1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Duty 6.2L engines noises??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Duty 6.2L engines noises??

Alright, the loud cam phaser or fuel injector noise/tap..Is this just a cold weather issue or is this going to be like this all the time under start up? Mine was quiet until now (1200 miles) now under cold start loud knock/tap sound. Seemed to go away when truck warmed up and was idling. Did anyone have this and take to dealer? Was or Is there any fix to this noise.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:44 PM
96grimreaper
Senior User
Mine does the same thing under load when cold, after it's at full operating temp it goes away. I'm at 950 miles and when I talked to the dealer the other day they told me it was normal.

Any time something seems off with my vehicles under warranty I go in and make a record of it, just in case something goes boom I have proof I made them aware of it.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Originally Posted by 96grimreaper
Mine does the same thing under load when cold, after it's at full operating temp it goes away. I'm at 950 miles and when I talked to the dealer the other day they told me it was normal.

Any time something seems off with my vehicles under warranty I go in and make a record of it, just in case something goes boom I have proof I made them aware of it.

Thanks Shaun, Mine is a 14 also, this is ridiculous. Your telling me Ford cant produce a gas engine that can run quietly..My 5.4SD ran quiet,, no tap or noise..An ole 2002 engine runs quiet and now the latest greatest tech savy engine has to sound like a 1970's diesel engine...

Old 01-28-2014, 01:44 PM
96grimreaper
Senior User
Originally Posted by Go Big or Go Home!
Thanks Shaun, Mine is a 14 also, this is ridiculous. Your telling me Ford cant produce a gas engine that can run quietly..My 5.4SD ran quiet,, no tap or noise..An ole 2002 engine runs quiet and now the latest greatest tech savy engine has to sound like a 1970's diesel engine...
I wish they would....The 4.6 2V I had in my 2010 F150 did the same thing. It sounded just like a diesel when it was cold out. I'm going to take mine in for an oil change at about 1500 miles and complain about it again. I really hope it's just a little noise and not the precursor to a real issue.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
I wish they would....The 4.6 2V I had in my 2010 F150 did the same thing. It sounded just like a diesel when it was cold out. I'm going to take mine in for an oil change at about 1500 miles and complain about it again. I really hope it's just a little noise and not the precursor to a real issue.
It sounded like the service manager had heard my complaint before and said he has gotten a few calls on this sound from the 6.2L. If I wanted a freakin diesel engine I would have bought one..Thats why I bought the gas engine,,so I didn't have to listen to the tick/tap sound while starting my truck..Makes me want to slap a 6.7 badge on side of my door. Give up a 13F150 w/issues and now a 14F250 with issues..Can they build a truck anymore?

Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Go Big or Go Home!
Alright, the loud cam phaser or fuel injector noise/tap..Is this just a cold weather issue or is this going to be like this all the time under start up? Mine was quiet until now (1200 miles) now under cold start loud knock/tap sound...
Mine does the same thing under load when cold...
Hi Go Big or Go Home! or 96grimreaper,

Reach out to me via PM and I'll look into ways to help; to get the ball rolling, I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll start researching options.

Crystal

Old 01-29-2014, 11:04 AM
96grimreaper
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi Go Big or Go Home! or 96grimreaper,

Reach out to me via PM and I'll look into ways to help; to get the ball rolling, I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll start researching options.

Crystal
Thank you Crystal, I'll shoot you a pm if I get the run around when I go in for my oil change soon.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:55 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Thank you Crystal, I'll shoot you a pm if I get the run around when I go in for my oil change soon.
Sounds good, 96grimreaper; I'll be here.

Crystal

Old 01-29-2014, 06:51 PM
HALO1
Junior User
I hope you all get response from your dealer than I did from mine. when I took it for engine noise, ( Couldn't duplicate) Salesman heard the day I drop it off and they had it a week when I went to pick it up the salesman came out to talk to me I started the truck I got pissed off he tried to get me to leave it again but I said if they can't duplicate in a week I need to do something else

Old 01-30-2014, 09:26 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by HALO1
I hope you all get response from your dealer than I did from mine. when I took it for engine noise, ( Couldn't duplicate) Salesman heard the day I drop it off and they had it a week when I went to pick it up the salesman came out to talk to me I started the truck I got pissed off he tried to get me to leave it again but I said if they can't duplicate in a week I need to do something else
Hi HALO1,

I want to look into this further. Send a PM my way with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll see what I can do to assist.

Crystal

Old 01-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same issue but it turns out the 6.2L is prone to noisy injectors. Get a cheap stethoscope and poke around near the injectors when it's cold. Mine only does it in the cold and sometimes when it's warm out. I have 8,000 miles on my truck. I switched to motorcraft Synthetic at my last oil change (dealer). And I have the noise 1 out of 10 times.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:47 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kdr358
I had the same issue but it turns out the 6.2L is prone to noisy injectors. Get a cheap stethoscope and poke around near the injectors when it's cold. Mine only does it in the cold and sometimes when it's warm out. I have 8,000 miles on my truck. I switched to motorcraft Synthetic at my last oil change (dealer). And I have the noise 1 out of 10 times.
The funny thing is some say injector noise and others say cam phaser noise..Who knows maybe its both. If it is part of normal engine operation I can accept it and engine runs strong w/o issue. I just wanted to know what guys are doing to minimize the noise,, is it full synthetic, any additives used, can it be run higher octane fuel..Just looking for ideas..

Old 01-30-2014, 01:37 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Motorcraft 5-20 syn with the 820s MC filter. I noticed it drop dramatically within the first 500 miles. Stay away from any "additives" modern oils/ motors do not require them, well most never did.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kdr358
Motorcraft 5-20 syn with the 820s MC filter. I noticed it drop dramatically within the first 500 miles. Stay away from any "additives" modern oils/ motors do not require them, well most never did.
Do you mean Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5W-20?

Old 02-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Ruster
4wd Low
I bought a leftover 2012 F250 in 04/13. I test drove numerous 250s, all 6.2Ls, 2011-2013s, and perhaps 60% of them seemed to have this unusually noticeable ticking sound, most predominant around 1500-2000 rpm. I am a machinist and former auto mechanic. I've rebuilt engines. I have been researching this ticking issue since I bought this truck. I've probably read a hundred posts, articles, paragraphs, etc., regarding complaints and conjecture as such.

I just want to know: WHAT SPECIFIC ENGINE COMPONENT PRODUCES THE TAPPING NOISE?

I WANT AN ANSWER, NOT AN OPINION!!!

Perhaps "Crystal" can get a memo past the corporate barricades to Mike Harrison, the supposed "lead engineer" that actually made this engine. If anyone, can't even Mr. Harrison answer my simple question?

This is 2014!!! We have the technology and the resources! I come from a family of engineers, so let's get seriously to the bottom of the matter. I want to know what this obnoxious ticking is so I can persue my own endeavour to reduce its perceptive noise level within the cabin (which is my simple, ultimate goal).

Mike Harrison, Crystal, Ghost of Henry Ford, anyone: WHAT ENGINE PART MAKES THAT TAPPING NOISE?

Russell D
Attleboro Massachusetts

Quick Reply: Super Duty 6.2L engines noises??