1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I used to think rat rods were kind of cool.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Dobies4life
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to think rat rods were kind of cool.

Until i saw this.....

RATROD...PROJECT..PROJECT

further confirming my theory of " the world is full of stupid people."

Old 01-21-2014, 12:12 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Wow. That thing is just a bad idea with rust attached.

Gee, I wonder what tranny I want next to my knees with a drive shaft near my ears...

Old 01-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Yeah bigwin (I think) posted that one last week. There's a line between adjectives like neat, cool, unique, interesting and just plain WTH. And there's a line between an interesting vehicle that is road-worthy, and one that would kill a dozen if given the chance. That heap crosses both lines and many more.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 PM
OldGrayMare
Senior User
"Project....no engine or granny"

That's nice, he is not going to throw Granny in on the deal.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:37 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
2500.00 ?????? For what, a pile of scrap iron? The rear axle isn't even attached, there is nothing there that wasn't pulled out of a farmers scrap pile.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:44 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by OldGrayMare
"Project....no engine or granny"

That's nice, he is not going to throw Granny in on the deal.
Watch for a separate CL ad for granny...

Old 01-21-2014, 02:49 PM
big schott
Junior User
I might have thought about it if "granny" was include.
WTF, he meant $25, Right?

I have a bare frame right now and if I quit working on it I know it is not worth what I have into it..... That's why you finish,,,, and don't start a project that only a few people would appreciate.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:57 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Wow. That thing is just a bad idea with rust attached.

Gee, I wonder what tranny I want next to my knees with a drive shaft near my ears...
Your description reminds me of the old-school front engine rails. Your legs are quite literally draped over the axle housings. The "pumpkin" is pretty much in your crotch and your feet are on either side of the transmission. Keep in mind that an automatic transmission behind 1000 HP is nothing less than a bomb that hasn't gone off yet. It's how Big Daddy Don lost part of his foot.

Edit: I found a pretty good picture of the inside of a cockpit, and a picture of what it looks like sitting in one.

Attached Images   

Last edited by EffieTrucker; 01-21-2014 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Found some pictures.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:54 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a bunch of scrap metal piled up together and that's what is is worth , scrap metal price. The front axle may be bolted to the frame and maybe not.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:59 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Yeah bigwin (I think) posted that one last week. There's a line between adjectives like neat, cool, unique, interesting and just plain WTH. And there's a line between an interesting vehicle that is road-worthy, and one that would kill a dozen if given the chance. That heap crosses both lines and many more.
Yep it was me.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-rat-rods.html

Old 01-21-2014, 10:14 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Man it's cold outside. My kid is having equipment break downs because of it. I got the kid's girlfriend's brother's car painted last night. Work went pretty well today, no major problems.

Oh, sorry, just trying not to be negative about rat rods again. Thought I'd talk about something else. If I did say something about it it would be all negative.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Your description reminds me of the old-school front engine rails. Your legs are quite literally draped over the axle housings. The "pumpkin" is pretty much in your crotch and your feet are on either side of the transmission. Keep in mind that an automatic transmission behind 1000 HP is nothing less than a bomb that hasn't gone off yet. It's how Big Daddy Don lost part of his foot.

Edit: I found a pretty good picture of the inside of a cockpit, and a picture of what it looks like sitting in one.
Exactly why you don't see front engine dragsters competing today except in nostalgia exhibition races or cacklefests.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:09 PM
Aus56
Elder User
It certainly looks a risky seating position, although at the time the change was happening, I thought the main reason mentioned was that if a front mounted engine blew up, you could well end up with a flaming engine being blown back onto you. With the rear engine obviously it blew back away from you. Quite possibly a combination of things that reached its time to happen. Like rollover bars on midgets and sprint cars that saved a lot of lives.

I saw a picture of a midget speedcar driver leaning right out of his cockpit while another midgets front wheel drove right through the cockpit in a crash.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:03 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Man it's cold outside. My kid is having equipment break downs because of it. I got the kid's girlfriend's brother's car painted last night. Work went pretty well today, no major problems. Oh, sorry, just trying not to be negative about rat rods again. Thought I'd talk about something else. If I did say something about it it would be all negative.
It's cold here as well. It's -8F.

I drove right past you guys a few weeks back. We took a group of teenagers snowshoeing in northern MN during Christmas break. It got down to -32F, and we were camping outdoors.

We got caught in all that snow Jan. 1-2 on our way home. It took 8 hours to get from here to Madison, but took over 12 hours to get back.

I didn't say anything until after the trip because unfortunately it's better that some of the locals don't know I'm gone.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:25 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
I would have liked to see the cab and front end before he butchered it. I like the look of that grille

Quick Reply: I used to think rat rods were kind of cool.