6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

2014 SD 6.2L questions....

Old 01-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what a cam phaser noise is suppose to sound like but this was a injector tap, that I had heard in previous Ford 5.4 and Dodge truck. I will see if it persists or intermittment, the fan going on is annoying as hell, robs truck of power, but I cant live with it. I will not live with this injector tap..I will give it another week and see if it continues,,if so it will be back at dealer either to fix or replace.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:35 AM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Originally Posted by Go Big or Go Home!
I don't know what a cam phaser noise is suppose to sound like but this was a injector tap, that I had heard in previous Ford 5.4 and Dodge truck. I will see if it persists or intermittment, the fan going on is annoying as hell, robs truck of power, but I cant live with it. I will not live with this injector tap..I will give it another week and see if it continues,,if so it will be back at dealer either to fix or replace.

The cam phasars sound like bad valve lifters rattling and it is very loud.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Originally Posted by JohnnyThunder
The cam phasars sound like bad valve lifters rattling and it is very loud.
Is this just during a cold start up? It seems as the truck warms up and runs for a while and come home and idle in driveway the sound is not there, truck idles fine. Will this cam phaser not be as loud in the summer months? Just cracks me up that the truck didn't make a sound for the first 1000 miles and now yesterday, which was not any colder than any other day it got that Cam/injector noise..Geez this is crap. Trade in one truck with issues and now got a new set of issues to deal with..

Old 01-29-2014, 06:38 AM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
It is just a random thing and according Ford and my dealer, it depends on where they are when the engine is shut off if they rattle or not. They are the what controls the variable cam timing and are driven by oil pressure so if they have to change position very far they rattle as the oil bleeds out of them. This is what I have been told by the dealer and I have talked to a few others also who have 6.2's and it seems to be a consistent random thing. I cannot say with any certianty that temp has any effect on the issue and I don't even listen for it anymore. It was in the fall right after I got it that I first noticed it.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:59 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Just cracks me up that in my test drive which was cold, the engine was quiet and no ticking noise..Its like you flipped a switch and as soon as the truck hit 1100, it starts with that loud clack..And now FORD/Dealer says its normal and nothing they can do.. Hey how about in the sales process, notify buyer that this cam phaser could develop and don't be alarmed. I am sure it might not be harmful but darn at least offer ways to quiet the sucker down..Why in the heck would a FORD engineer think this would be ok to listen to..You expect that out of a diesel but not a gas engine..

Old 01-29-2014, 07:35 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I'm a little disappointed with my 6.2 right now also because of the noises. I got out of a 3v 5.4 that was noisy and was hoping this one would be better. It has a noticeable injector tick all the time and then there is the cold start whirring/whistling sound that I can't pinpoint. It sounds like it's coming from top center of the engine where the alternator and intake is. Dealer says Ford told them it was the way the cold air goes through the intake. Funny thing is that the engine made the sound on a day when it was 40 and I don't remember it making those sounds last winter or any of the cold days we had at the beginning of the fall.

Right now I'm just going to live with it until the temps stay above 40 all the time, and then if it's still making the noise I'm going to start making some noise with my dealer to get it fixed since they nor Ford will be able to use the cold air excuse for the cause of noise. It's funny with all the technology these days that Ford can't build an engine that is quiet all the time, the 2v tritons and the older push rod engines were 10 times quieter than any of these new engines. I'm starting to think there is too much going on inside these new engines for them to run quiet.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Powelligator
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are starting to spook me with the fear that one random day my engine is going to wake up and start sounding like a diesel.

So far, under 5K miles and I am amazed at how silent this engine is compared to my old 460. A bit of fan noise until it warms up then... nothing. I used Mobil 1 on the last oil change, I'm hoping that might head off any cam gear or whatever issues. I have yet to identify any ticking that could be traced to an injector.

-Joe

Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Originally Posted by Powelligator
You guys are starting to spook me with the fear that one random day my engine is going to wake up and start sounding like a diesel.

So far, under 5K miles and I am amazed at how silent this engine is compared to my old 460. A bit of fan noise until it warms up then... nothing. I used Mobil 1 on the last oil change, I'm hoping that might head off any cam gear or whatever issues. I have yet to identify any ticking that could be traced to an injector.

