters, except fuel where I stick with Motorcraft/Racor. Lately I've been using the big Donaldson Endurance ELF7045 oil filter that's made for the Caterpillar 3406. Using Shell Rotella T6 5W-40.
Air filter... I'll get to that in a minute.

I'd lose the K&N as well. I'm sure you'll get a couple guys in here soon defending it, but to me it's just not worth the risk of its reputation. The Ford/Donaldson AIS intake however, is developed by Donaldson, approved by Ford, outflows and definitely out-filters most other intakes out there, & for a cheaper price. Some have reported 30,000 miles+ before replacing the filter as well. I have about 5k on mine and it hasn't blinked. But I'm 100% on-road.

You should check with DP-Tuner about your chip question (someone from there might chime in on this thread), but I'd like to say they will tune your chip. I think it's their chips that can't be tuned by others... I highly recommend them all around, great to deal with and a very nice product.

Anyway, great lookin truck! A 7.3L as a first vehicle... Lucky man. I had a good many years driving a dogged out TDI Jetta and saving my money before I could step into my truck. Take care of her and she'll take care of you. Enjoy it!

Old 01-28-2014, 06:42 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
The transmissions usually hold up pretty well as long as you stick the the routine maintenance and don't push it beyond what it was designed and built for. Most of the transmission failures are from people hauling overweight loads and/or racing with power adders. To see if it slips, find a long straight lonely road, put the pedal to the floor and keep an eye on the tach. If you see the RPM's jump up as it shifts, your transmission is slipping and will need to be rebuilt. If you choose to rebuild yourself you may want to look into some of the heavy duty aftermarket kits available from companies like Sun Coast. Especially since it already has some power adders, and I'm sure you're already thinking about what to do next.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:48 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Normally, I don't chime in on post like yours but you seem sincere as well as excited.

You just don't know the history buying second or third hand units. I like the higher mileage units because they've most often been taken care of. I've seen some with 70k ruined by lack of regular maintenance.

These are as Bulletproof as they come. I wouldn't concern myself with the big items. If they're on their way out you'll know it.

Suggest a "complete service" ALL Fluids and Filters (which some you have already done) and go from there. Use the "proper" fluid and filter. Most people here have their own ideas (as do I) and that can be overwhelming doing research. I'd start with OEM until you get a grasp. You can't go wrong using OEM. You can however destroy everything using the wrong or the "good for all makes and models" labels.

I would be seeking some problem items such as an IPR / ICP / CMP.... The things that would stop you in your tracks and carry them with you. You can get a known good ones or purchase new. There are "tricks" to get around many if they fail. Just read this forum and you'll find them.

When money is available you may wish to replace O-Rings on some other "problem" points such as: Fuel Bowl Drain, HPOP Lines, Oil Cooler (don't remove the header and you'll be ahead of the game), Turbo Pedestal, etc.

Good luck and many miles!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Thanks for all the replies guys! Well sounds like the K&N intake is going to go, haha.

Originally Posted by Bonanza35
I don't think DP tuner can tune your TS chip. Some one like PHP, Gearhead, tony Wildman can do that for you. K&N filters have a bad rep here. But for me, I'd go with the AIS filter instead. Its quite. Truck looks great, some others will come in soon.
Thanks! I'll probably have to talk to DP myself to see what they can do. And yeah I was considering either the AIS or the 6637.

Originally Posted by Pikachu
The K&Ns have a bad reputation on diesels. I wouldn't have one on mine. Pull the intake tubes off and look at the turbocharger compressor wheel. Make sure it isn't chewed up and all the fins have nice square edges.

Make sure all the boot clamps on the CAC tubes and plenums/spider are tight.

A fuel pressure gauge can be very helpful if you need to diagnose problems, too.

Once in a while, check for any fluid leaks in the valley in the middle of the engine.

You already know a lot about the glow plug system, so no need to address that

Otherwise, you have a wealth of information available from the people here if you need help. This group is very knowledgeable, and I've found people here really go above and beyond for others.
Thanks man! I had a feeling on that about the K&N's, I'd never really heard of many people using them on diesels. Thanks I'll be sure to check all that out, when I get a chance. I was planning on adding a fuel gauge in the future, when I can. And yeah since the oil cooler leak, I have been checking for leaks every once and a while now. Yup I know a lot more about the glow plug system now. And yeah I know I can always count on the great people on here to help out with anything I might need. It really is great to have such a good resource at hand if I need it. Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by t.scottNDU
I would definitely change the oil if you haven't since it became yours. Even if the dealership said it was just changed, do it anyway. At least then you'll KNOW, and have a good baseline to help you keep track of your intervals.

