1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hey Gang, time for another round of: What's wrong with this truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
How could you see that drooping bed angle, when "restoring" and not fix it???????
Reminds me of a dog dragging his butt across the floor......
The black ashtray would drive me nuts as well.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:59 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by tinman52
The black ashtray would drive me nuts as well.

At least put the pull **** back on it, it looks like it's missing and yet another hole left behind.

My comments earlier aren't intended to put down the truck, it's just that this is very experienced seller who should know better than to present it that way especially with the phrase 'no expense spared'. With relatively little expense and time, they could address many of the issues.
In a way there is a very positive side of that truck having bids that high.
It sure makes me feel good about the money I've spent on my truck so far and if I ever fell upon hard times (you never know what the immediate future could throw at us) I would be able to present my truck for sale and recover a decent amount of it.
Having said that, I'm watching the listing to see where it ends up since this particular truck is a good indicator of the current market of our hobby in these bizarre economic and political times. It's a mid-winter sale too.
I have absolutely no plans to sell my truck when it is finished but when I take the extra time to get some details correct, or place yet another order from the parts catalog I'll feel like it's even more worth it.

This is a nice lively thread and I hope the new buyer of that truck comes here, joins up and gets a FREE list of everything he could to do to have a beauty to be more proud of.
We all know that regardless of what our trucks look like or what we paid for them when we roll them into the driveway for the first time, it's a great feeling of pride.

Tom

Old 01-24-2014, 09:30 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The bed boards look homemade, no rabbets for the bed strips, butted tight left no room for expansion, so they buckled, plus if you aren't going to use quarter sawn wood then the boards should have been arranged so the "cup" (curve of the end grain, "smiles and frowns") alternated.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:01 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
My intention with this thread, and a previous version, was part educational, part entertainment, with some snark mixed in. The trucks I picked were presented as 'no expense spared' high end resto. I'll not pick on a humble hobbiest -cause I'm one of those - but only highlight cases were something just doesn't track.

The comments have all made my reviewer eye more careful - one of the benefits of FTE crowd sourced expertise.

Play on!

Old 01-24-2014, 11:01 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I truely hope none of you guys ever see Homade up close , think I would be crying by now but, that being said I don't boast that Homade is anything but home-made but there are soooo many things wrong with that truck that a little more time and very little expense would have cured. I don't think the current bid is a real bid, probably see this one around again still for sale.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:52 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of the great things about having these trucks is that we make them how we want them - whether making them just like they were built by Ford or shades of dark or complete darkside. They end up being an extension of our personalities limited by what we can do and/or afford. It would be easy to pick mine apart and I suspect that is the same for many, but that is not what this is all about for most of us. I see trucks on here that I think are great that cover the whole spectrum of restoration to restomod to total darkside. And I would bet that nobody on here thinks their truck is perfect.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:01 PM
pineconeford

Originally Posted by topmoo
..... And I would bet that nobody on here thinks their truck is perfect.

True. Mine is perfectly cobbled together, but not cobbled perfectly from about 27 different '48-'52 trucks.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:22 PM
pineconeford

Originally Posted by homade
I don't think the current bid is a real bid, probably see this one around again still for sale.
I kinda agree with this too. The current bidder has no history with E-Bay and has jumped in three times recently to ratchet up the bidding when another bidder comes along. Now it could be a genuine buyer who has decided to make his very first transaction on E-Bay not a set of spark plug wires, not a pair of used hubcaps but instead a whole restored truck....or it could be that the retail seller has gotten some 'help' from his friends to nudge it along until the reserve is met by someone else.
Well that bidder is currently in the lead let's see what happens.

I also noticed that this seller has a Thunderbird for sale with some mysterious bidder action on it. The current high bidder on that one also is a fairly new E-Bayer who has done all their bid history on items being sold by this place - again they aren't buying any other type of product like most people do on E-Bay. And that bidder is bidding on both old Chevy's and Fords! If it were a real high-end enthusiast or collector they wouldn't be bothering with this type of auction but would deal with a seller directly. Smells fishy. My opinion.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:23 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Of course you have to take into account the fact the description was written by a broker looking to make a large commission by getting the highest possible price for the truck. How high do you think the bids would go if the description said "this POS truck has a lot of problems the owner never got around to or couldn't afford to fix."
Hype speak:
No expenses spared... = he spent all the money he had on the truck, nothing left to finish it with.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:39 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Here is the email exchange with the seller:

Dear pristineclassics,

Why is the bed wood so bulged? Is it warped? Also, was the box replaced? It doesn't sit level to the cab and is missing the embossed sides for the vintage.

Thanks

DW

And their response:

Dear DW,

we are fixing bed as far as ben not level its no issue it is level

- pristineclassics

So there you have it. Everything is fine, nothing is wrong - and these are not the droids we're looking for < Jedi hand wave required>

DW

Old 01-24-2014, 12:57 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like it with all it's flaws. Now if the price would reflect it's flaws it may
even be affordable. I would level the box, fix the bed wood and a few other things
like the heater. Than Mercury clone it. I love the color.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:47 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
AS I see it the fenders on the rear seem to be level. so if you raised the rear of the bed ,then the front of the fender would be pointed down and the rear up .

Old 01-24-2014, 02:57 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
DR, you're right, makes me think the rear fenders may be fibreglass. They get drilled wherever you want holes. If they are steel, they must have slotted the holes.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by topmoo
One of the great things about having these trucks is that we make them how we want them - whether making them just like they were built by Ford or shades of dark or complete darkside. They end up being an extension of our personalities limited by what we can do and/or afford. It would be easy to pick mine apart and I suspect that is the same for many, but that is not what this is all about for most of us. I see trucks on here that I think are great that cover the whole spectrum of restoration to restomod to total darkside. And I would bet that nobody on here thinks their truck is perfect.
That's very well said! I know where all the flaws on my truck are, I don't need any help to find them. I find new ones every day! We shouldn't be too cruel in these "pick-aparts", who knows, the new owner may come on here. Won't help if he finds out we thought it was a polished turd and overpriced.

That said, I bet So. Florida in the winter is the perfect place to get top dollar. Lots of snowbird money to spend on a toy to drive around the winter neighborhood.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:57 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Florida in the winter is the perfect place to get top dollar. Lots of snowbird money to spend on a toy to drive around the winter neighborhood.
This is so true. A guy buys something like this, drives it a few months during the winter, stores it when he goes north.

And since no one mentioned it, I'll say something about the door jam rubber bumper missing in at least one place and painted over in another. Then there is the hood trim.
Probably a pretty nice truck with a few apparent issues corrected.

Quick Reply: Hey Gang, time for another round of: What's wrong with this truck?