E550 water leaking from cowl into drvside interior - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Reload this Page >

E550 water leaking from cowl into drvside interior

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Old 01-20-2014, 05:56 PM
flyboys101
Freshman User
flyboys101 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hello all, needing some help with a water leak in my E550 (van front /box back).

It is on the drivers side. Have pinpointed it down where the cowl drains. There is a drain hole in the cowl (have removed cowl cover) where the water goes into and most of it leaks into the cab. Runs down the interior wall down onto floor.
Have taken the inner fender cover out and notice that half of the water drains out of the tube (which is a black tube at 90 degrees from fender).

Please note that it is not the heater core, not coming from the windshield, not coming from the roof, etc. Have looked into all those points and can pinpoint a small stream of water into one tiny little area in the cowl at the drain hole and the only spot leaking is the drain area.

If I pull the fender off, I will still not be able to get to this drain tube any better.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can either replace the drain tube, pull more panels off to get to better or fix this without creating a back up causing more issues?

Have been at this off and on for months now with no results. Read somewhere that there was a bulletin from Ford about water leaks in their E450 and E550's but no one can confirm.

Appreciate the help. J

Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
What year is the cab?

Any photos of the suspected leaking area from top (under the cowl) or from the bottom, inner fender removed?

Old 01-21-2014, 09:57 AM
flyboys101
Freshman User
pictures

Yeah I guess that would be helpful. Sorry.

Well I have been trying for a frickin half hour now. Whats the trick? Keeps asking for a url location. Cant get it to see file in hard drive.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:05 AM
flyboys101
Freshman User
Well I would love to post a picture but it says I have to upload attachments then direct them.

I see further down that it says I am not allowed to add attachments. Not sure why. Sorry thanks for your help anyway.
Theres and hour I won't get back.

…after reading around further I guess I have to pay for that...

Old 01-21-2014, 10:08 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
No there's no money involved with displaying photos here---read this as it may be helpful: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...he-forums.html

OTOH sorry to have wasted your time. Most of us here are willing and eager to help but that does require follow-up info from time-to-time.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:33 AM
flyboys101
Freshman User
No, no you haven't wasted my time! Please don't take that the wrong way. Totally appreciate your time and help. Everyone else's time and help too is appreciated.

Some other forums you can post right from your drives and not have to go thru photobucket or other places. This extra step right now is just frustrating when I am short on time and high on frustration with this thing peeing water all the time.

Will be back when I get them on Photobuket.

Thanks,

Old 01-21-2014, 10:45 AM
flyboys101
Freshman User
Here are my photos.

First is from the bottom (inner fender removed) looking at the drain tube? I assume that black tube is the drain tube.

The other one is looking into the cowl area at the drain hole from the top.

Thoughts?

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-22-2014, 10:13 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
Having a tough time orienting myself to your photos and just where that hole and tube are located---my bad though. I'll assume your leak seems to be coming from item #3 in this drawing:

BTW I'm in the auto/truck glass biz so naturally my first instinct was a windshield leak. That seems to not be the case here, at least from what you've observed.

My next question is what year is your cab and to your knowledge has it ever been in a wreck?

If this leak is before your ownership are there signs an ongoing leak, those "tracks" water leaves behind as it trickles downward?

I'd try shining a light from inside to out or vice versa to confirm where its seeping through---confirming this is most important. If you've already done that, good.

I'm guessing the round hole is on a vertical panel, perhaps welded to the firewall, just under #3 above? If so I'd fit one of the factory-type plugs to see if that stops the leak:

I tried looking on my '03 E250 and can't get a hand behind the coolant reservoir or under the master cylinder far enough to feel for that hole.

Sorry can't be more helpful than this---tough to visualize this leak without being there in person.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:19 AM
flyboys101
Freshman User
Thanks for the info. Its a 2003 E550. Not sure my cowl area looks like that diagram exactly. Where did you get that? Would love to know what those numbers correlate to. Do you have the description of the numbers?
My leak is coming from where 6 and 3 would meet. I think that dot on 3 drivers side might be my drain hole. My second picture is looking at that dot or hole.

Wondering if I pull the fender off will plate 6 and 7 come off? From how I see it now it looks like it is spot welded on.

If you look at the number 2 plate and go to the drivers side edge, I am looking down into that last opening with my second picture. My drain is inside that opening at the bottom edge of the cowl on #3.

My first picture is looking upward from underneath in the inner fender area.

Was my truck hit? No…according to the last owner and car fax. But, when I have been showing this problem to different body shops, one guy noticed that my hood latch area was cracked and I noticed two small cracks on the nose of the hood (hides behind a wind deflector last owner had on ). I did also find some glass bits in the cowl when I opened it up. The windshield is pretty scratched too, looks like it may be a junk yard windshield.
I also replaced that air box when I bought it because it was cracked too. Just thought someone was rough with it because nothing else around it was even scratched (looked like old paint too). So…It might have been smacked a bit, nothing else shows major damage. If they fixed it it drives good and isn't noticeable otherwise.