I change oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and coolant filter every 5,000 miles. Some say the fuel filter is overkill, but I'm not willing to risk issues over a $20 filter. I'll just change it each time.
I use Donaldson for all filters, except fuel where I stick with Motorcraft/Racor. Lately I've been using the big Donaldson Endurance ELF7045 oil filter that's made for the Caterpillar 3406. Using Shell Rotella T6 5W-40.
Air filter... I'll get to that in a minute.

I'd lose the K&N as well. I'm sure you'll get a couple guys in here soon defending it, but to me it's just not worth the risk of its reputation. The Ford/Donaldson AIS intake however, is developed by Donaldson, approved by Ford, outflows and definitely out-filters most other intakes out there, & for a cheaper price. Some have reported 30,000 miles+ before replacing the filter as well. I have about 5k on mine and it hasn't blinked. But I'm 100% on-road.

You should check with DP-Tuner about your chip question (someone from there might chime in on this thread), but I'd like to say they will tune your chip. I think it's their chips that can't be tuned by others... I highly recommend them all around, great to deal with and a very nice product.

Anyway, great lookin truck! A 7.3L as a first vehicle... Lucky man. I had a good many years driving a dogged out TDI Jetta and saving my money before I could step into my truck. Take care of her and she'll take care of you. Enjoy it!
Thanks Tyler! Yeah I was wanting to change the oil and really give the truck a full service here as soon as possible. For, just like you said, so I know when everything was changed and I have a baseline. Thanks for the recommendations on the oil and filter changes, that's probably what I'll do and I'll see on the fuel filter once I get to the next service.

On the air filter I think I'm going to go with the 6637 kit from Riffraff, because its cheaper, and run that for a while, and see how I like it, and then go with the AIS if I want, in the future.

Yeah I think I'll have to check with DP myself. But like you said, I think I've read a few times before, that DP can tune anything, but only DP can tune their own tuners like the F5 and F6. I think...

Thanks! I am thankful that I'm lucky enough to have a nice truck right now, I don't want to take it for granted, and hope to take as good of care of it as possible. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time.

Originally Posted by greg_8507
The transmissions usually hold up pretty well as long as you stick the the routine maintenance and don't push it beyond what it was designed and built for. Most of the transmission failures are from people hauling overweight loads and/or racing with power adders. To see if it slips, find a long straight lonely road, put the pedal to the floor and keep an eye on the tach. If you see the RPM's jump up as it shifts, your transmission is slipping and will need to be rebuilt. If you choose to rebuild yourself you may want to look into some of the heavy duty aftermarket kits available from companies like Sun Coast. Especially since it already has some power adders, and I'm sure you're already thinking about what to do next.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try it once winter starts to clear up, and the roads start to get a little better. I hope it holds up ok, I'll try not to beat on it too much. But seriously I probably won't because I really don't want to have to pay for a transmission rebuild if I don't have too. Yeah I do have a lot of plans for it, but I want to do it right and build it up fist with at least a built transmission, and hopefully someday even to rebuild and build up the engine, before I add any serious power adders, like injectors and turbo. It'll all happen someday, when money allows it.

Originally Posted by whitetmw
Normally, I don't chime in on post like yours but you seem sincere as well as excited.

You just don't know the history buying second or third hand units. I like the higher mileage units because they've most often been taken care of. I've seen some with 70k ruined by lack of regular maintenance.

These are as Bulletproof as they come. I wouldn't concern myself with the big items. If they're on their way out you'll know it.

Suggest a "complete service" ALL Fluids and Filters (which some you have already done) and go from there. Use the "proper" fluid and filter. Most people here have their own ideas (as do I) and that can be overwhelming doing research. I'd start with OEM until you get a grasp. You can't go wrong using OEM. You can however destroy everything using the wrong or the "good for all makes and models" labels.

I would be seeking some problem items such as an IPR / ICP / CMP.... The things that would stop you in your tracks and carry them with you. You can get a known good ones or purchase new. There are "tricks" to get around many if they fail. Just read this forum and you'll find them.

When money is available you may wish to replace O-Rings on some other "problem" points such as: Fuel Bowl Drain, HPOP Lines, Oil Cooler (don't remove the header and you'll be ahead of the game), Turbo Pedestal, etc.