-Joe
I thought the same thing, then the other day, loud tick/knock sound..I am not sure if I can live with it..If it is a cold weather issue I could but others say it gets worse when it is warm..My 02 SD 5.4 was a quiet engine. I cant believe that 12 years later Ford builds a POS noisy GAS engine..Makes me wish I would have bought the 6.7..this way ticks are part of the diesel sound..I just want to know is if there is anything that could be done to reduce the noise of these cam phasers..

Old 01-31-2014, 08:56 AM
JimRay
Junior User
Coming into a Ford Truck website and calling your Ford a POS is ....... not very conducive to good conversation. If you have a problem, let's discuss it and get some answers. I would be very careful to tread where you're headed as you may not like the feed back you get.

These new trucks (and technology in general) are more advanced and I applaud Ford Motor Company for staying ahead of the curve. Remember you have a truck, not a Lincoln and a little engine noise can be expected from a truck. If it's abnormally loud, the powers that be will address it.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:14 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Originally Posted by JimRay
Coming into a Ford Truck website and calling your Ford a POS is ....... not very conducive to good conversation. If you have a problem, let's discuss it and get some answers. I would be very careful to tread where you're headed as you may not like the feed back you get.

These new trucks (and technology in general) are more advanced and I applaud Ford Motor Company for staying ahead of the curve. Remember you have a truck, not a Lincoln and a little engine noise can be expected from a truck. If it's abnormally loud, the powers that be will address it.
Jim, My frustration gets the better of me. If this truck made the sound during the test drive and idling then I chose to buy it would be shame on me,,this truck was quiet even during these cold days for the past month and then all of sudden hear comes the tick/clack very loud and now told its normal..If it were normal then why didn't it do it right way,,I don't agree with the new tech of these trucks,, to say an engineer cant design a V8 w/o all these loud injectors/cam phasers so an engine can perform..I would have to question that. I was looking for any suggestions about how to quiet them down w/o trading in the truck..

Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 AM
JimRay
Junior User
I think you bought yours about the time I got mine. How many mile do you have on it now?

Oil change yet?

Old 01-31-2014, 09:30 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Originally Posted by JimRay
I think you bought yours about the time I got mine. How many mile do you have on it now?

Oil change yet?
I got 1265 miles on truck..Does it need to be changed this soon..I was wondering if I went with Motorcraft Full Synthetic over the semi-syn if that would help in any way or a waste of money?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:13 AM
JimRay
Junior User
Dang, you need to drive it........but I digress (I have 4k+). I have heard some "different" noises from under the hood, but not to a level it would concern me. I'm an "engine" guy and understand the violet nature of what's going on in there. As long as it's not "down low" I wouldn't be too concerned, but don't think it might go away either. That's doubtful. Have you taken it to someone other than Ford to take a listen?

I have had good luck with synthetic oil but i would check your owners manual and see what it says.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:39 AM
rvpuller
Received 428 Likes on 280 Posts
I'm originally from Duluth MN, spent time in the UP of Michigan and ran service trucks in Nebraska and every motor I have ever had made noises when it was cold. The injectors on my 351W work truck sounded like lifters when it was around 0 outside. All of them survived the cold but I also warmed them up before any hard driving, you have to remember clearances change when the temp drops that far below normal operating engine temps. Back in the 60s in MN we would run 5W oil just to get them to start until the temps got above 0.

Denny

Old 01-31-2014, 01:02 PM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Originally Posted by rvpuller
I'm originally from Duluth MN, spent time in the UP of Michigan and ran service trucks in Nebraska and every motor I have ever had made noises when it was cold. The injectors on my 351W work truck sounded like lifters when it was around 0 outside. All of them survived the cold but I also warmed them up before any hard driving, you have to remember clearances change when the temp drops that far below normal operating engine temps. Back in the 60s in MN we would run 5W oil just to get them to start until the temps got above 0.

Denny
That's what I was wondering if the injector/phaser noise was more due to the cold and would quiet down come spring..and if I went to full syn would that offer any diff to quiet the noises..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 SD 6.2L questions....