Where would those 2 black plugs in your picture be located? I don't see anything resembling them. If I used them to plug the tube in my first picture, where does the water go then?
From what everyone has been telling me, the water drains down into that hole on 3, exit at that tube end from my first picture and drains downward outside of truck.

We've had the coolant res off. The water drains behind that firewall panel. Its in a weird spot. Looks like the cowl ties to the firewall but drains off more to the drivers side panels.

What part of the country are you in? Hoping you might be near NJ.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:36 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by flyboys101 View Post

What part of the country are you in? Hoping you might be near NJ.
Sadly not near NJ---can't get there anyway since the governor shut down all the bridges?

Have to dash out for a short while---let me better address your latest post then.

The cropped image is from a crash book or body repair manual--here's my PhotoBucket public viewable albums, the crash book has its own folder: Crash Photos by JWAPhotos | Photobucket Look for image Crash16.

Back in a bit!

Old 01-23-2014, 06:52 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
Okay back now----pesky job in the way doncha know?!?

In the crash book explosion parts #2>#7 are welded to #8. Removing the fenders will not affect any of those parts. Any drain holes in #3 would NOT exit inside the cabin UNLESS someone or something has created a passage.

Removing the fender(s) might give better access to the suspected leaking area or part----they're not that difficult to remove.

The body plugs I show are just extra pieces I have laying around but can be found in various places on the body. They're more for illustrating how a factory thru-passage (body to outside) are dealt with.

At this point I'm almost completely lost as to why there would be any opening allowing water to flow inside the cabin exists. Most anyone experienced with autobody repair would suspect some sort of crash regardless what PO or CarFax says. Small bits of glass in the lower wiper area (#3 above) suggests the windshield was not simply replaced---most glass installs do NOT result in such bits left behind. Add in the cowl trim panels (#1 above) have to be removed and most times that area is vacuumed or blown out before reassembly.

That's of little concern at this point though---have to deal with what is. Honestly I'd get a gob of something to plug the hole in your photo #2, see what effect that has. If it stops the water something more permanent like a thin piece of rubber sheeting glued in place over the hold with an exterior grade automotive adhesive similar to 3M's Super Weatherstrip adhesive.

Sorry I can't shed any more light on this FlyBoys101.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM
flyboys101
Freshman User
Thanks for your help though.

If I plug that area up the water will just pool up and probably lead to rust at some point. Has to leave the cowl somehow.

Thanks

Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Okay back now----pesky job in the way doncha know?!?

In the crash book explosion parts #2>#7 are welded to #8. Removing the fenders will not affect any of those parts. Any drain holes in #3 would NOT exit inside the cabin UNLESS someone or something has created a passage.

Removing the fender(s) might give better access to the suspected leaking area or part----they're not that difficult to remove.

The body plugs I show are just extra pieces I have laying around but can be found in various places on the body. They're more for illustrating how a factory thru-passage (body to outside) are dealt with.

At this point I'm almost completely lost as to why there would be any opening allowing water to flow inside the cabin exists. Most anyone experienced with autobody repair would suspect some sort of crash regardless what PO or CarFax says. Small bits of glass in the lower wiper area (#3 above) suggests the windshield was not simply replaced---most glass installs do NOT result in such bits left behind. Add in the cowl trim panels (#1 above) have to be removed and most times that area is vacuumed or blown out before reassembly.

That's of little concern at this point though---have to deal with what is. Honestly I'd get a gob of something to plug the hole in your photo #2, see what effect that has. If it stops the water something more permanent like a thin piece of rubber sheeting glued in place over the hold with an exterior grade automotive adhesive similar to 3M's Super Weatherstrip adhesive.

Sorry I can't shed any more light on this FlyBoys101.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:04 PM
econolinemanor
Senior User
econolinemanor is starting off with a positive reputation.
I washed and waxed my 02 in there last summer and there isn't any drains, the water just runs off the edge (#3) into the inner fender area and out the bottom. You might have the seal on the HVAC inlet leaking and running across to the drivers side.......the water ran out faster than I could clean and the soap keep drying up on me, so I let the garden hose run in there until I was done cleaning!

Old 01-23-2014, 03:44 PM
flyboys101
Freshman User
Thanks for replying but I have it down to a specific area. A lot of trial and error. See my previous posts. Sprayed a small stream of water into the end of the DRIVERS side COWL where the cowl ends at the drivers side. Wherever that drains, it drains down and leaks into cab. There is a hole (see pictures) in the cowl end.It looks like if that hole was not there it would just puddle up. The underside looks like there is a tube coming out of that same area. (See picture).

There is no HVAC in that area at all. All that is on the other side of van.

Thanks

Old 05-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Nat Wheatley
New User
Nat Wheatley is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did you ever end up tracking down the issue? I'm having the same problem, though the water is leaking through to the engine side instead of the cab.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E550 water leaking from cowl into drvside interior

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.