Good luck and many miles!
Thanks for your input Tom!

Yeah I know that's what ya get when you buy a used vehicle, and that's what I was thinking with the higher, its made it this far so I would assume that it probably hasn't been abused or neglected too much, before I had it. Like I said as soon as I can I would like to do a full service to it. I will probably stick with OEM filters.

I think when money allows it, I will look into to getting all that, since I know those are some common things to have fail, and it would be nice to have them on hand if I need them.

So should I go as far as transmission and differential fluid, and if so what should I use for them? I'm definitely going to do oil and oil filter, of course. I was going to go with some synthetic 5w-40 for the winter at least. I also wanted to put some synthetic fluid in the power steering, because its pretty loud and that's what someone recommended to do for it.

Thanks for all of your advice guys, you are a great help.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:34 PM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
check the brake line behind the fuel tank for rust its a notorious spot and can leave in a bad way when you least need it,also check the fuel lines on the top of the engine on passenger side one rubs through on a clip that holds it in place,the other tends to leak all the way in the back behind the valve cover where its a PITA to see,check the brake fluid for color and put changing that on your list and the power steering flush also,can help with mushy pedal,I try to think safety first,and guess how i know about these problems,and if you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask

Old 01-30-2014, 08:38 PM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
also make sure the dealer has updated all tsb's and recalls

Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 AM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
lets clear up the K&N filter issue.. The issue is the stock "drop in" replacement.They tend to leak around the seal.I ran a K&N cone for over 200,000 miles with no issues. Like any other oiled filters, they do require service.
Congrats on the truck..Very nice.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:31 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jgilrfr
check the brake line behind the fuel tank for rust its a notorious spot and can leave in a bad way when you least need it,also check the fuel lines on the top of the engine on passenger side one rubs through on a clip that holds it in place,the other tends to leak all the way in the back behind the valve cover where its a PITA to see,check the brake fluid for color and put changing that on your list and the power steering flush also,can help with mushy pedal,I try to think safety first,and guess how i know about these problems,and if you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask
Thanks for all those tips, I hadn't even thought about checking any of that, I'll be sure to check it all out. And ok I'll definitely make sure to change the brake fluid too. I'd have to agree on getting all the safety concerns out of the way first.

Originally Posted by joeyd61
lets clear up the K&N filter issue.. The issue is the stock "drop in" replacement.They tend to leak around the seal.I ran a K&N cone for over 200,000 miles with no issues. Like any other oiled filters, they do require service.
Congrats on the truck..Very nice.
Ok thanks for clearing that up. I think I'll still go ahead and give the 6637 a try though, just to be safe.

And thanks, I'm pretty happy with it. Man, your truck looks awesome too. g I looked through some of your pics, it looks sweet. I love the black and tan, and everything you've done to it. I would love to get mine close to yours someday, engine and suspension/tires, and everything. That would be sweet, but it will be awhile before that happens. I also love what you did with your seats, I was thinking of doing something similar to mine someday, before I even saw yours haha. They look great. And are those Aussie stacks, and what size are they? They look good too. Thanks for your input.

So with the full service I was going to change the oil, oil filter, brake fluid, power steering fluid, rotate the tires, and check everything you guys suggested. Is that about it? I think I know what I'm going to use for the oil, but what do you guys suggest for the rest? And should I do transmission fluid and differential fluid as well? I think I'm going to take this week and get everything I need to do, and then do it next weekend. Thanks guys!

Old 02-01-2014, 09:32 PM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
I use Amsoil ATF, but any trans fluid rated for Mercon V should be fine. Your rear end should have a metal tag stating which diff fluid to use, but I believe it's 75-140? If you have a limited slip rear end you will need to add friction modifier as well. I think a 4oz bottle will do the trick. Someone will hopefully chime in and verify.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:32 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by t.scottNDU
I use Amsoil ATF, but any trans fluid rated for Mercon V should be fine. Your rear end should have a metal tag stating which diff fluid to use, but I believe it's 75-140? If you have a limited slip rear end you will need to add friction modifier as well. I think a 4oz bottle will do the trick. Someone will hopefully chime in and verify.
Thanks for the input, I'll have to look into that. Are most of these fluids I could get at a local auto parts store or not? If they are that would make it a lot easier for me. And how can I tell if I have a limited slip rear end or not?

Ok I thought of another question. With the gauges, what are the recommended readings for those? I've got the EGT, Boost, and Trans temp.